Clippers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbie Roberts

Reaction score
Would like your recommendations on clippers. For full body clipping. I have Double K's and not so happy with them. Lucky to get one done without issues. Send them in every year for service. Would like to know what you use and happy with. Thanks

I've used andis and double k. On my ridiculous Shetland bred, both are crap. On the finer ones the double ks are better. What size blade are you using ?

I use #10 mostly. Horses are bathed before clipping. Something I just found out was to use show sheen before clipping. I haven't tried that yet!

I use the andis 2 speed. If your blade drive is worn they don't work well. I have no trouble clipping my two dirty boys with the Andis. I send my blades to Northern Tails and order a new blade drive when they are sharpened.

If it is the first clip of the year, I use the big "cow" clipper - it's an Oster. I always wash first and saturate with show sheen....much easier on the clipper. Then I wash again and REALLY rinse them thoroughly. Subsequent clips I use my Double K and LOVE it. But I always wash, saturate with show sheen, and sometimes even clip wet. I can do 10 to 15 horses before I need to switch out the blades doing it that way.

I use Wahl KM-2 clippers and the Double K's right now and I like both equally. The Double K's get hot quick, though. I have had two or three Oster A5's over the years and had bad luck with all of them.

I can't believe you can get 10-15 horses on a blade. I'm going to try the show sheen. I usually use at least 2 blades per horse. I think something must be wrong with them. I have A LOT of blades. Who all do you like to send your clippers/blades to for service? Maybe that's my problem.

I can't believe you can get 10-15 horses on a blade. I'm going to try the show sheen. I usually use at least 2 blades per horse. I think something must be wrong with them. I have A LOT of blades. Who all do you like to send your clippers/blades to for service? Maybe that's my problem.
Look up Northern Tails. Fast turnaround and he repairs clippers. I use 3 blades when clipping, soaking in blade wash when they get warm.

I use Wahl KM-2 clippers and the Double K's right now and I like both equally. The Double K's get hot quick, though. I have had two or three Oster A5's over the years and had bad luck with all of them.
Never run the Double K at full speed. I run mine at slightly over half to 3/4 speed, and they don't get anywhere near as hot.

Gotta make sure the horse is CLEAN and saturated with show sheen....and you are probably running your clipper too fast. The heat will make them go dull faster...and I wash the blade frequently in Blade Wash. I NEVER use that spray (Blade Kool???) because it will ruin the blades. If you cannot adjust the speed swap out your blades occasionally....after it cools it SHOULD be able to clip again.

Never run the Double K at full speed. I run mine at slightly over half to 3/4 speed, and they don't get anywhere near as hot.
I do run mine at half speed and they still get pretty hot. I use Cool Lube and that helps, and switch blades, too. Do you have any other ideas why they may be running hot? They are have about four mini body clips on them so they are pretty new.Thanks.

Cool lube - if that is the spray, that could be the problem. I use Blade Wash.....dip the blades in a coffee can with about 1" of it and that washes the grit off the blades. It's the dirt and dust that makes them run hot. Cool lube will actually make your blades wear out faster UNLESS you are washing your blades frequently while clipping. Of course, you do need to wash and show sheen your horse before clipping, too.

I do not wash mine first nor use show sheen. Sharp blades, oiled during use, clipper in good condition, blade wash to drop the blades in when they get warm. But, I only have two dirty, yakky horses to clip. I send my blades off in the spring to be sharpened and replace the blade drive then. On the smaller clippers like my Andis, the new blade drive makes a huge difference.

Our rural water is way too cold for bathing for at least another month.

Who do you send them to? And when you send them in do you tell them to replace the blade drive?
www.northerntails.com

It wouldn't let me copy/paste the link--not sure why. I heard of this company on this Forum a few years ago and am totally pleased. He sends instructions and sometimes a CD with clipper/blade care. Very quick turnaround and every blade is sharp--unlike the local guy I used to use. My husband replaces the blade drive, and you probably could also. It's just a little plastic piece. But you can send your clippers and the clipper guy will do it. The blade drive is $5. Highly recommend.

1st clip job of the year I always did a rough clip on a dirty horse.I came from a background where you NEVER clip a dirty horse.gave the little fuzz ball a bath and 2 days later still wet near the skin.After that I started doing the rough clip.brush as best you can then clip (not down to the hide going in the direction the hair grows.they look awful thien a nice bath and do the good clipping.I have always used Double K Have a set over 20 yrs old and still working good luck

Marsha, I have my husband replace (black plastic piece/felt) would that be the blade drive you are talking about? And I replace those often too when I start getting a vibration. Will look up the northerntails and see about there service. Thanks for sharing information

Thank You Marsha, looked them up and they only service andis, and I have double k's. Thank You Jean B. I will look into this and send them in to be serviced

Jean_B I bet it IS the Cool Lube that has mine running hot. I only started using it this year because I paid so much for the darn clippers that I wanted to baby them. I will get some

blade wash. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back