Co-Owning a horse...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frizzle's Gal

Reaction score
I know many people co-own horses. But I was wondering what you thought about it. ANd exactley how it works? Is it like leasing a horse? I know of a situation where the co-owner took the horse to her farm and is showing him and paying for all his expenses and taking him back to the original farm just for breeding since he is a stallion. Is this how it usually works? I have been looking at a horse from a friend of mines farm but he is a little to expensive for me. So I was wondering if this would be a good thing to try? Thanks in advance!

Co-owning as in a partnership or syndicate? Generally if your going to BUY the horse from the seller and a friend or other farm that you trust is interested, you generally split the money in 1/2 and then you co-own him. If its a syndicate you split it 3/4, 1/4 ext or however you do it with the amount of people.

If you co-own with the FARM thats selling him (or her), then i dont know.

I do know a few friend friends of mine that co-owned a stallion and it didnt work out well at all, just different views and plans for the horse. I'd say co-owning a stallion is hard and needs to be planned out waaay ahead and possibly even a signed agreement wouldnt hurt.

Hey, do you mind me asking which horse your looing at?
default_smile.png

I did co-own a stallion just a few years ago. I would NEVER do it again. The horse was syndicated, the woman who he was stabled with, got divorced, moved out of the state, and I have never seen the horse since, nor have I ever signed off on this horse. I feel sorry if this stallion is ever sold and the new owner is not told all of this. Corinne

I co-owned a horse with Lisa of Ruff N Tuff Miniatures here on the forum. Since I know her, and know her program, and know how she cares for and treats her horses, I had no fears about co-owning with her.

Co-owning a stallion (I would never co-own a mare or gelding, there really is no point) is generally good if each partner has something specific they want from the stallion (such as breedings) and both partners agree it will work out. It definitely allows you to purchase a horse more expensive than you might be able to otherwise afford.

However, if this is the case, also consider breeding to outside stallions, as this might be cheapest in the long run. If you have a really super mare and can breed to a really super stallion, you might get a super colt that you can retain for a stallion down the road. This is what breeders of really expensive breeds tend to do, as stud fees are never as expensive as buying a really nice stallion... it's only a fraction of the cost.

You also need a VERY thorough contract. Think of any and all fees related to said horse, and who is responsible for it. Think of any and all situations that can arise with the horse, and put stipulations in your contract that will cover and protect it.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

Andrea

A lot of people know that I co-own a stallion with Erica. What I think is that if you had 20 people who as pairs own 10 different horses, you'd have ten different ways as to "how it works". It can be a very individual type of thing.

I don't recommend it. The experience I had was negative however, I know of several people who co-own and continue to have great relationships with their co-owners. I am part of a syndicate with a group of people of similar values, so I feel fairly confident that I'll get my share of the stallion. If not, I'm not out a lot of money anyway. I would be very careful about choosing WHO (not what) you co-own with.

I would not do it. Learnt the hard way. Was going to co-own a stallion with my cousin, she backed out of the sale soon after and I paid for the stallion in full which I really could not afford. She nows thinks she stil co-owns him with me and I have told her nicely by e-mail that no she does not. I own this boy in full since I paid for him. So now I have 3 stallions and in May thought I would never be able to afford to replace the stallion I lost. I wish to thank Sandra Marcellus for finding me Goat Hills One For The Books and making a great deal with me, no moneys handed over, just a trade. Worked well for both of us. Then I wish to thank Shirley Vaughan for being so patient with me and letting me have 2 years to pay for Sunraes Last Chance For Spots, which happily only took me 3 months as I sold one of my older mini mares for quite a bit and even had enough left over to buy a replacement mare that I have liked for some time now. I also wish to thank Belinda Bagby who was so kind in offering me a colt, Cross Country New Kid In Town, from her breeding program. Kid is amazing and I hope if all goes well that I can send him for training with Murrays Miniatures in Ontario and have them show him in 2008 at AMHR Nationals. I also have a 2007 AMHR colt joining my herd this Saturday. He is AMHR, not yet registered and I get to name him. His barn name is Diesal. He is a gorgeous silver bay pintaloosa, sorry no pictures that I can post. He came as part of a package deal with a filly. I probably will end up selling him though. Don't need 4 stallions and 1 gelding is enough. :bgrin

I currently co-own five ponies with another breeder. It works great for us. We both knew what we wanted out of the partnership going into it and it has been successful beyond what we ever anticipated. As someone else said - ask 10 partners how their partnership works and you'll get 10 different answers.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back