Clipper Care

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseMom

Reaction score
I've been seeing a lot of posts about people shopping for clippers, including myself. I thought it might be helpful for myself and others to get information from others about proper clipper care so that our clipper purchases will stay in good working order for years to come.

default_saludando.gif

Hi, what kind of clipper do U have? I do periodicaly take mine apart to clean and lube and oil the parts. I do spray my blades with WD-40 it's cheap along with Kool Lube. I do clean the blade in blade wash always too.

If a blade is vibrating you can take needle nose pliers to the back of them the place where the blade slide in to the clippers, slightly pinch them straight the bracket looking things.

If some one needs this I'll have my husband post pics, he is the wizz-bang with the PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try Crescendo Acres in New Hampshire for your clipper questions and needs. Russ and Diana provide blade sharpening and repair/tune-up service. Russ has a lot of knowledge with clippers.

I have a set of Double K's and Russ just tuned them up for me. I am also on the market for a set of cordless clippers as well.

my clippers have never been taken apart. I use them on the horses and then bring them in the house to store them. I do keep the area behind the blades free of caked hair. I do clean them up that way. But I never take them apart to clean anything and don't oil anything other than the blades. I figure I will have them serviced this year when the clipper guy comes to our show. He is a Andis clipper distributer and he services them. I have had my clippers going on 5 years now with no problems.

The number one thing that we've seen that causes problems with blades......not enough oil. The blades need to be oiled regularly. When you're clipping, even though you use the cool lube and such...it isn't enough. You need to add a few drops of oil frequently.

I keep a toothbrush close and occassionaly clean the teeth of the blades with it to get the hair out. Try not to drop the blades. This is what breaks teeth off which causes pulling and cutting.

When you send blades out to be sharpened, don't take them apart. The person sharpening needs them to be complete so they can adjust tension and ensure that they are setup correctly for optimum cutting ability.

I second Crescendo Acres. I live in Washington, and have sent my blades and Double K clipper hand piece back to Russ for servicing and such and have not been disappointed. He does a great job, and his prices are very competitive.

Amanda

Lots of blade washing while using, always oil before and after, and if using awhile,oil in between, I store my blades face down in a caddy with about 1/4-1/2" of blade wash covering the the blades. Russ from Crescendo acres said the blade coolant tends to cause the blades to dull quicker.

I MUST add that after all the talk about good cordless clippers last month, I decided to purchase a pair of Laube speed feed cordless clippers for quick jobs. I am mighty impressed, started off giving my son (6yr old) a cut, well he didn't squirm once, then I gave my 5 month old colt a quick facial using a blade guide, just to even up the fuzzies, worked great, treat in one hand clippers in the other, nibble, clip,...nibble clip, ......, worked great, minimal fuss since they are fairly quiet, then the ultimate test, I was brave and used them on my bichon, motored right through. Quite impressed.

I MUST add that after all the talk about good cordless clippers last month, I decided to purchase a pair of Laube speed feed cordless clippers for quick jobs. I am mighty impressed, started off giving my son (6yr old) a cut, well he didn't squirm once, then I gave my 5 month old colt a quick facial using a blade guide, just to even up the fuzzies, worked great, treat in one hand clippers in the other, nibble, clip,...nibble clip, ......, worked great, minimal fuss since they are fairly quiet, then the ultimate test, I was brave and used them on my bichon, motored right through. Quite impressed.
As a professional dog groomer I cant live with out my speed feeds! I have had the same pair for for 2 years now and do 10 to 12 dogs a day with them. I also use them on my horses muzzles at the shows because they make a blade that go to the length of a 60 blade so its great!

I agree with storing the blades in blade wash. I keep them in as must as I can so they are submerged. I also clean out the heads with a clean, dry paint brush. A little longer than the tooth brush.

Latest posts

Back