Clipping foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee

Reaction score
How many of you clip your foals? I live in Alberta, Canada and I would like to actually clip my filly who was born on May 11th just to get her use to being clipped.

I have turned them on many times by her and run them over her when they are not running and she seems fine about them.

Right now she is shedding out her baby fur and just looks so scruffy
smile.gif
I would like to clip her, but will she still get a warm coat in time for winter?

Thanks

Dee

P.S. She has a rain sheet and warm blankets for cool nights.

Hi Dee,

I live in Calgary, and I think that you should wait until next spring/summer to clip her, even though it's hard to wait! Nights are starting to get chilly already, and clipped horses get cold pretty easily. Also, it will take her awhile to grow a really fuzzy coat. We clip late in the year for Nationals (September), but we have a heated barn that they're in every night, and also they get not only blankets on during the day when we come back, but fleece hoods and liners if they need it--it is annoying us because we have to put on all those clothes, and for the horses, too, I'm sure, because they have to wear them! If I didn't have to for showing, I wouldn't clip a horse around here later than mid July.

Dee said:
How many of you clip your foals? I live in Alberta, Canada and I would like to actually clip my filly who was born on May 11th just to get her use to being clipped. I have turned them on many times by her and run them over her when they are not running and she seems fine about them.

Right now she is shedding  out her baby fur and just looks so scruffy
smile.gif
  I would like to clip her, but will she still get a warm coat in time for winter?

Thanks

Dee

P.S. She has a rain sheet and warm blankets for cool nights.

441260[/snapback]

I don't clip, and I have to say I don't like the look of skinned out foals- I prefer the au natural look, myself, so I always skip those threads!! Foals do not need to be clipped "to get used to it" I have never had any trouble clipping yearlings. I tried to do the chin fluff on some foals the other day with the trimmers- I had done the mares and was doing the foals for fun- the only one who objected was my spoiled brat teeny tiny foal- he was having NONE of it. SO he got held and the clippers run all over his body- that's the best way to get a foal used to being clipped!!

Latest posts

Back