Clipping my yearling, help....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wc minis

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been trying to clip one of my yearling fillies head and neck, and she just will not cooperate. I have never had one that acts this terrible. I did let the clippers lay on her while running, so she would maybe get used to the sound and the feel of them. But as soon as I go to clip her neck she freaks out. I have had others that pitched a fit at first, but it only took a few minutes and than they just stood there fine. Any ideas?? Thanks

Twitch her. She's got to realize bad behavior ends up with pain. Its hard when they act bad. I would also get someone to help hold the head while you do the clipping.

Thanks, That is what I was thinking I was going to have to do. I have a twitch, but I am not sure how to use it. It is a one man twitch.

I went to a clipping clinic last weekend and someone had a genious idea. They used an electric wire holder clip and put it on their lip. The mini fought for a second, but then behaved. Its like a normal clip, but has a harder hold???

My farrier used the electric wire holder clip on one of my horses that didn't want his feet done, it work great.

Then don't start on the neck. Lower the clippers to the front of the chest almost between the front legs. That's a great itchy place where they loved to be scratched. Then just kinda go fast with the clippers up and down like you are itching her. Should feel good and then after a while, make your way up to the neck.

A twitch is not a bad idea. It is better than either you or the horse getting hurt. Before twitching, I would start near the back. We clip lots and lots of minis every year and almost never start near the front--especially on the newer ones. We start at the rump by scratching and then clipping and working our way forward. We usually need to twitch for ears and occasionally for feet, but almost never for the body, neck or upper legs. We just start at the back, work across to the front and then down the neck, under the belly and then the legs. Finishing with the head and feet.

Good luck

Angie

Thanks to all that have replied. It is still pretty cold here, especially at night. So I may just wait until I can do her body first. I did do one strip down the center of her back, and she was fine with that, just freaked out when I went to do her neck, but due to the weather, I didnt want to take any more than that off. I really wish I lived South
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back