Clipping Tips

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
I'd appreciate any tips you all have, including drug related (I'm serious), for clipping unruly horses. I have a couple who turn it into a rodeo, and like a dozen who are perfect angels. Of course, one of the rodeo event horses is one I'd like to show a little next year (my leopard appy, Jack). I know how to do a good clip job now (after practice) but I do not know how to get the rodeo ones to settle down. I'm thinking I will get some drugs from the vet. I know when he floated Khaki's teeth, he gave her something that was not ace and it really knocked her down. I could have body clipped her so easily! I told him I wanted some of that for when I clipped and he said that was no problem. I feel like I'm too old for some of this stuff and God knows I do not have much patience at all. Jack was just SO bad. His bridle path did finally get done, but not until Harvey helped (stradled him but didn't sit on him and it still was not easy). I body clipped Jack about a month ago and it took two of us then too but he was actually not too bad. I can do the clippers on the sides of his neck and a little on his muzzle and he's okay but flips the you know what out over his bridle path.

What do you all do to help with the ones who are so bad? I hate when they start rearing and striking, which is what Jack was doing.

I'm thinking my happiest solution is a shot from the vet and a couple drinks for myself.

It sounds like you need to reduce the fear that they have for the clippers. Maybe putting them in a comforting environment ( like their stall,) and letting them munch on some hay will help.. Have you tried just running the clippers in a non trimming way along their body just to acclamate them to the sound and vibration while they are eating? This may help reduce their apprehension. Some times a clipper is not cutting smoothly and will pull in a wrong way at the fur, and will cause discomfort. Also hot blades can do this, also. Rewarding them for small strides in acceptance, will let them know they are doing good. (scratches,scratches) Once they are desensitized to the main trimming part, then the feet and legs will go easier.. (I do the feet farrier style. ) Dont struggle with them....- Win them into accepting it with positive encouragement.. It will pay off for both of you., now and later.

I've had my stallion Glow since he was weaned. He was clipped at Nancys. He hates to be clipped. I have done everything but put him in an armchair and serve champagne. He freaks. He loves grooming, doesn't mind scissors, will stand for the fly spray and feet trims but turn on those monster babies and forget it. I have to wait for Glacia. She's the only one strong enough and has the finger twitch thing down pat and he'll stand for her. She's SCARY!

Hi Jill,

I feel your pain!

I ALWAYS have a better time with my "bad" ones

if I clip in the mid-to late afternnon -their nap time- hehehe

Little John HATES his ears being touched.... OMG makes me nuts.

I wipe them out every day, and he hasn't really improved..
unsure.gif

I'm always worried about him tossing his head and accidently

clipping off his forelock!

BTW, I have had several clipping 'mishaps', but thankfully hair grows back!!!!

I think you just have to keep clipping him, he will accept it, atleast

(from my experience with my minis) they have all finally accepted it...

even my "crazy" girl!

You can use a twitch, it will help.

But I must say that there have been some very trying times....

Hang in there... Thank goodness for Advil!

Sandy

There was another post on here very recently about using a hair dryer to help get horses used to clipper sounds. I think it was titled "Another use for hair dryers". Sounded like something that would be worth a try. You may want to check it out.

i have one yearling this year that just goes crazy when the clippers turn on. I have been desensitizing her by turning the clippers on and I wont turn them back off until she stops jumping. I dont even put them on her. Just keep turning them on and off. I think probably the hairdryer is better if the noise is similiar enough.

Before i would use drugs i would use a twitch. Much safer imo then drugging them.

I definately know how you feel and plus i have to do show clips on horses about 2 weeks out of every month. First...it usually helps to cross tie the horse with something in front of them so they cant bolt forward, flip over, etc. Then give them a chance to be good while you clip them...it always helps to leave your extra hand on the opposite side to reassure them and steady them. If they dont let you clip without to much fuss.....TWITCH. We use wood clamps and they work wonders...but make sure you dont use a "sissy" twitch....it needs to at least be slightly difficult for you to open to be effective. Typically this works but if not you might need to resort to ACE... its best to ask your vet about the effects and possible side effects of ACE and let him/her best figure out the dosage for your mini. Hope i helped .

Samantha

I got a call years ago from a horse acquaintance....can you meet me at the clinic and clip my yearling mustang for the sale.......uh sure
unsure.gif
so I met her at the vets with my clippers she had hers and the vet had a set ....sweet filly but never clipped and too hairy for a sale quick shot of rompum nighty nighty and bam all three of us had at it
biggrin.gif
we let her come out of it as we were clipping mostly because she was handling it quite nicely no muss no fuss and the next time she didn't need any tranqs........

Thank you all for the input!

Jack was actually fairly good when I body clipped him. Harvey held the lead but he was not really too bad. He was like a wild mustang yesterday though over just his bridle path.

I did hold it to his muzzle and he sniffed the running clippers, did parts of his neck, spoke low and soothing. He just was not into getting a hair cut yesterday.

I'm not sure what I'll do next time. I know that once they get that wild, drugs don't work so well. I just don't want to turn getting him to stand still for clipping into a day long project, so I'm not sure what we will do next time, which will most likely be early spring of 2006!

On the other hand, Jack has not ever really stood very well to have his feet trimmed. We trimmed his feet today and I thought we'd be in for another rodeo but no! He sood nice and quiet and actually was one of the easiest that we worked on today.

He's such a cutie and he does love to be praised so I know that he, at times anyway, does want to do good for his people but yesterday was real bad with the bridle path. My feet are bruised so bad... if nothing else, I am sure next time I will wear boots not mules.

wacko.gif

We have a couple of rodeo types here too! Mostly it is the top of the bridle path or anything heading towards their ears. One of our worst is my daughter's show mare this year - she's great, except for the ears - but will let my 10 year old do her legs.

We cross tie head to a gate, and offer grain if they're being good too. Then my son or I will do all the easy parts, then we both work on the hard stuff together. One clips the other uses a hand twitch. If enough pressure is applied on the top lip, usually it can be eased off and we can just hold their muzzle in our hand and they'll be calm.

I have found stallions tend to be pickier about certain parts of their body, and it may just be instinct to protect certain areas from other stallions or attack - which is how some act. Also, many horses seem to be harder to work with on the right side vs left. I've attributed that to the fact we halter and walk them on the left more so they get scratched/brushed that side more too.

Jill, you've had some great suggestions. If I have to twitch one we use one of those hand size plastic industrial type clips. I forget what you call them but they have handles and clamp down on the lip. Usually after being clipped a couple times with that on they will behave very well! LOL

If all that fails you can give them .5 cc of ACE. That's all I would give at first but you may have to give a little more. I've only had to do that with one horse clipping. After a couple of times I think he thought the whole experience was real nice and didn't even realize when I stopped giving him the ACE! But one thing to be careful abt with the ACE is it will make the boys relax and their private will relax right out of it's sleeve! Some don't have the reflex to bring it back up til the shot wears off so make sure they're safe til you know it disappears! LOL

Debi

DebiM said:
Jill, you've had some great suggestions.  If I have to twitch one we use one of those hand size plastic industrial type clips.  I forget what you call them but they have handles and clamp down on the lip.  Usually after being clipped a couple times with that on they will behave very well!  LOL
If all that fails you can give them .5 cc of ACE.  That's all I would give at first but you may have to give a little more.  I've only had to do that with one horse clipping.  After a couple of times I think he thought the whole experience was real nice and didn't even realize when I stopped giving him the ACE!  But one thing to be careful abt with the ACE is it will make the boys relax and their private will relax right out of it's sleeve!  Some don't have the reflex to bring it back up til the shot wears off so make sure they're safe til you know it disappears!  LOL

Debi

420347[/snapback]

Actually, Ace can cause PERMANENT penile paralysis - my vet prefers not to use ace on male horses at all.

Also with ACE some animals will react the opposite and get wired and hyper.......

the trick to any tranq is to not give it once the horse is already upset it will often have no effect or the opposite one.

Latest posts

Back