Clipping Ears and Pepi

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Taylor Jo

I have Double K clippers but am having trouble getting down in the ears of my horses. Any recommendations of a different set of clippers to do a better job of getting down in those ears. The Dbl K's seem so cumbersome going around the ears on the outside and inside, it's frustrating and I don't have the most patient horses. I just want to get in there and get the job done and I'm trying to maneuver these big clippers and can't get them to do the job.... ERR!!!!!

Also what is World Champion Pepi and how do you use it? I'm always looking for good product to use to help w/ grooming to show with..... Thanks, TJ

Last edited:
Taylor Jo -

I use my Double K clippers to get the ears clipped - it takes some practice, but on a slower speed and a shorter blade, I have no problem getting down in the ears. There are some smaller clippers out there, but everyone has their own preference. I prefer to not have another set of clippers around when the one I have is doing well for me.

Pepi is a show spray similar to the Ultra Finishing spray. Again, each exhibitor has their own preference of what to use. Pepi smells great and gives a good shine to the coat. I use Ultra because of its availability in my area. Experiment at home with different products until you find the one that works the best for you.

I use my Double K's on the body, but for the ears and head i have a set of Wahl Acro's which are smaller and cordless and cost riht around $160....they come with a replacable adjustable # blade so you can go from a 10 to a 50 all in one blade ...very nice. Also they are cordless and light weight and i think very quite...more so then the double K's. Its also nice to have all the blade #'s on one blade so you dont have to go changing blade #'s every minute when doing the head and ears.

Pepi is a nice product but it attacks dirt as it is very very oily so its a product i like to spray on just minutes before going in the ring. I also spray it on the muzzle (overtop the oil gell) just before going in the ring to add a wet look. Just spray a light mist of pepi over the body will do the trick. Dont overdo the pepi on the body...

Taylor Jo -
I use my Double K clippers to get the ears clipped - it takes some practice, but on a slower speed and a shorter blade, I have no problem getting down in the ears. There are some smaller clippers out there, but everyone has their own preference. I prefer to not have another set of clippers around when the one I have is doing well for me.

Pepi is a show spray similar to the Ultra Finishing spray. Again, each exhibitor has their own preference of what to use. Pepi smells great and gives a good shine to the coat. I use Ultra because of its availability in my area. Experiment at home with different products until you find the one that works the best for you.

I've tried that, and I agree PRACTICE. I'm just not that coorindinated I think.... I feel like I'm holding a heavy object in my hand when I use them for the ears and the muzzle.

Oh so that's what it is, well I'd have to order it on line. Right now I'm using "PINK" sheen hairspray for a finishing spray and it works pretty good, but I was hoping for something better. I don't care for show sheen, not enough shine. Thanks, I appreciate it. TJ

I also use an Arco Moser to get down in the ears with, the only thing I do not like about them is the special blades you have to use. I would like a cordless pair that would use the regular A-5's, and not cost a small fortune. The Laube Lightenings I think are around 400-450 dollars.

Pepi smells great
It's my choice of Perfume!
default_laugh.png

Thanks on the Wahl Acro's, they're reasonably priced, I could dig that...... The other ones the other post mentioned is a bit more pricey and I don't want to go that much just to clip ears and muzzles.

Thanks on the Pepi too. I'm glad you said to just spray it just before going in the ring. I'll spray it over the muzzle w/ the oil before going in too. My horse will just "LOVE" that..... Oh he gets so crabby any time I spray something. Gee, you'd think he'd get used to it by now... Come on, get a grip horse!!!!!! I tell him all the time, your going to be sprayed w/ something for the rest of your life, whether it be SHOW SPRAY or FLY SPRAY OR WATER, so best get used to it.

TJ

We use the "Peanut" by Wahl for the ears. Very small and quiet as well as little vibration. We also use it for inside the nostrils and under the eyes.
default_yes.gif

We use the "Peanut" by Wahl for the ears. Very small and quiet as well as little vibration. We also use it for inside the nostrils and under the eyes.
default_yes.gif

Is that the Peanut trimmer? I just looked it up on line....

I use some Laube cordless clippers but I don't remember the model. I had them in my hand no more than 10 minutes ago, doing touch-up. They do use their own blades, but they are adjustable with the tweak of a lever and I love the feel of the clippers in my hands. They were about $100, complete with 2 batteries and re-charger. I use them for touch-up, legs, and heads. And of course ears!

For fetlocks, ears and face, a smaller cordless. I have 3 different - 2 Oster and 1 Laube. I have never heard of peanut, but I have Oster new Micro and like it. Ponies weren't so upset with it.

I use some Laube cordless clippers but I don't remember the model. I had them in my hand no more than 10 minutes ago, doing touch-up. They do use their own blades, but they are adjustable with the tweak of a lever and I love the feel of the clippers in my hands. They were about $100, complete with 2 batteries and re-charger. I use them for touch-up, legs, and heads. And of course ears!

I found these on line Laube® Speed Feed Cordless Trimmer Kit Theyr'e $122.00 not bad at all. Thanks. I like all the different blades. Thanks everyone.

Someone in another post also suggested a Wahl Acro and I went and looked at it. I can get it for $119.00 w/ free shipping and another new blade. The reviews I read were from horse owners and said it was good so I think I'm going to go w/ it. Thanks everyone for your input. I almost went w/ the Laube.

The Wahl ALSO comes in pink which is my FAVORITE color.... NEVER can I have enough pink. So that did it for me. SOLD!!!!!! Thanks, appreciate it. TJ

Latest posts

Back