CMHR's Smokey crossed the RaInbow Bridge

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gini

Reaction score
The moral of this story is please check the vet clinics/hospitals that you take your horses to. Are the stalls washed down and cleaned after ever horse leaves. Are the horses that could have illness that would be passed to other horses kept completely away from the other horses that might be at the clinic. I know my vet is very careful to make sure of this. Right down to changing clothes and shoe coverings between patients.

Today I received the most horrible news from one of our adoptors. Nancie called to let CMHR know that Smokey one our sweet rescues had crossed the Rainbow bridge.

Nancie adopted Emmy, Frodo and Smokey from CMHR and they are in her program visiting hospitals, retirement centers and hospices. They have also been known to visit the homes of terminally ill patients.

Right before Christmas Bella one of her Clysdales choked and was rushed to the vets. She was tubed 2 or 3 times to clear the blockage. She spent 3 days at the vet hospital before being brought home. Also brought home with Bella was a very contageous virus yet to be determined. Nancie's whole herd of horses came down with this illness before they knew Bella was sick. Bella did not survive and Smokey couldn't shake what ever this was. Nancie spent the evening with Smokey and he did his usual hugs around Nancie's neck as tho he was saying it was ok what was happening. He passed during the night.

This in no way was Nancie's fault. Finding out after the fact that precautions were not taken in the vet hospital to limit cross contamination between the horses. I realize that sometimes this situation is unavoidable however, if you have a horse brought in to the clinic that presents symptoms that could be contagious. That horse needs to be quarantined away from where other horses are housed. This was not done.

Two wonderful horses were lost to a clinic's negligence.

Smokey was a very special horse and he loved everyone and everyone loved his sweet ways. He would go into nursing homes and fall asleep on patients laps while they loved on him. As I said this was a very special horse...

Rest in Peace Little One you were very much loved and are truly missed!

Some wonderful pictures of Smokey

Emmy with Smokey

smokey.jpg

Smokey asleep on a lap

smokeyhardatwork.jpg

Smokey and Frodo visiting a patient

Smokeyandfrodoatthehome.jpg

Smokey and Dillion Playing

smokeyanddillon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gini,

Thank you and thanks to Nancie for calling to warn us of the bad news. Nancie was in tears when she spoke to Larry.

We only had Smokey as a foster for a few months, but he touched our hearts......how could he NOT! It was so heart warming to watch him bloom with Nancie as a therapy horse at children's hospitals, nursing homes, etc.... His life may have been cut off too short, but it was full and he obviously enjoyed his "job". Most importantly, he knew he was very much loved.

God bless......

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sorry to read this...it's a dam shame these things happen.

This is just sad. They were so obviously loved.

I'm so sorry!

Poor Nancie
default_sad.png
Losing Bella and Smokey. My heart goes out to her.

{{{Hugs}}} to all who loved that sweet boy.

Smokey touched a lot of lives. When Smokey came into CMHR he had all kinds of special issues that had to be addressed by someone who had the know-how. Mary Ann and Larry were the perfect people and stepped up on a moments notice and took him in to foster. They knew just what he needed and rehabbed him in no time. Larry himself transported Smokey on to his new forever home in Arizona. These are true horse people in every sense of the word who I have respected for a good many years.

Nancie has suffered two great losses and is besides herself as you can imagine. All her horses were deathly sick because of the contageous brought home from that hospital. This is such an outrage. Such negligence at this vet's hospital should have never happened and of all things, on Christmas Day. Our Board of Directors is suffering this loss and grieving along with Nancie.

Rest in Peace Smokey. Like so many others, you were gone too soon.

Without knowing the vet clinic and how careful they are about cleanliness & such--in all fairness I will point out that it isn't always so easy to prevent things from being spread through clinic contamination. Even if they quarantine a very contagious animal, at some point they do have to re-use that stall or kennel--and regardless of how thoroughly they wash/disinfect the premises, bugs can still be missed. Look at parvo with the dogs. Most vet clinics try to avoid spreading parvo but sometimes it happens even in the most spotless clinics with the most careful staff.

That said, it is heartbreaking when it happens to be 'our' animals that get infected and die because of it. I am sorry to hear of the loss of Bella and Smokey. Smokey was such a special boy.

What tragic losses! I am so sorry to hear of it!
default_crybaby.gif

{{{ hugs to all who loved Smokey }}}
no.gif

So sorry to hear of Nancie's loss... how devistating. Sounds like Smokey was a special little guy. So sorry to hear this happened!

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of Smokey. Take comfort in knowing that he no doubt enjoyed his last days of life with you.

I agree with Holly though, any visit to a hospital - human or veterinary is fraught with risk. Some viruses are transmitted through the air and we cannot possibly disinfect to the extent that everything is eliminated. I think the best lesson to learn from this experience is that a veterinary call fee is money well spent as it avoids exposure in the most complete way possible - although there is still some risk whenever any person that has been in contact with other horses comes on your farm. Bella could easily have been treated for choke at home. I will occasionally trailer a horse to the vet clinic to avoid a call fee or to get quicker emergency care but the vet comes out to my trailer and the horse doesn't go in. I don't know the clinic she was taken to at all but I would want to know more before getting too upset with them. Again, very sorry to hear about Smokey.

That's so sad.
default_no.gif
I'm so sorry for everyone's loss of this special little mini. Smokey touched many lives and will be missed greatly.

Very sorry to hear this. HUGS to Nancie and prayers for the others left in her care!

Latest posts

Back