Clipping vs. Shedding naturally to determine color?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the pics, I'd also say black.

A friend if mine told me a ing time ago to look at the hair color under the tail on either side of the butt to know the true color. So far, that has worked.

From the pics, I'd also say black.

A friend if mine told me a ing time ago to look at the hair color under the tail on either side of the butt to know the true color. So far, that has worked.
I checked yesterday and where I didn't shave was about the same color as the rest of him really - dark grayish. I looked him over again and I'm pretty confident he doesn't have points, though he does have golden hair on the very tip of his ears. His mane definitely has white hairs throughout.

If he had less white this would be a lot easier LOL

Clipping does mess with the color of a horse.

Only color combinations with sire and a black(pinto) dam is smokey black, smokey grullo, black, grullo.

We have a coming four year old Tovero mare. Sire is smokey grullo(Homozygous black, carries splash(usually only shows on pinto mares he is bred to). She is listed as a black pinto on her papers. First time clipped, as a yearling, looked like she was a smokey grullo. When we clipped her last year, as a 3 year old, she looks black. But, the hairs in her ears are smokey. So, I think she is a smokey black. Will get her tested.

Her half sister is the same way. Same sire and the dam is solid black. Their first filly(reg bag-deceased) was a grullo. The filly from last year looked to be black when born. Still black when clipped at 3 months. Before being clipped at 6 months, her coat looked like her sire(smokey grullo). When clipped, she looked black again. Now she has her winter coat and it looks between grullo and smokey black. We are going to get her tested, but think she is a smokey black. She has no dorsal strip for grullo.

We have another coming two year old. Her sire is Perlino(homozygous black) and her dam is black(homozygous black). Color calculator says 75% buckskin, 25% smokey black. She is a buckskin because she has the dorsal strip. The strange thing is she has a roan look to her. We are going to get her tested, but we think she got a silver gene from her sire. She looks like a silver buckskin. Her full brother looks exactly like her.

Maybe dark silver ??
Unless his sire really hides the silver well (possible) I don't see it.

Sorrel Pinto x Blue Roan splash should only allow bay, black or bay roan/blue roan (also chestnut but, he's not that) If he were silver bay though... maybe.

A sorrel can hide Silver with no obvious signs at all but he is not Silver, either Black or Bay, his mane is the wrong colour. Although if he had Cream his mane could be quite dark it is not this sort of dark, if that makes sense. He is quite typical of Black clipped out, even with the brownish tinge to his unclipped coat- that too is quite typical of Black .

Right ! Mane and tail are the wrong color for any silver.

Latest posts

Back