Clipping mini's???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baydreamfarms

Reaction score
The legs well. I have a set of Oster A-5's and love them, they do great for the body and have always used them on the big horses. But we clipped our filly yesterday and her legs look horrible because I couldn't get my clippers low enough and in the right angles for her little legs.

So my question is, do you have benches or something like a dog groomer has or do you have a smaller set of clippers for the legs, face and ears? We aren't showing her so it isn't a big deal at all, but I'm a perfectionist so it is bothering me that she still has some hair in places and it doesn't look perfect.

no, you use the same clippers for the legs, face and ears. I use a #10 blade for everything but it really depends on what looks best on your horse. I know that some people use a #40 blade for the face.

You can get a Wahl Pocket Pro to do the ears and touch-ups. i have it and its very helpful to have.

I just pick the foot up--hold it with the cannon sort of laying on my hand, and then I clip the lower part of the leg. You can do the sides and back of the leg easily this way. To do the front I will bring the foot forward & lift it a bit off the ground.

I have clipped the entire horse with my Double Ks, but now that I have my Wahl Chromado cordless clipper I prefer to use it for legs and faces. It's just a little smaller & lighter & more maneuverable

I wound up holding one front leg up to do the inside of the other but Minimor what you are saying makes a lot of sense. But by the time I had gotten to her legs it had been a long day for both of us and she was getting antsy and we just decided to end on a good note.

My filly is only 2 months old so us washing and clipping her and taking 2 and a half hours was a long time for her. I hadn't clipped a horse in 6+ years and it was hotter than hades out that day. But tomorrow when I go out I will try the holding the leg up, I don't know why I didn't think of it. Probably because she is the first mini I have ever clipped. Right now all I have is a 10 blade but we have the 40 on order so it shouldn't be to long now.

Thank you

its really best when clipping to split it up. we bath the first day and clip the body, neck and upper legs. then we either let the horse rest for about 4 hours or finish the next day. Especially young horses it gets to be too much doing it all in one day

That's way too long for a baby.

I do a quicky bath like 10 minutes or less

Another day I clip but usually no more than 30-45 minutes then a good long break inbetween

For clipping legs I sit on my stool and put the legs on my lap

Latest posts

Back