Clipping question(s)...Why/how did it ever start with body clipping?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Showing in natural coat takes MUCH more work then clipping IMO it requires lots of elbow grease and does not look good on all horses.

I have palominos and hate how one of them looks clipped I think he looks pink and icky so try to not clip (for local shows) if I do not have to. That means my shedding out and grooming process has to start pretty early for those horses.

I am not against clipping and have and will continue to do so but here is our palomino pinto gelding showing in natural coat and as long as he is showing locally that is how he will continue to show

This one is shown natural

Paco_June_show.jpg

Here is our other palomino gelding he stays very dark even when clipped and we show him freshly clipped

casper_halter1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Showing in natural coat takes MUCH more work then clipping IMO it requires lots of elbow grease and does not look good on all horses.

I have palominos and hate how one of them looks clipped I think he looks pink and icky so try to not clip (for local shows) if I do not have to. That means my shedding out and grooming process has to start pretty early for those horses.

I am not against clipping and have and will continue to do so but here is our palomino pinto gelding showing in natural coat and as long as he is showing locally that is how he will continue to show

This one is shown natural

Paco_June_show.jpg

Here is our other palomino gelding he stays very dark even when clipped and we show him freshly clipped

casper_halter1.jpg

Wow! Your gelding in the first pic looks amazing!!!!!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_wub.png
That is what I am talking about!
default_aktion033.gif

I think judges appreciate the appearance that you put effort into presenting your horse well. That's my perspective, but I personally don't mind taking one of my horses in the ring against someone who hasn't spent as much time grooming their animal
Holy Hannah Jill, do you think that keeping a natural coat perfect on a horse, is EASIER than spending an hour body clipping???
default_laugh.png
:OKinteresting
default_laugh.png
default_new_shocked.gif

Holy Hannah Jill, do you think that keeping a natural coat perfect on a horse, is EASIER than spending an hour body clipping???
default_laugh.png
:OKinteresting
default_laugh.png
default_new_shocked.gif
ha-ha-ha...
kiss.gif

Jumping jeepers, Sue_C., that's not what I think
meeting.gif

What I think is that I've seen plenty of people show a rough coated miniature horse, especially someone new enough to ask why people body clip, and not realize what they will be up against
ok.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
So if one were to clip what size blades do you use where? Do you use the same clippers and switch out blades or a couple of different clippers?

I have a question reguarding clipping...the only clippers that I have are dog clippers. Would those work? Or do I have to invest in a set of equine clippers (which I am pretty sure Hubby will veto, lol)?

Sorry to hijack, I just didn't want to start a whole new thread, when there is a perfectly good one open on the subject
default_wink.png

Thank!!

I have a question reguarding clipping...the only clippers that I have are dog clippers. Would those work? Or do I have to invest in a set of equine clippers (which I am pretty sure Hubby will veto, lol)?

Sorry to hijack, I just didn't want to start a whole new thread, when there is a perfectly good one open on the subject
default_wink.png

Thank!!
Depends on the dog clippers, how many horses and how much clipping you want to do. You might be able to get by clipping just one mini with dog clippers, but several winter woolie removal clips would be too much for a typical dog clipper. Dog clippers will also work just fine for clean-up cleaning; like bridle path, legs and whisker trimming. My first set of clippers were Wahl KM-2 clippers, and they worked fine for body clipping just one fuzzball; but now that I have 11, I invested in a pair of Oster Clipmasters (bought them used, and they have worked just fine for winter woolie removal). [i don't show, so mostly clip to make them more comfortable. I use the Wahls for just clean-up (bridle paths and "beards"); and the Clipmasters for woolie removal.]

Depends on the dog clippers, how many horses and how much clipping you want to do. You might be able to get by clipping just one mini with dog clippers, but several winter woolie removal clips would be too much for a typical dog clipper. Dog clippers will also work just fine for clean-up cleaning; like bridle path, legs and whisker trimming. My first set of clippers were Wahl KM-2 clippers, and they worked fine for body clipping just one fuzzball; but now that I have 11, I invested in a pair of Oster Clipmasters (bought them used, and they have worked just fine for winter woolie removal). [i don't show, so mostly clip to make them more comfortable. I use the Wahls for just clean-up (bridle paths and "beards"); and the Clipmasters for woolie removal.]

I have a set of Andis AGC 2 Speed Clippers. I bought them because I had burned up 3 sets of clippers on my Cocker Spaniel and I was told I needed a heavier duty set. They are awesome, but I have noticed that they can get a little warm.

I only have 2 minis and I would only be clipping for comfort. Thanks!

I have a set of Andis AGC 2 Speed Clippers. I bought them because I had burned up 3 sets of clippers on my Cocker Spaniel and I was told I needed a heavier duty set. They are awesome, but I have noticed that they can get a little warm.

I only have 2 minis and I would only be clipping for comfort. Thanks!
They will probably work, but you will probably need a few extra sets of blades, so you can switch them out when they get too warm. and, its easier to clip a clean horse, bathing when its cooler is difficult, but really good grooming before clipping helps, and if they'll tolerate it a shop vac on blow to blow the dirt out of their coat can be helpful.

They will probably work, but you will probably need a few extra sets of blades, so you can switch them out when they get too warm. and, its easier to clip a clean horse, bathing when its cooler is difficult, but really good grooming before clipping helps, and if they'll tolerate it a shop vac on blow to blow the dirt out of their coat can be helpful.
Hmmm...yeah, if I wait till I can wash them, it will be a while, lol. Even if it is warm, that wind stays pretty cold till like July. I wish I had bought a set that had blades that were easier to change out. I have Cool Lube, that works pretty well, but I may end up just waiting to see how long it would take for them to shed out naturally...

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it
default_smile.png

It really is up to you on the clipping. It does show the muscle tone off better, and when we've shown we clip, but I won't use a 30blade on the body - skinned isn't pretty IMHO. I especially dislike the 'color class' with a sea of beige and grey horses. A couple of years back a few trainers were showing in a more natural coat (you could see the black or red), and I wish that trend caught on. Even a few days-weeks growth would look better IMHO than not. But it depends on the judge and competition who it will be received.

A friend of mine use to show her Mini in a full coat, and he looked wonderful. Hers was an elbow grease and good feeding regime, and it showed. He generally placed highly or won too.

As for halters, he will outgrow it and its hard to get one that will fit over the years as the noseband size is important for a well fitting show halter, not just the adjustment at the crown. There are a number of Mini horse suppliers that have show halters and there are always used ones for sale on the sale board. I'm a Victor fan and we have black and burgundy ones in three sizes, and an assortment of others we've accumulated over the years.

It really is up to you on the clipping. It does show the muscle tone off better, and when we've shown we clip, but I won't use a 30blade on the body - skinned isn't pretty IMHO. I especially dislike the 'color class' with a sea of beige and grey horses. A couple of years back a few trainers were showing in a more natural coat (you could see the black or red), and I wish that trend caught on. Even a few days-weeks growth would look better IMHO than not. But it depends on the judge and competition who it will be received.

A friend of mine use to show her Mini in a full coat, and he looked wonderful. Hers was an elbow grease and good feeding regime, and it showed. He generally placed highly or won too.

As for halters, he will outgrow it and its hard to get one that will fit over the years as the noseband size is important for a well fitting show halter, not just the adjustment at the crown. There are a number of Mini horse suppliers that have show halters and there are always used ones for sale on the sale board. I'm a Victor fan and we have black and burgundy ones in three sizes, and an assortment of others we've accumulated over the years.

Thanks for your reply.
default_biggrin.png
I was wondering if using a clipper blade that didn't clip so close would work and you answered my question. Also thank you for the advise on the halter and type to look for. I will check out the Victor halters.

From a judges perspective here. I want to see EFFORT and I don't want anything that *detracts* from your horse- but enhances it. If clipping makes a more muscled and clean appearance than do it.

BUT

The argument that you should do it cause everyone else is -and you don't want to stand out. LOL. I can tell you as a judge that often standing out is a GOOD thing. You have a well-groomed, tight and nicely muscled horse - going up against one that's shaved and razored- with me - you'll win. Hands-down. Able to show off what nature provided your horse with hard work and maintenance can and should be rewarded. Doesn't mean don't do a bridle path, etc..

If all "fads" were meant to stick around and no one had the guts to stand up to them - the stock breed world would be worse off than it really is. Peanut-rolling tropers are "technically" illegal in the WP ring... but it was the "norm" for 20 years, and if you rode a natural mover you "stood out". Thankfully, folks in the "know" realized it was just one more way that showing perversed something that some BNT did and it slowly became the "in" thing. Didn't make it right!

From a judges perspective here. I want to see EFFORT and I don't want anything that *detracts* from your horse- but enhances it. If clipping makes a more muscled and clean appearance than do it.

BUT

The argument that you should do it cause everyone else is -and you don't want to stand out. LOL. I can tell you as a judge that often standing out is a GOOD thing. You have a well-groomed, tight and nicely muscled horse - going up against one that's shaved and razored- with me - you'll win. Hands-down. Able to show off what nature provided your horse with hard work and maintenance can and should be rewarded. Doesn't mean don't do a bridle path, etc..

If all "fads" were meant to stick around and no one had the guts to stand up to them - the stock breed world would be worse off than it really is. Peanut-rolling tropers are "technically" illegal in the WP ring... but it was the "norm" for 20 years, and if you rode a natural mover you "stood out". Thankfully, folks in the "know" realized it was just one more way that showing perversed something that some BNT did and it slowly became the "in" thing. Didn't make it right!
THANK YOU for your response. You did an awesome job of answering my question. I was not saying if I were to show that I wasn't going to groom. I am just trying to understand if I would "have" to clip verses hard work or if there were alternatives. With the information recieved here and additional information I am finding I have a plan and will see where it leads. Again thanks for your words of great wisdom. I agree 100% with your thoughts.

Clipping is not "100% necessary" if your horse has a tight coat. I've shown minis plenty of times with tight coats, but they had genetically short coats and it was later-in-the-summer shows. By Nationals though, most are getting furry again. Halter classes, you normally have to clip because your horse is looked at far more closely than it is in performance classes.

Body clipping is not restricted to showing miniatures... LOTS and LOTS of breeds body clip! My friend has a Friesian/Andalusian show barn and most of the client show horses are body clipped at least once in the spring before shows. Arabians, Thoroughbreds, and plenty of other horses are also body clipped. I've even body clipped a few Clydesdales (obviously not below the knee!!!) so don't feel like it's just the miniatures that are routinely clipped.

I think body clipped horses look good!

Andrea
And Road Ponies and Hackneys and Shetlands and even my mom's Warmblood. Lots of breeds clip.
default_yes.gif

And I also know many that show in a full coat, depending on the time of year. I personally clip but only use a 10-15. To each their own
default_smile.png

I had never clipped before I got minis and I have had/shown horses for almost 50 years. I do clip all of my horses in the spring weather they are showing or not. I have gotten pretty good at clipping. I can clip a horse in about an hour and not leave razor marks. I can see the constant clipping for halter horses but, I drive my horses. I like to let them grow out from the first clip and not clip but just clean them up for shows (pasterns, throat, bridal path...etc).

As for a halter. I bought a Royal something (can't remember). It has an interchangeable nose band. It was only about $45 new. That way if you don't keep showing you don't have a ton of $200 halters hanging around. I like an interchangable nose band because if my horse has a longer narrower head (needs an large halter w/ small/shorter nose band) or a shorter wider head (med halter with an exlarge nose band)I can change the nose band to get the proper fit for that horse. Something to think about.

We clip all of our show horses down with a #10, but when I first got into showing minis I had a sorrel and white, bald faced mare that I liked to show in the color class. Two weeks before the show I would bath and clip her with a #7F, that way she could keep some of her color. Then the day before I would touch up her bridle path, eyes, ears and muzzel, would not clip off all of the pretty white hair on her face. She also got first place in color classes, I did use a lot of baby powder and elbow grease to get a good shine and lots of show sheen.

Latest posts

Back