Clipping weaned donkey foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

GlacierRidge

Reaction score
I wanted to add this post here, as I did see the post where problems were caused between mom and baby with body clipping a foal still on mom. I have a 10 month old jennet, so that's not an issue here, however, I have a couple of questions, since this is my first donkey foal experience.

How long do they keep this long coat? She still has a very long coat, which from what I've observed, is normal for donkey foals. But how long do they tend to keep this baby coat?

Second question, if I wanted to body clip her, is there any harm in doing so? As with any adults I would body clip, I'd apply the fly spray more often, but not only do I think she'd be more comfortable without all that hair, I'd really LOVE to see what's underneath it all now!

I just wanted to get input on clipping a soon to be yearling.

ANgie

h2t99

Reaction score
I clip all my yearlings, I have found that it takes forever for them to shed!! Good Luck!!
default_biggrin.png

GlacierRidge

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I swear, she's barely shedding...and when I brush her, I'm not getting a whole lot out. I take a shedding blade to everyone else, but it's just not working on her coat. Thinking baby coats are different? I'd love to see how she looks underneath!

Angie

Witts Mini Horse Ranch

Reaction score
I clipped the foal that mom rejected for a few days...but also did 2 yearling Jennets...they look and feel great! They know it too! They where bonded b4 and after thier clip. And yes they where miserable b4 the clip, one was sheding a little bit more than the other..but was very slow in shedding. Now they are so shiney, and prissy LOL

Latest posts