CMHR $3 Mission of Thanks : Final items, huge thank you Pg. 19

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, I would like to say a big THANK YOU to the wonderful donor who is donating for all of these awesome stories
default_thumbup.gif

My first miniature horse, was also a rescue case. In the summer of 2000, we were in the market for a driving horse. A friend had suggested we check out a local "killer buyer" barn, as they had a reputation for often buying drafts and draft crosses, many of which were trained to drive. As luck would have it, they did indeed have a cart pony available. He was an adorable Haflinger gelding, and we bought him on the spot. But on our way out, we passed a small pen containing three miniature mares. One, in particular, caught my eye. She was a dark liver chestnut, flaxen mane and one bright blue eye. She'd been abused at one point in her life, resulting in her being skittish and fearful. I assume that is why she ended up being purchased by the killer buyer. I didn't know much about Miniature horses at that time, but I fell in love with that little mare, and she too, came home with us. It's been twelve years, and I still own "Rose", as I call her. About a year after rescuing her, she came to realize that not all people would hurt her. She now loves attention, apples are her favorite treat. We own nearly 30 miniatures now, but Rose still holds a special place in my heart
default_wub.png

8-27-09%20069.jpg
8-27-09%20070.jpg

My story isn't so sweet or telling as some, and I'm not much of a story teller.

I've had saddle horses for over 20 years, but after moving back to my home state and getting married, I had somewhat lost interest in riding, but not horses. Sold down to 3 saddle horses, didn't need even that many if I wasn't riding, but I love them. Don't really recall how I decided on minis, but wanted more horses and decided minis were the ticket, if I wasn't going to ride, then I should have horses you don't ride. I was surfing sale sites, web sites and such, and came across Triple K minis in ND, and fell in love with a weanling colt, brought him home in I think February of 2005 and I think by the end of the year I had 3 here at home and 2 more on the way. I think I've bought at least one every year since, except this year, as 3 mares foaled out lovely colts.

Here's Dakota, the start of it all:

Dakota - June 5, 2007 - pretty boy.jpg

Thank you again, Secret Donor!!!! (((((Huuuuuuugggg)))))

Casper is our first miniature, he came to us in April of this year. I have lupus, and the last two years have been challenging learning to work around how it presents in me. My husband isn't animal oriented and has no horse experience...but my sister explained how horses help me maintain my mental health, so he agreed to give it a try.

I knew that a big horse was going to be more than I could care for, so I'd done my research and had an idea of what I wanted in a miiature (I came over from Arabs, so knew what I liked in conformation.). Over the next 6 months, I frequently saw an ad for a cremello stallion that did parades, but he sold to someone else first. I suspected he was the same horse in each ad, and wondered what his story was.

In April, ran across him again and went to see him. Person who had him told me their neighbors had gotten him to breed to their one bay mare for a buckskin, and no longer wanted him. Neighbor was planning to take him to auction. They THOUGHT--but weren't sure--this was third or fourth time he'd changed hands THIS YEAR, for this same reason. They received him free, just to " get rid of him without wasting gas to haul him" from the neighbor.

Casper was very thin when they got him, didn't respect fences (komikaze crawls under if he can) but otherwise seemed well-behaved in the two weeks he'd been with them. He'd been putting on weight and was calm when alone. (Has more than his share of testosterone around others!) He is more of a stocky type, which isn't what I was looking for, so I told them I wanted to think on it. This was when she apologized and said she had two others interested in him, one of whom was waiting with a trailer for word if I took him. They planned to use him as a breeder. Her apology was because she didn't want to pressure me for a decision, but they needed an answer. I declined and left, listening to her call the next person and tell them to come on.

I drove 3 miles down the road, with the whole situation weighing on my mind....something kept telling me he was just going to keep being shuffled around (and in my opinion he's not a stallion prospect).....so I turned around and drove back, apologized, explained my reasoning, and asked if he could live with me.They dropped his price to what the had in him....a vet call....and delivered him for me the next day.

In the time he's been here, Casper has been a WONDERFUL ambassador for the breed. He's converted my husband into a horse person, taught me how to communicate with more finesse, been an angel when I'm having a bad day....and a bit of a pip when I'm well!!

I apologize for not including pictures (can't attach with this phone
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif
) however wanted to get this posted while donor was available! I plan to attach pictures tomorrow....Thanks all...Julie

ETA: Did quite a it of updating, and hopefully the video clip I found of my husband and Casper is properly attached. I didn't know he even liked Casper this much!!
default_thumbup.gif
:ThumbUp Ran across the video when I was doing some trouble-shooting form him...nify, hunh??!!Gonzalo and Casper.MOV

Attachments

• Gonzalo and Casper.MOV
    724.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
What a great day! I have so loved all your wonderful stories! If you don't know we have someone donating $3 for every post on how you got into miniatures! They are giving $3 for you, you just need to post!

This goes until Friday at 9 pm.

Ozark Mountain Tack Surprise Buckets: top 2 bidders at this time are: $120 (anonymous bidder through me) no not me, and $110. We have 2 surprise buckets packed with miniature horse items for you and your horse! You must bid on this post, or send me a message to do it privately.

This goes through Thursday at 9 pm.

Coming up this weekend we have several wonderful prizes, 3 of these prizes we have never had before and I am so excited about them
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
, 1 of these were very popular last year.
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

PLUS, we have another wonderful match to increase your donation!!

This next week is going TO BE PACKED with many more prizes and matches!
default_new_shocked.gif
You are going to have to check back often to see what all is going on and who has stepped up this year to help us out!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

default_aktion033.gif

default_488.gif

default_aktion033.gif

Can't wait to hear what the new prizes are.

I got one of the Ozark buckets last year, it was absolutely awesome.

My story goes way back......I had gone to the very first Midwest Horse Fair in Madison WI. It was there I saw my first miniature horse. I fell in love. I don't remember the year, but a guess would be late 70's, but there was the most AMAZING stallion there and after seeing him I knew I wanted to get a mini for myself. There was also a gorgeous mare with a newborn filly at her side. But finding a mini that I could afford was not easy, at that time they weren't cheap. I found a bred mare that was 34" and bought her in 1982. Her registered name was Tiny (yep that was her whole name) and she was reg with the IMHR with a number of 011B but when the AMHA and the IMHR merged she was AMHA registered. I figured because she was registered at 34" she was 34....but I found out later she was really 35.5" She was a great starter mare and she had several foals for me. My love for minis has only grown since then.

Oh, and that stallion at the Midwest Horse Fair in the late 70's that I fell in love with, you may have heard of him......he was there with his owner at the time......Lowell Boone.......you guessed it.....Boones Little Buckeroo, my guess is he was 2 or 3 but I am not quite sure. And I took a photo of him that I still have. And that newborn filly there with her dam ended up being the grand dam to a 24 year old stallion I still have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool to have an anonymous donor giving $3 for each "first mini" story! I haven't been here much lately but I will tell my story and come back more often for this thread and to donate.

I've been a horse person all of my life, and at the time that I first saw miniature horses in person I owned two full sized horses and rode quite a bit. My daughters were quite young and we went to a new mall grand opening and one of the attractions was two adorable miniature horses, one of which looked a lot like one of my big horses. This was about 20 years ago and I couldn't afford that mini, but that lady had another horse for sale so my girls and I went to look at her and we fell in love. That mare was a B size AMHR registered silver appaloosa, and she was as sweet as could be. Her name was Ruffels (apparently as in "you can't have just one, lol! ) She was trained to ride and to drive, and became the first miniature horse of many for me and my family. We currently own three dozen minis and though we still own two big horses, one of which is the same one that I had back when I bought my very first mini, I haven't ridden for years. Miniature horses captured my heart, and they still have a very firm hold on it.
default_smile.png

I too want to thank the donor again, what a kind gesture, a better thought as I have enjoyed the stories as well!

Auction for the Ozark Surprise Buckets ends tonight!

Donations for your first mini story goes until tomorrow, I do hope you will take the time to share with us!!

If the auction for the Ozark Mini Tack Surprise bucket is still running, I'd like to bid $150.00. Thanks.

Ooooh oooooooh, bucket bids are $150 & $120...... look how much we're raising!!! Between Ozark, our SUPER GENEROUS match bidders and us regular folks we can really get some AWESOMELY GREAT things done!!! (Happy dance, happy dance, dooo doooot dah, doooo dooooot dah...dancy dancy dancy!!!) LOL

Wow, thanks to the person donating $3.00 for each mini story! YOU ROCK!!!

Here's mine!! I saw Miniature Horses for the first time at the Illinois Horse Fair many, (we're talking MANY) years ago. I had a couple full size horses in my life, but job loss/major medical issues meant horse loss because of the board fees. Fast forward to meeting my AWESOME AMAZING husband who wanted to make my dreams come true, so we bought 5 acres (mostly wooded) and he personally built me a barn (all by hand, all alone) that I can see out my bedroom window. We bought a QH mare, and I wanted to find her a companion, so I started searching for a pony. I found an ad online for a Mini who was simply stunning. We went to look at him and he was SO SAD. He was in a field with three, count them THREE, kids on his back. As they brought him up for me to see, the dogs went after him and scared the life out of him. Poor little guy was scared to DEATH. I couldn't leave him there, so I bought him. A vet exam showed he was healthy, just mistreated. He came to me scared of EVERYTHING. I couldn't even clean his stall without him freaking out and frothing. Sammy lived with me for only 2 years before he contracted PHF and we had to put him down. He went from healthy to sick to gone in less than 2 weeks. Of all the horses I have had (or will have), Sammy will forever be a favorite, as he was just learning to trust and love again, when I lost him. He could have been something amazing to the world if he had a better start in life, but he was something amazing to me, and I hope he knows that.
default_wub.png
I can't figure out how to post a photo, but he's in my avatar.
default_smile.png

Good afternoon everyone.....your CMHR Treasurer chiming in here. Thank you so much to our anonymous donor for donating $3 for everyone who tells the story of how they got their first mini. I know I have enjoyed reading all your stories. I also want to thank each of you for taking the time to tell your stories and earning $3 for the rescue. Doesn't get much easier than that now does it.

We are 2 weeks into our 8th annual $3 Mission of thanks and as of today with donations received, matches and pledges our total is $720.00!
default_thumbup.gif
Every penny we raise here helps us to help a horse in need.....so if you can please open your heart and your wallet and donate to this great cause. Remember all it takes is $3.00 and you can earn that right now just by telling the story of how you got your first mini....so if you haven't yet shared your story nows the time!!!

Bidding is still open on those wonderful buckets generously donated by Ozark Mountain.....the current bids are at $150 & $120!

Have a wonderful day!!!

Sincerely,

Tammie Miller

CMHR Treasurer

Updated my post #83, as promised. Please let me know if you can't view the video clip.

Also, I see we aren't that far from reaching $1000 in pledges and donations. I've done a little like many others, some of you have done ALOT!! Can't wait to see us make it to at least that!! Go $3 pledgers, go pledgers
default_xbud.gif
:charge let's make $1000, let's make $1000!!!

Well my story is pretty simple. I got injured by a big horse and was devistated when she had to go. So hubby went and looked at Jack and fell in love with him and home he came! We still talk all the time to the lady we bought Jack from and she comes to visit us often. I now have 4 minis and 1 biggie! LOL! We have a good group here right now and I'm very happy!

Ozark Mountain Surprise buckets...$160 (private bid) and $150!! Only 2 more hours to go!!!!!!!

You guys are the best!!!!!!!!!

What awesome stories, I for one so appreciate you sharing!! Until Friday at 9, $3 for every story shared about how you got into minis. $3 Given FOR you!!

I told you this weekend would be packed with wonderful gifts, I do not think you will be disappointed!!
default_thumbup.gif

Make sure to check back often, read the most recent posts and keep up with the bids and/or a sale, along with a match!!
default_please.gif

BECAUSE WE ARE DOWN TO JUST ONE WEEK OF OUR MISSION!!

The donor giving for you to share your mini story is until Friday at 9 p.m. It is such an easy way to add money to this mission!! Just share!

And for our next gift...someone young and new has stepped up and offered their help with our Mission!

Brooke The Clippergirl!! Thank you so much Brooke!

Brooke has donated two of her DVD's on, How to Clip A Miniature Horse.

Brooke is clipping all over the world and many horses she clipped were National and World Champions! The reviews on this DVD have been outstanding!

We hope you will take the time to also visit her site...http://www.layuqwam.com.au/Brooke/index.html

We will put this up for auction. So we will have 2 winners, the top 2 bids!

This auction goes until Sunday at 9 p.m.

You may bid privately by sending me a forum message. Or post here.

You may pay by paypal or by check.

The bidding is to start at $10 and raised by at least $5.

Keep track and remember, this is a DVD, not a CD.

Thanks again Brooke!!

Mountain Woman and our private bidder is the winner of the Ozark Mountain Tack Surprise Buckets!!!!!

Huge congratulations to you both!!
default_thumbup.gif

I will connect you with Lisa so you can get some information to her so she can personalize your surprise!!

What a fun auction, thank you again Lisa for your support every year!!

I just stopped in to see how its going and WOW, so many generous people. Thank you all so much. Really. Thank you all who are supporting CMHR. Just the thought of gelding a bunch of stallions, paying vet bills, and OMG transport kills us so we really need every dime we can get in the treasury. When the money runs out, .......I don't even want to think about it so please continue to give what you can.

So I have a story worth $3 bucks!

Katie was my quarter horse, foaled out of my mare. I weaned her with my pony Frosty and they stayed together forever. Katie passed at 18 from colic and Frosty, who was near 30 by that time, was besides himself with grief. He was so depressed, he actually starved himself to a dangeous point and refused to leave his stall for days. I really didn't have anyone else I could turn him out with because he was getting a little "frail" shall we say, and putting him anywhere near my quarter horse Sonny was completely out of the question, as Sonny has always been a dangerous horse around others.

I always wanted a mini "just because" so I decided to look into it in more detail and considered buying one just for Frosty, no other real reason than to save him. I decided to look for a miniature thinking that a mini would be someone that wouldn't hurt him, and since he was used to a mare, I wanted to buy him a young filly who he could take under his wing and protect and that's just what I did.

When I brought Holly home, Frosty perked up immediately and came hustling out of his stall all bright eyed. Just as I had hoped, Frosty took the role of daddy and took Holly under his wing all big, bowed up and in protective mode. When Holly napped, Frosty would stand guard over her. It was beautiful. Frosty found new life and found his spunk to keep up with such a youngster.Frosty passed at age 36 from liver failure. .

I have been involved in horses since my 2 daughters were younger. I finally bought my own horse about 20 years ago. I had him for about 5 years when he fooundered. My ferrier managed to keep him going for a few year and finally about 7 years ago I had to put him down. My older daughte, who rode as a child, told me she wanted to take up dressage. I had been thinking of learning to drive since I am now older and did not want to ride again. I told my daughter if she was going to learn dressage I was going to learn to drive. I drove a morgan and really enjoyed being around a horse again. However when I went to the county fair I fell in love with the minis. My wonderful husband said go find one. I tried a few and was not happy with anyone I saw. Finally I foound a breeder in Pa and tried and fell in love with my mini Lance. I have had him for over a year and am having a ball driving and working with him. He is the one in my avatar.

My $3 story started in 1995 when we went to an animal swap/tailgate sale with my father in law. We saw an unregistered mini mare and her stud colt. She looked like a smaller version of a larger horse that my husband had when we got married. Pop bought them and had them delivered. We played with her and the (now gelded) little guy thru the winter. In spring, My Mother in law passed away and Pop had a lot more time on his hands. We then went out and bought our first registered miniature mare. He and a friend went to shows with her the first half of summer. Mid summer, we took a road trip to Minnasota and looked at a herd of mares, foals, a stallion and a yearling filly. On the way home we did lots of talking and decided that Dave and I would get a lot more involved and Pop bought the herd. We had bought a few registered minis at a couple of auctions, but Pop was dealing with those himself. He also had gotten 5 or 6 llamas that summer. Well, on August 6, 1996, we took delivery of 41 minis and one was born a couple of hours later bringing our mini total to 50. That winter I got a crash course in registry work (they knew me by voice in both the AMHR and AMHA offices :) and Dave and I started showing in spring of 1997. It has been a bumpy ride. Pop passed away in 2001, we bought a herd of AMHR/ASPC mares in 2006, won some national championships and some hall of fames and haven't really looked back since. We now have a herd of 50 or so mostly AMHR/ASPC miniatures and 3 llamas.

Latest posts

Back