clipping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painthorselover

Reaction score
I am getting ready to clip my stallion and i am wondering which blade to use?

Could any of you tell me which kind of Blade is best? I am wanting him clipped like he is going to a show!!<i am going to practice with him for the fun shows we have in NC! Until NEXT show season!

I try to keep mine fairly simple. I will use either a 10 or a 30 on the entire body. I like the 10 blade for dark/black horses. I use the 30 blade for pintos and my silver bay w/ dapples. I have just started doing all heads in a 30 blade. I try to clip 1-2 days before the show.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... wait a minute.

Where are you keeping this horse after clipping? If it's going to go outside for the most part, I would NOT clip him in anything but a #10, maybe a #15. If you clip in a #30 you are likely to end up with a pink and red horse due to sunburn.

I do bodys with a 15 blade, 10 leaves behind to much hair imo and they are still fuzzy to me, so i body with a 15 and then i have an adjustable blade that i do the heads with, normally a 30 blade. I clip no more then 5 days pre show.

I also use a 15 for most things
default_yes.gif

I use a 15 on my chestnut colt. I clipped him with a 30 once and I'll never do it again. But for Silver bays, and darker horses(with no white) I prefer a 30. My chestnut gets clipped a couple days before the show, and I clip him damp which leaves it looking almost perfect. For the black horses 7-10 days before the shoe works better, so their color comes back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back