Clippers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will ONLY use Double K. They're the best, IMO.

I use a force dryer (like groomers use on dogs... I was a professional dog groomer for 6 years) to blow out all the dirt and shedding hair off the mini first, then I spray them with Laser Sheen (it's like Show Sheen but I like the way it smells lol), then clip. I don't bathe, the force dryer does a better job IMO and then I don't have to wait for them to dry and keep them from rolling ;)

I personally like to shave with a #7F on the body. Some minis I have I use a #10 as it looks better, but for the majority, I prefer the look of the 7, but use a 10 on the head. I know I'm in the minority with using a 7, but that's fine with me
default_smile.png
I also leave ears (although I may neaten them up), whiskers, and legs. Of course, if I'm showing at an A/R show, I clip the outside of ears and the legs, but my showing is mainly CDE.

I'm going to send them in again for service. I too have a horse (blower) that I use and yes it get deep down. The only thing I haven't done is the show sheen. Will try that when I clip. Thank You all for sharing for what works best for you.

I offer miniature horse clipping services in Minnesota. The clipper I use is an Andis ProClip Excel 5-Speed, I would never use anything else! It is quite expensive, but it is worth it! It is amazingly quite and light weight, it leaves no lines and stays cool. It's smaller size makes it great for minis. Its feels like you're cutting through butter! Very easy to handle and fast! I also use a small Andis Trim N’ Go clipper for touch-ups. I can get about 20-25 horses on one blade. Always make sure you bathe your horse before you clip them, other wise your blade will get dull really quickly.

Brooke Sheridan, who is one of the most sought after Miniature Horse Clippers in the world, literally clips hundreds of minis around the world every year. She will only use the Andis ProClip Excel 5-Speed and highly recommends it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You Erickson Miniature Horses: Could you send me more information on the clippers, as when I looked them up there were many different ones, all Andis proclip excel 5 speed, and price range from 100-300. Or would you have pictures of the ones you use. Thanks

Just ordered the Andis ProClip Excel 5 speed. Can't wait to try them out. Thanks for your help Anna! Looking forward to trying them out! So tired of half clipped horses before my clippers go bad. Expensive, but so were my Double K's.

Just got my Andis ProClip Excel 5 speed clippers today. Of course we are getting rain so will have to wait for a nice day to bathe and clip. Can't wait to try them out. They are the same as your's Anna. Thank You all for your information and what you all like. It's going to be nice if I can get them both done in a day!

For the first clips of the year nothing replaces my Double Ks, I have clipped close to 10 dirty horses on a blade already this year and it is one that is left over from clipping last year! They do dull a lot faster on dirty horses and show sheen does help a lot. For show clips I like the Andis Excel 5 Speed BUT they do not have enough power to get through the thick winter hair, they just are nice because they are lighter than the Ks so easier on my wrist. I think the place I sent my Double Ks to when I broke them was Fort Worth Shaver in TX. If your lever (blade drive) is bad it will greatly affect the quality of clip job and how well they clip in general. Also could be that the cable needs greased.

Got to try my new Andis Pro Clip Excel yesterday and today. Got them both clipped and no issues. I really like them, they worked perfect!!!! Thank You all for the information. Washed, show sheen, and clipped. Was so nice to get them clipped with no issues with my clippers...

Latest posts

Back