Clipping?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthStar

Reaction score
Do any of you clip your donkeys? And if so, what do you do with their 'manes'? Roach them or leave them. And do you do a bridal path if you leave them?

I clip my donkey and all my mules. I roach their manes. To me they look a little odd with a bridal path but that is just my opinion.

Hi There NorthStar and minimule! I dont clip mine, but I have a friend that does and he roaches his manes too and thinks that they look strange witha bridle path clip. Hay..minimule, I bet your glad to be back home and spending time with the new foal of yours. Anything "NEW" going on down your way...or in your area..?? Corinne

I clip my miniature donkeys and I roach their manes. I have seen some breeders that leave like an inch of the mane and then clip a bridal path. I have also seen them leave a ball of hair on the tips of the donkey's ear. I personally like the mane roached and ears w/o the ball of hair.

~ Jody Elliott

Thanks, everybody, for your guidance. I didn't know what was 'proper'! When I had my vet out a couple weeks ago for Coggins, I got the clippers out to carve him an area in the neck so he could find a vein through all that winter hair. (Not so much the donkeys, but the horses - oh, my gosh!) He really appreciated it. Anyway, I started doing bridal paths while I had the ol' clippers warmed up and a new blade on it. Did Amelia a bridal path just for kicks, and it looks SO stupid!
wacko.gif
I can't wait to body clip my minis! They look aweful. Wish we could get some dependable weather up here. Amelia is due in about four weeks. I hope everything goes ok. It will be her first. Dad is a chocolate, and with her being black, it should be a DARK baby, no? And a For Sale baby.

I can finally relax about our hay situation. Looks like we'll make it til summer cutting without any problems. People with extra are starting to sell their excess now.
cheers.gif

I like when it is time to clip that long hair off my donkeys.... it is like unwrapping a present! I have clipped 6 of my donkeys so far and have 3 more that I want to do... maybe this weekend!

~ Jody Elliott

Hey Meadowridge!

Nothing for now. Still watching.

I am SOOOOO glad to be home and playing with my babies. I have 4 now, only 1 mule but he is really sweet. He won't come to you but won't run away if he is in his corral.

We had 2 more foals this weekend while I was in Tucson, 2 very pretty fillies.

Hi There minimule! Congradulations all all the "babies"! I'm watching 2 under the camera now, and then there ae 3 following right behind. Only have 1 foal so far...but....we're ALOT colder then you are, so I dont breed for early foals. I guess no news--is good news, hay??? I 've been listening too. Are you going to be at the Chances state coordinators meeting tonight. You did become one, didnt you?? Starts at 7 so I better get moving..talk later, Corinne

Latest posts

Back