Clipping in spring?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel953

Reaction score
Hey guys, Australian...my first mini...
My QH gelding always gets so wooly in winter and the past couple years coming into spring I've clipped him instead of brushing out his coat... I bought my mini about a month ago when it was cooler but now it's been right up to 30-33 degrees Celsius and have clipped the QH for his comfort and was thinking of doing the same for the mini? I've also just moved towns myself and am in ticky country now so gonna do her legs regardless cause I'm paranoid, would it be fine to do a full body clip? Please help!

It's fine to clip the mini! Quite a few mini owners clip because it takes forever for the minis to shed and we can't wait to see what's under all that hair!
I usually use a longer blade 4, 5 or 7 when I clip. It leaves them with some protection if it gets cold for a few nights. :)

This is great thank you! I'm also really keen to see her summer coat colour because at the moment she's a fluffy cream-pally and i was shown her sister is a beautiful golden. Although i know she wont be the same I'm still excited to see... thanks again!

I clip my little boys in the spring too. If you clip, you’ll want to watch the temperature and make sure your little one doesn’t start shivering if it gets chilly at night. I use the below blanket guideline so I know when I should blanket my horses. Post pics of your mini clipped, I love to see her 💕

817C367B-6682-4C1D-981A-5F0E0F668324.jpeg
(The chart is in fahrenheit, not celsius.)

Yup, perfectly fine to clip. Mine are always happy to get rid of their coat and seem to enjoy the process. Like everyone else said, just have a sheet/blanket on hand in case the weather changes. If you're hesitant, you can always to a trace/hunter type partial clip and go back when it's warmer and finish.

Have a blanket ready. I look forward to spring clipping! Take before/after picture for show&tell.
It's not going to be the best clip job by any means... I'm a dairy farmer not a hair dresser hahahaha but thank you so much, i will x

Latest posts

Back