Clipper blades - when they are sharpened

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizbeth

Reaction score
I took three blades into a local shop to have sharpened. They did not work when I got them back, well one did for long enough to 1/2 clip horse. The other two not at all and I was not clipping winter hair off either, this filly had been clipped in the late fall so did not have that thick winter hair. I asked them about the blades, they said bring them back they had trouble with their wheel and had it fixed. I took them and 6 others to them the other day and just got them back. 8 of nine will not work at all and only the #50 cuts. I put in a brand new blade and it worked just fine.

Any ideas on what they are doing? Will my blades even be to be any good to have someone else to sharpen them? Two of the blades were new and never sharpened before, several of the others had been sharpened one time. The rest mininal use/sharpening as well.

I have a new flipper/felts in my clippers and have no problem clipping with brand new blades, I use oil and blade wash as needed. But of course these that just got sharpened would not cut at all, so nothing was used on them to make the work.

B

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Try adjusting your screws in the top of the blade. Clippers all work at different speeds and screws are set according to the brand you use, if the sharpener know the brand.

Thank you will try that. I hope that is it, sure would be nice to have someone local to do them. I'm sure he does not know what clippers I use, or pretty sure that is.

I have just never had to adjust screws before to make my blades work but maybe others knew the type of clippers I use.

I heard that if the blades come as a 2 piece and get mixed up after sharpening, that might cause a issue as well. Like Wahl blades, if you dont have the same matching pieses after you get the back and you have a different piece from another set of blades, that could cause them not to clip right or at all.

ONLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD. Not sure if its true but dose kind-of make sence too.

Hi...We sharpening blades for our small business. You do not want to mix up the blades and parts....we have a routine in place to make sure that never happens. Also, there is more to blade sharpening than just putting them on a wheel and putting them back together. The socket needs to be checked with a special tool and adjusted. Then there is the spring...if it is even slightly out of alignment your blades might not cut, corn row, or you will have to push it through the hair to get it to cut. The spring is also touchy and can become too loose or too tight. If the spring cannot be adjusted, we replace it and it often solves the problem for a extra $1.84. There is also the blade guide that can cause issues. And oil....if not properly oiled during reassembly the extra friction can cause the blades to heat up very quickly and then you can get cutting problems. Hope this information helps.

Gina

D & G Sharpening

Thank you all for your advise. This is most aggrevating - especially when you a "project" to do.

Thanks again....

B

Mizbeth I had this problem too. I finally quit using the repair service, after so many failures, and attemps to fix things.

I wish I could take a course on adjusting clipper blades, cause all mine did was jam, or corn row like T minis mentioned.

So just about every year so far I have had to purchase a new blades for my andis.

To bad we dont have a service close by like D&G Sharpening!
default_yes.gif

This is why I stopped paying to sharpen my blades. I have never ever had them come back sharp enough to even do one full clip so I just buy new. But I am going to send some to D&G and give them a try
default_smile.png

Yeah, gets expensive replacing them, gee. Too bad that has to happen. Something with the blades these days though as they do not last as long as they did years ago. When I first started clipping horses about 12 years ago, they would last horse after horse after horse. I could go all year on one blade, of course that is switching them out.

Sure makes clipping them expensive then? But of course it could be something as simple as adjustment or putting them back together properly but in any case when you pay money to have them sharpened you expect them to cut, these did not even make one cut.

Beth

I know how frustrating clipping can be...that is the reason we decided to get into sharpening & repairs. We wanted to help others who have had bad experiences regain confidence and know we will do everything we can to end the frustation and make clipping "enjoyable" again. And if we just can't get a blade going for some odd reason....there is no reason to pay for something you in the end can't even use in the end.

I had a local cat groomer who has had terrible experiences with her blades, I told her we would continue to work with her until she was happy and her blades did what she was wanting. Well, she was thrilled with her blades the very first time. And my cat had to earn her keep some how so, she now has a small bald spot on her rump just to double check our work.

Visit our new website using the link below. (I just changed it today)

Gina

Mizbeth I so agree! The blades are higher then ever now but dont last near as long as a few years back. We used to be able to get about 6 body clips from a new blade. Now we are lucky to get 3. And these are show horses that are clean and barely have any hair to re clip! Ughh its so frustrating to spend that much on blades.

I had a local cat groomer who has had terrible experiences with her blades, I told her we would continue to work with her until she was happy and her blades did what she was wanting. Well, she was thrilled with her blades the very first time. And my cat had to earn her keep some how so, she now has a small bald spot on her rump just to double check our work.
OMG, I am sorry, but I read your post and laughed out loud.
default_new_rofl.gif
I can just imagine you holding her down and buzzing a spot, her getting up, checking it out, and looking up at you with a horrified, disgusted look.

Try someone else. For years I have brought my blades to someone to sharpen as well as do maintence on my clippers she did a great job. I had them sharpened once a year and used them the whole show season on 2-3 horses no problem.

I brought them to someone else once a bit cheaper and OMG they would not cut anything. NEVER AGAIN. I brought them back to my usual lady and they were re adjusted, sharpened and now working great. Mnay of these blades are over 3 years old and now that I back to the great clipper lady still going strong

I always take all of my used blades down with me to the AMHA World show. Ft Woth Clippers does all of them for me and wrapes each one and boxes them. Then the following spring, I have blades that work just as well, if not better, than a new blade.

Usually it costs me about $200 to have all of the baldes done. But we are talking quite a few blades, like 3 boxes worth at about 25 to 30 or so to a box. Sure saves on money as a new blade costs over $20.00 and only lasts for a couple of horses.

Latest posts

Back