Clipping question..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniequine

Reaction score
Do you all, that are showing,

keep your horse clipped all summer,

even if you have several weeks between shows?

Do you find that they keep their color

better?? or is is just my horse (dark black bay),

or my imagination LOL ??

Sandy

My mom and I really enjoy clipping out and grooming our little herd so we have kept them clipped out this summer, plus we think that the more they have it done the less trama they act like they are having
smile.gif
I also prefer the look of them when they are clipped out I also think that the color does appear to stay better because you are clipping off the sun bleached ends. Our stylist sides really show in our minis, the only difference is that many times they are better than any client that will show up in your chair
wink.gif

I clip mine a couple days before each show..and since we have had shows quite often this summer...he has mostly been clipped all summer.

They get the best colour, when you clip like (4-6) days before a show and all the oils come back in there hair...and they get some of there colour back. When you clip them, the colour just fades.

-Kris

Last edited by a moderator:
I clip my horses in the summer even if they aren't shown. When spring hits and they have all that hair and like this year it was such a very early and very very hot summer, those clippers come out and I know they feel sooo much better.

We clip just before every show. Since we have shown alot this year everyone seems to get clipped about every three weeks. When we clip now you don't see much color change at all so we can do it a day before showing and they look good.

I do not clip anything that is not going to be shown. We have had consistent high 70's- high 80's temps this summer and no-one was in any distress ( I realise this does not compare with some peoples temps
smile.gif
) I would be too worried about sunburn to clip- the coat, as I see it, is there for a reason and my lot are out all the time. They have huge Oak trees to shelter under when it gets really hot. I never clip foals, either- all mine have shed what coat they need to naturally- I notice they have ALL kept a furry "blanket" area over their backs. Again, no distress, but, again, out all the time and access to loads of shade- by the Oaks there is a row of elderberry bushes that the foals have made tunnels through and little "dens" to play in- so cute!!" The Show Horses?? Clipped once at the beginning of the year when they were in full winter coat and did not clip again. Like Susanne I am firmly on the "natural is best" bandwagon when it comes to coats, and it did not affect my placings at all. It is the grooming that goes into your horse that is likely to affect placings- and I put as much effort into my presentation as anyone who has stripped their horses the night before. I also have the advantage that none of my horses stands tucked and shivering if the weather is awful- I have seen some very sorry looking horses if the ring is outdoors and the weather is bad.

The majority of my adult horses shed out very nicely on their own, like a "big" horse, so if they aren't showing, I don't clip them. My foals I do, when the weather starts getting too hot (our temps can and do get over 100 degrees in the summer).

The show horses, I just clip as I "need" to-- not for every show, most of them stay nice and smooth-coated and I like the glossy rich look of their coats as they start to grow out a bit.

I really don't like clipping, it's one of my "most hated" activities, so my horses don't have to endure the clipping process unless I deem it absolutely necessary, lol!

Latest posts

Back