clipping your dark bays and chestnuts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norah

Reaction score
I reluctantly clipped Peach due to lice : ( I used a 10 blade on her body but left the hair on her legs and face until it warms up a bit more. Lice is gone ...but she has dark spots all over her body. She looks like a leopard . I am thinking that in a week or so I will finish her with a longer blade , and let her hair grow in before her show May 11th : 0 !!!

What would you guys do for a spotty liver chestnut ? she has a nice black mane and tail , and 3 white socks but a lot of spots ...we are using black sunflower oil , and other herbal oils for her skin and coat.Will this soften in 3 or 4 more weeks ? In the last 8 months she has battles worm infestations ( 3 kinds) and lice ... she is 4 in June if that makes a difference . Her weight is good , and she is blossoming from her good feed ...but i have a feeling it will be at least a year before her skin and coat fully recovered from the parasites ...what do you suggest?

IMG_5524.JPG

Are the spots natural coloration or evidence of fungus? If fungus, she may need a bath in antifungal shampoo. My new pony I just clipped has lots of the dark spots. She did not have lice, but has lots of bumps and spots. After 2 days she is already looking better. I did rub on some anti-bacterial/anti-fungal solution, as it is too chilly for bathing. She seems MUCH happier with that thick coat off! She also had parasites. Worming, clipping, cleanliness, and sunshine should go a long way.

She is also on boss, but I've only had her under 2 weeks so it is too soon to see effect of that.

I think you will be amazed what one month will do!

I did shampoo with a disinfectant shampoo, maybe these are just her color markings . Will wait it out and see what happens

With her having lice her coat is just in poor condition right now. Once the lice are competely gone and now that her coat is clipped and has a chance to heal it will get better with time. She may not look 100% for your first show.

Latest posts

Back