Clipper Comparison

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcslc

Reaction score
Wahl KM-2 clippers seem to be basically the same as Oster Turbo A5. Does anyone have experience with either or both, or am I looking at the wrong kind of clipper? I will mainly be clipping foals. I want quality without a huge price tag! Thanks for your input. Cindy

I have the Oster A5 two speed turbo and I love them!! They work just as good as the double K's in my opinion and I have used both.
aktion033.gif

I have the Wahl Km-2 clippers, just bought them this spring, after I brought home my first mini. I did get the wide #10 blade for body clipping. They seem to be working great for me.

I'll attach a couple of pictures so you can see, oh and this was also my first attempt at body clipping, so clipper tracks were my fault not the clippers (also not bathed before clipping). (I clipped his head and neck a month before I body clipped him).

Before:

Dakota-February2005-collage.jpg

Sorry all I have on-line is the collage.

After head/neck clip:

Dakota-April-regcamera-headshot.jpg

The funny little dark patch on his neck, is from his coggins test (they clipped a small patch).

After body clip:

Dakota-May20-clipped.jpg

He was not bathed before clipping, too cold for a well-water bath.
biggrin.gif

You can see by the hair pile, he was pretty fuzzy.

Thanks for both answers and especially for posting the pictures. Did you do all of the clipping with just one set of blades or did you have to replace the blades? I always hear that you have to bathe the horse before clipping or the blades will get dull immediately. I always picture going through many sets of blades to get a full clip. Cindy

tcslc said:
Thanks for both answers and especially for posting the pictures. Did you do all of the clipping with just one set of blades or did you have to replace the blades? I always hear that you have to bathe the horse before clipping or the blades will get dull immediately. I always picture going through many sets of blades to get a full clip.  Cindy
445782[/snapback]

I bought a can of the Cool Lube to use while clipping which helped. I did change blades during clipping. I did a pretty quick, messy job with the wide #10 blade and then went back to do touch-ups with regular #10. I probably need to send my blades in for resharpening, after clipping without bathing, but haven't gotten around to it, yet.

I obviously wasn't clipping him to show, just making him more comfortable with the warmer weather. Besides, I couldn't wait any longer to see what was under all his winter woolies.

I use cordless clippers for my babies. much easier. I have Andis AGR cordless and Wahl Arco cordless and they both work great for the foals. Also good for bridlepaths and faces. The Arcos go from a 9 blade to a 40 with the flip of your finger, no blade changing. I also have oster A-5 single and turbos. Which I use for body clipping.

I have the STABLE PRO Wahl clippers (i do not know if they are the same as the KM-2) and i really like them. they have a 3-length blade and i think they trim much better than the A-5 (my sister has a pair and i really do not like them at all. She just bought the stable pro wahl to replace hers).

to help your blades use BLADE WASH while clipping! they make the blades last sooooooo much longer (thanks to Jean for telling me to use it WHILE clipping and not for just washing blades between clipping!). Blade oil lengthens the time for blades too.

Bathing helps on think-coated dirty horses and will save your blades alot. i also brush as i go in clipping sometimes to get extra dirt out.

jennifer
saludando.gif

We have both - I pefer the KM2's to the A5's. We have a showteam of about 5-6 and clip for everyshow - we go to about 15 shows a season so they get a good work out. Never once had a problem with them.

I don't like the A5's we have had 3 pairs of them they get very hot very quickly regadless of how much cooling spray or blade wash you use.

I have had a couple a-5's and am a firm believer in the Double K's. Yes they cost more but are definately worth every penny. I also find Laube blades to work best and Jeffers has them for $9.95 so buy several and throw them away when dead. I keep my blades in blade wash and change as they get hot.

Latest posts

Back