Clipper blades.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soggy Bottom Ranch

Reaction score
Is it common for resharpened clipper blades to dull much faster than than new blades? I had 9 blades cleaned and sharpened last spring, and had them all ready to go for clipping Spot when it warmed up enough. He was all cleaned up for just doing a head and neck clip on him tonight. Two of the blades I put on I got a couple good passes on, then it was if they were just as dull as when I sent them out for sharpening. Three of the blades seemed as though they'd never been sharpened. They are leaving lots of tracks, and when I go back to clean up the tracks, it took several times going over each section just to clean them up. I went through 5 of my 9 blades just doing half of his head and neck, and that took me 2 1/2 hours! Last year, most of these blades were new, and I didn't even use all of the blades on his whole body! I didn't even bathe him last year! I did 3 horses last year with those blades, and I can't even get a whole head and neck out of them this year! What gives? I tried cleaning them with a clipper blade wash, but there wasn't any sand or dirt in them.

Anyone else have this experience with resharpened blades?

Either the person who sharpened them for you didn't do a good job on them OR they weren't stored in oil to keep them from rusting. You may not be able to see the oxidation on them, it can be only minimal and still prevent them from cutting properly. Did the person sharpening them have your clippers to test them with? If not, they may just need adjusting for tension to your clippers.

I didn't send my clippers with the blades. Is that something that normally should be done? This was my first time sending blades out. Also, they were wrapped in tissue paper when I got them back, but I don't feel any oil on them, nor do I see any oil residue on the tissue paper. I would think if they were oiled, the tissue paper would show some staining from it. But.........I don't see any rust at all on them either. So it would still be possible to have oxidation on them, and I wouldn't see it?

Can you tell me also, the comb/blade that fits underneath the top part of the blade can easily move back and forth by just using my fingers to move it. Is that normal?

Poor Spot........he looks so silly now!
default_laugh.png
DH is going to be very upset with me if I have to go out and buy MORE blades!
default_whistling.gif

Hi! I just wanted to try to help with your blades. I own a dog grooming business, so my blades have to work and work for a long time! It does sound like your sharpener did a lousy job. However, do you run your blades in bladewash such as Wahl H-42, (NOT the spray stuff as that doesn't lubricate, it just gunks up the blades) and oil them frequently during use??

Hi! I just wanted to try to help with your blades. I own a dog grooming business, so my blades have to work and work for a long time! It does sound like your sharpener did a lousy job. However, do you run your blades in bladewash such as Wahl H-42, (NOT the spray stuff as that doesn't lubricate, it just gunks up the blades) and oil them frequently during use??
Thank you! Actually, yes, I usually put some of the blade wash right in the cap from the can, and use it from there. I also have the Oster oil, and use both the wash and the oil as needed while I'm clipping.

I think I'd better contact the people who sharpened my blades, and see what they have to say.

Back