Clipping Dapple Greys

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole

Reaction score
How long should you wait before you clip dapple greys before a show?

and what size of blade would you use on the body? I have used the 10blade but I find I want a sleaker look so should I clip with a 15 or a 40. I am assuming the 40 may be to short but I have heard people using the 40 on the body. Will the dapples loose their colour with that size of blade?

One more question what about the head 15 or 40. I do use the 50 on the nose and eyes.

Thanks for any info that you may be able to share.

When you say "Dapple Gray"....are you speaking about a true Gray, or a Silver Dapple?

I would always clip my Silver Dapples the day before the show. Clipping them seemed to bring out their dapples more. Don't know if that's true for all of them, but it was with mine.
default_yes.gif
: I clipped bodies with a #10 or #15 (depending on the horse) and face with a #30...muzzle and ears & above eyes with #40 or #50.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a dapple gray mare and it depends on how much time I have before the show on when I clip. I do NOT clip with a #40 if the show is outside. This time of year a #15 should be fine. Linda

When you say "Dapple Gray"....are you speaking about a true Gray, or a Silver Dapple?

I would always clip my Silver Dapples the day before the show. Clipping them seemed to bring out their dapples more. Don't know if that's true for all of them, but it was with mine.
default_yes.gif
: I clipped bodies with a #10 or #15 (depending on the horse) and face with a #30...muzzle and ears & above eyes with #40 or #50.

I agree completely with Dona about clipping the day before the show and dapples coming out. I used to use a #15 on my silver dapples, then tried a #30 once and couldn't believe the difference!!! My Pewter mare's dapples became almost three dimensional!

I showed a gorgeous blue roan for some friends one year and did the same with him, the #30. Awesome results!

Latest posts

Back