Clippy those babies legs!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandy

Reaction score
Ok, what's the secret? I tried to clip my 10 week old colt the other day, and it was a two man job. Never did get all the legs. Does anyone have any pointers on doing legs? How do you manage to get them all clipped? Didn't even try to do the ears. I have a 4 week old that looks so hot with all that hair. Is he too young to clip?

I just squish mine into a wall tie his head and keep going. It seems if you keep going no matter what its like ok, its going to happen so I will just quit. I also do alot of baby talking and tell them its ok. I always clip by myself too. For some reason they seem better dont know why. Ask me in a couple of weeks when I get my mare and foal back from breeding. Im going to clip him then ha might be a train wreck!

HEE heee if they are small enough my hubby pulls up a chair and kerplops them across his lap he learned this technique from a long time breeder and has been the "holder" on many occasions
biggrin.gif

One of them is definitely tiny enough. He has probably only grown 1 or 2 inches since he was born (17 inches at birth). BUT he seems to always have his "personal parts" dangling. Is this common in little boys? My other colt doesn't do it. Wouldn't want to catch it with the clippers!

I am by far no expert but for the ears, I just pinch them shut and clip what sticks out and I don't clip the legs, I think they need that hair for bug protection, ear hair too. but mine aren't a show clip, I just want to get that hot wooly hair off of them to make them more comfortable. When I have clipped legs, I just go slow and work with them, I have to hold the leg up to clip it as obviously the clipper is to big to start at the bottom without holding the leg up. Good luck, hope it works for you, clipping is fun but not to easy for me, my clips are rough looking yet. Gotta practice more.

I do like Marnie. I don't like to clip out the inside of the ears (unless of course it is for a show) as it is needed for bug protection if they are outside much. On my white legged babies i left the hair below the knees too. I might go with the hair but not against it. Leaves sun and bug protection there also. Just a plain old pasture clip
smile.gif

But on the 1 i did the legs on i just kept working on them. Helps to hold up 1 leg also and clip on the legs on the ground. They get used to it and quit their jumping around, usually LOL.

I just sorta hold on for the ride and when we are both exhausted he gets them clipped. ONLY took one time for him to learn and now he is great. I blanket clip his nose for the ears.

I am lucky this year. OUt of seven foals I have clipped 4, only 1 is a terror. The one I expected to be bad was the best one. HEr mother was really bad when seh was younger, to the point if hitting me in the head 2 times.

Anyway if they are small enough, I stand over them and clip them that way. For the back legs I kinda squeeze at the hips cause then they cant really kick.

I learned some useful ways to hold their legs when I clip.... for instance it works pretty good if you hold their back legs FORWARD... pull the fetlock of the back leg up towards their elbow... for some reason they don't have leverage to really pull their leg. You just have to figure out how they like being clipped.

I also have to agree with Melissa... I do the legs last... when foals finally tire out, they just shut down and are exhausted.... and then you can do whatever you like with them. Works with my little foal... he is a pistol and a half... about clipping or trimming feet... but once he's tired, then that's it... and once you just do it with him, he's phenomenally better the next time around.

Ahhhhh.... isn't it FUN???
wacko.gif

Andrea

Back