Clipping today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coopermini

Reaction score
When I started clipping today in the barn alley I left the door to the paddock with the mares open. Our little colt followed the first mare in so I left him to watch thinking he will get used to the noise and not be afraid. This worked well as he stayed right under foot till he got bored.

While clipping mare #2 with the door still open "Nibbles" walked in. She is 4 and has been clipped a few times with no problems. Nibbles decides I'm not doing good enough apprently and moves in close, than really close. She puts her chin on my hand holding the clippers. After moving her away about 3 times I decided to trim a little on her. Trimmed her face neck and shoulders with no halter no lead just her standing there> She loves the vibration from the clippers especially on her head. The only time she moved was when I put lube on the clippers and didn't get back to her quick enough (she moved closer).

Wish they all liked being clipped that much>

Mark

Isn't it too late to clip up here?

It sure does help when they enjoy it.

Lee

I clipped my yearlings for the first time ever. My filly was great just stood there no halter or lead rope. My gelding on the other hand, it took me 2 weeks to get him totally clipped and I still didn't get his face done. It's funny how some like it and others don't. He'll stand right next to me when I clip the filly, but the minute I go to do him he takes off like a bat out of #$%*.

Christy

Last edited:
I have to get Diego's head used to clipping, so he is the only one I clip. I want him to be easy to clip for shows next year, because we already have a gelding who freaks out about it instantly.

It is going to be in the 90's this week, so I think its a good idea to clip!

Boy yesterday must have been National clip a mini day.

I did all my horses big and small.

I have always clipped the big guys without halters, so I tried the minis this time halterless. Dusty has an ear ISSUE that we are working through, I was able to do him halterless until I started working on the ears.

Of the four we have two will stand and let you trim bridle path, fetlocks etc. the other two need to be tied so they do not wander off. They do not struggle its just they would rather be off grazing.

No need to worry about the cold> It was a "chilly" 88 degrees. Everybody stays in at night afterdark here and they have blankets if it gets cool enough.

Most of ours will stand to be clipped but they will wander off if given the chance.

Nibbles was a riot to watch. she would put her muzzle right up to the clippers (on the hand peice not the blades) and close her eyes
biggrin.gif
wub.gif
biggrin.gif

Mark

Latest posts

Back