Clipping 2019

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Oh dear. I was hoping to post a nice picture of Dapper Dan clipped, but I couldn't finish him due to dull blades. Thought they would see me through but he was just too hairy. But I did uncover some fungal spots on his shoulder and neck and a lump, which is likely from the Adequan injections. We had no idea there was anything like that under all that hair. But I may take him to the vet to verify that the lump is in injection lump. It's so important to see what is going on under all that hair. Even though I brush regularly, it's just too hard to see what is concealed. I washed him with Selsun Blue and turned him loose, thoroughly annoyed, to roll in the muddy pea gravel. Must send off my blades lickety split so I can finish him before our Head Start outing!

Oh he looks good. I started clipping 1 of my oldies a few days ago. Blades were dull so I had to quit too. Now my guy, Jake, looks way worse. Glad that lump was nothing to worry about.

What size clippers do you use... I have a pair of body clippers that I used on my Arabians... but they are big, and heavy, and tough to use on the little guys...Any recommendations???

When should you clip them in the spring

If they need it, and you don't want to be blanketing a lot, then wait til it's consistently above 50F day and night, but especially overnight. If you don't mind blanketing, then you can clip when you like, but below 50F, they need blanketing, since you took away their protection.

Yes, we are due to drop into the 30s tonight. Dapper Dan has his blanket on. but when i went out to feed, my other unclipped horse was shivering. its been raining all day. so i put a blanket on her also.

Doesn't take as low of temp when it's wet out, especially if they are soaked, they get cold sooner.

She wasn't clipped, but her coat is fine. I'm sure she would have been fine, but I felt better putting a blanket on her. I think the cold is over for us, so just need to wait for my blades to come in the mail and tidy them both up. This mare is new to me and I'm curious to see what she has under that coat.

Don't feel bad. She is so nervous, she was a champ for this clip but it was for lice treatment. So I did only what was necessary so I didn't push her too much. She gets a full proper clip soon.
57936043_416124165881059_4416450029355532288_n.jpg

Clipped Sparkie with a 4f first going with the grain and then against. This is his first time being clipped so it was kept as low-key as possible and stopped when he had reached his limit. Far from perfect clip which is driving this former professional dog groomer batty but it will do. Blanket at night.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190415_154805.jpg
    MVIMG_20190415_154805.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20190415_154837.jpg
    IMG_20190415_154837.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 4
I just trimmed up Zorro's mane the other day. I use a large comb on my 10 blade to get a nice smooth look...
IMG_3904.jpg

IMG_3906.jpg

I suggested clipping the head and neck of our yearling palomino filly and the yearling pinto colt that was a weird color.
Everyone thought he had silver even though both dam and sire didn't have it.
He was light brown colored.
Kari got over zealous and clipped the colts hole body except lower legs.
We found out how tiny he really is, as well as refined. Does need to gain some weight. Also discovered he is black.

Attachments

• 20190417_102705-1.jpg
    20190417_102705-1.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 13
33C12400-8190-4EBE-8DEF-0BCE4D936C6D.jpeg 177E72F6-1703-441B-A3F3-F77593A2C544.jpeg

Ugh...this site is not liking me today for photos. I can’t get the before photo to show before the after photo! Oh well...anyway, here are pics of Coady’s VERY overdue mane before and after clipping:)

Latest posts

Back