CMHR request for the following states

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
CMHR has an urgent need for experienced horse people to foster in the following states to be on stand by:

Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana

These particular foster homes should have previous experience with horses that have been in a serious situation. Further details will be given after your application has been approved. Please download your foster application from CMHR website and submit it to Shannon asap.

http://www.chancesminihorserescue.org/

Many Thanks

Marty

Marty -

Could you share with us a little more of what is expected from a foster home?

Adam,

Our foster homes are very important to us. We expect basic care - feed, worm, hoof care and a knowledge of horses with special needs as usually the horses that come into our care have been neglected. (i.e. underfed, founder, not socialized, worms etc..) We also need folks that have experience foaling out mares. CMHR covers the cost of veterinary care. Fostering is VERY rewarding and we appreciate all our foster homes!
default_biggrin.png
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
We are in GREAT need of wonderful foster homes.

Last edited by a moderator:
how long does foster care last?
It really all depends on the situation. It may be only a stopping point for a few weeks or it could be a few months. We try and get all our fosters adopted as soon as we possible can. Some have medical issues or behavioral issues due to the situations they are from. These situations may take a little longer to work thru.

Our foster homes are truly the best of the best. Both in the care of the mini's and their commitment to them getting them ready to move on to their permanent home. This is a very rewarding experience for those that have the facilities and time to help.

One of the most rewarding experiences is to watch these horses become what they were meant to be.

Kind, loving, playful and most of all is trusting us to not neglect or hurt them.

Thanks for asking;

Adam, A foster home takes care of the horse as if he were their own. I'm not going to sugar coat it. We get a lot of active founder and those horses require a lot of daily soaking usually and meds etc. which do take up a lot of extra time on the part of the foster. Some are so hungry, bone racks, and just need to be fed. Some horses we have had are unruly, never been handled, scared to death, not mannered and would kick, bite, rear, etc. Some could be pregnant and need to be foaled out. On the other hand, we have plenty of horses that are a dream, just need "normal" daily routine care such as your own with no issues whatsoever.

The foster home will "fix" and rehab as much as they can. Put training or manners on a horse, medicate the sick, etc. whatever is needed. They call their own vet in for medical stuff and we pick up that tab whether it be gelding, or vaccinations etc. Same with the farrier. If the horse requires X rays or special supplements, special supplies, we pick up that tab also. That's why we beg donations because some of these horses cost a good bit to get back on their feet.

On the application, there is a field you fill out which states just what kind of horse you would be willing to foster. You can choose your sex, age limit from babies to the senior citizen horse. You do have options! You don't have to sign up for a special needs horse unless you want to. You could get a nice little horse with no issues that may just need a place to stay until someone wants to adopt.

As far as how long, that's pretty tricky because we have had some horses in foster that have been there for months, just too long. It's hit and miss. Not a lot of opportunities out there for horses for instance that are foundered where the adoptive home would really need to watch what they are doing. They usually take longer to find homes but eventually a home does come through. But at any time if and when the foster can no longer handle it, we arrange pick up and move the horse if he has over stayed his welcome. Again, on the other hand we have had some recently get adopted out so fast it would make your head spin. We had some fabulous horses with past show records there was not a thing wrong with them and could even make a comeback into the ring. Just add a good grooming and a clip up and kaboom, perfect. We have trained driving horses that could still drive wonderfully! You name it Adam, we've got it or had it or are getting it.

At this time we have an urgent need of a lot of foster homes for severely challenged horses from very experienced people. If anyone is so inclined to commit, please do so!

Marty

How many horses do we have now? I know we are trying to adopt out the 2 in Illinois that are still with their owner. Not any anticipated ones, but what we have in our care now.

Gini I would say by the end of next week, we will have close to 35 since Jan 08.

We do not want to close our barn doors to any horse in need. Please help us keep them open through anything anyone can do.

Much Love to all

Marty

Thanks for the information, Marty. One concern I have is that we don't have much property (only 1.25 acres) so quarantine could be an issue. What is the distance, in yards or something, that the quarantine area should be from our personal horses and for how long?

I have done quite a bit of rescue and like Sandee, I really can't have any more "forever" horses (I have two that I rescued that have become permanent residents.)

I'm in California so am a bit far from what seems like the most concentrated areas of CMHR rescues but have been considering signing up to be a foster home for a long time now.

Thanks.

Rebecca

Oh man, I didn't realize I'd be out here fielding questions but I'll try my best.

Rebecca, I'll only give you my personal opinion on that one for whatever it's worth.

My answer is....... I don't know!

Some people may say having them 300 yards to 5 acres apart isn't enough. Others bring them right into their main barns by their own horses and yet others keep them fairly separated in places where they can't touch noses with others. Its a crap shoot.

I can tell you that we try very hard to find out if there are sickness involved before the horse is moved anywhere. If he has a runny nose, coughing, obviously sick, or appears like he is sick in any way we disclose whatever info we can get in advance to the foster home. Then we try to find a foster home that is close by so he won't be more stressed having to travel too far. We do not want to drop a sick horse on anyone like that who can infect their personal horses. Remember, the foster can turn down anything they don't feel comfortable dealing with. Our lines of communication are very much open with our fosters. Most horses however are not sick like that. They usually have other pressing issues or no issues, but nevertheless, upon arrival to the foster care, the first thing the foster home will do is have the vet out for vaccinations and exams and we take our cue from veternarian reports.

Also Rebecca, our fosters come from every state there is, your state included.

Thanks for asking. I hope I helped sort through some of this for yalls.

Thanks, Marty. (I'm sorry...I didn't mean to put you on the spot.
default_blush.png
) I read the adoption policy but that didn't seem to answer some of these more "benign" questions.

I'll go ahead and send in my paperwork.
default_biggrin.png

Please everyone and anyone consider being a foster home. It is very rewarding knowing you are helping, when these horses can't help themselves!! We have more coming in it seems weekly and no place to really house them in the short term. Any help would be very much appreciated! Please go fill out the forms and mail them to Shannon. You never know when we have one that needs fostering in your state.

Again, CMHR will not pass judgement on anyone. Times are hard right now, and people are having a horrible time making ends meet. Know that we will be there if anyone needs our help. We can be reached thru our web site or pm one of us on here.

[SIZE=14pt]THANK YOU![/SIZE]

We have more coming in it seems weekly and no place to really house them in the short term. Any help would be very much appreciated

Hey Gini that's an understatment. I think we are about to hit 40 this week.

hello. i'm very willing to foster, i'm from wisconsin. the problem i'm having, i'm unable to download the application. not sure what i'm doing wrong.
default_no.gif

can you help me, sorry.

thanks

judy

found it.

thanks

judy

Wanted to say I'm already an approved foster but unfortunately my inn is a little full right now. However, if there is a need for transport or other such things in Iowa I can surely try to help.

[SIZE=8pt]bump[/SIZE]
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif

Hey everyone I need help in keeping this going. Shannon please let me know how many fosters have applied. I keep hitting the top of this message and my head is hurting!!!

Latest posts

Back