Clipping Stand, Almost Done

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanch

Reaction score
My brother built us a grooming stand, but after an aciddent, Rhino falling off, I found we needed more safety features. So far we are going to add a 2x6 lip on the stand, with 1 or 2 bars running along the side(removable for where we are clipping) With a 2x6 lip on the ramp itself.

Also, our plan is to back them off it. We are going to take the ramp off and practice getting they down it on a hill, on the ground. So if they fall, they just go onto the ground.

Any suggestions/ideas for either of thease 2 ideas would be great, hope to hear from you all.

I have included pics. The links are if you want acloser look.

Edited to add this, just read the twitch thread. I have one boy who isn't happy about getting clipped sometimes. We won't be doing the face on the stand, so that cut outs most worries. But should I be really worried about them freaking out up there and hurting themselves??

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc111/S...9MarApr0303.jpg

th_2008_0409MarApr0303.jpg

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc111/S...9MarApr0300.jpg

th_2008_0409MarApr0300.jpg

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc111/S...9MarApr0304.jpg

th_2008_0409MarApr0304.jpg

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc111/S...9MarApr0301.jpg

th_2008_0409MarApr0301.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry... I don't want to be that close to legs/hooves. Horses are not sheep that belong on a stand for clipping...

Good luck with that though...

Andrea

It looks good to me. Can't see them doing too much. The only thing I can see is if a horse managed to lay down when fighting, they could easily slip under those rails. I would make sure the horse you clip is nice and calm. Wouldn't put any newbies on there. The ramp is a bit steep looking and I would put rails on that. I can see someone backing down and not doing it straight and going off the ramp. But looks good!

I just sit on the ground when I'm doing mine lower.
default_smile.png

Also, our plan is to back them off it.
......... We had one that a friend built for us.. We also had to back the horses off & most of them did not want to. Was not worth the scare nor the trouble trying to get them to back. Also our show gelding dropped his back leg off the side & scraped up his inside leg pretty bad just before a show......... We thought we would build another ramp in the front but never bothered- we sold it to someone else.

Thank you all for imput.

The big reason we built the stand was because of my moms back. She loves th clip them, but by the time she has done a small portion, her back is KILLING her. Does anyone have any other ideas for those with bad backs, if we do scrap the stand??

With them slipping off, it's 2 feet now, would chopping it down to 1.5 feet, or even one foot be better??

I wouldn't chop it down only becuase your trying to save your mom's back.

I was going to suggest building it more free standing or something. That way you can add a ramp on the front. Then have a gate to open to walk them down. Or build it L shaped off the barn. That way you can turn them and walk them straight off. More wood, but may help in the end.

It seems to me the horse would get agitated with it's head up against the solid wall. Just a thought, maybe turn it sideways and have some hay in front of them?
default_unsure.png

get a mechanics swivel stool. They are back savers for sure!! also clip half the horse one day and the rest the next day. much easier for horse and human

I guess to me, it would seem that the wood would get in the way or me trying to get by the horse or comfort the horse if they start to panic.

Nice idea, but to me it would be a hassle trying to get the clippers to come in the right way on the horse and avoide the wood and do the front of the horse of course.

Running off Keri's idea, we did think off having one along side the barn, with ramps on both sides. Would that be more comforable???

Also, as Contessa pointed out, that would get their face out of the wood. It wasn't that hard to build the ramp, and Brent (brother) said it wouldn't be hard to do this new idea.

Thanks for all the posts as well, love having you guys to bonce ideas off of
default_biggrin.png

Sorry, yet another thing I was thinking. We use to clip them on the padeo, it was raised about 7 inches. Maybe I could get the stand mainframe and get them to just stand on that, raising the horse to about 1 foot off the ground.

Firstly, ask your Mom how far down the horse she can clip without hurting her back. If she can get belly and knees ok then you only need to raise the horse that much. If not, a tall stand is good but I would think, unless your Mom is really tall, that 2 feet makes the horse's back awfully tall for her, unless she is only using it for the lower parts of the horse. Anyway, she is the one who can tell you what is the best height.

I would definately make it sideways up against the barn with two ramps...clip one side, walk them down and turn around and take them up facing the other way....to get behind or in front for the tail V and the face, your Mom is probably ok with them on the ground where she can get in line with them.

With the horse up against the wall, they have less places to fall off as well...they are apt to move away not towards the clipper so the wall would make for a really safe side. I would put up a good lip on the stand to prevent an accidental step off and a removable side rail that can be put up against body height when clipping belly and legs...maybe two rails so you can remove the one in the way and then replace it. 2 x 4's would be wide enough for that.

I might be tempted to put up a rail on the ramps as well...just in case...and a removable bar front and back for the dance-y horses <G>

Great idea!

I like the idea of the "walk-through" grooming stand. My back thinks this is a great idea
default_biggrin.png

I was just thinking: In addition to the top rails, maybe you could use stall guards (the nylon webbing ones) as additional protection on the sides and/or the front and back "gates"? That way, you could take them down on the side you want to clip, and they're easy to install..

Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back