clipped our stallion-

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
Triple Ks Boogies Bowtie

28" smutty buckskin

I have a neck and belly sweat on him a couple hours a day and longing a few times a day for 10 -15 min

but I don't think it will be enough

I have to touch up his mane and tail would you keep his mane long? He's kinda tired in these pics it was a long day

any tips?

bowsmallemail2.jpg

bowsmallemailatt.jpg

bowsmalleremailattachment.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
neck and belly sweats dont work unless you leave them on basically 24/7. Normally people only take them off to clean them and air the neck/belly and then put them back on. If your only doing a couple hours per day you may as well skip it.

If he was mine I would dye his mane and tail black to get rid of the sunbleaching and set off his body color. I would also thin down the forelock and pull the mane to trim it. Some is so much longer then the other parts that it kinda looks odd

Good luck and most of all have fun!!!

I would suggest a full neck sweat 24/7, and make his bridle path longer once you get all the stray hairs cleaned up. He is a very nice looking man, love his color. Good luck at your show.... kick some butt.

Thanks so much

the belly sweat I have has the soft cloth inside to keep the rubber off the skin the neck sweat does not is that ok for long periods without the cloth?

Neck sweats (rubber ones) should only be used while condidtioning the horse. Neck wraps made with a thick cloth material are the ones that can be keep on 24/7.

thanks so much I went out to the barn and put it on him

then I went back out to the barn and took it off again

I'm learning, but I've got a long way to go

any other suggestions?

Start trotting him! Work up to 20 minutes in the morning and then 20 in the evening. And then up to 30-40 minutes twice a day.

You don't need to (and should NOT) leave sweats on 24/7. That will blister the horse. Wraps can be worn 12 or so hours a day but are not sweats. The sweats will work best if you use them with sweat ointment (like Ultra Great Neck II). I only used sweats and wraps one season, due to laziness, but they DO work. I'd lunge the horse w/ the ointment and sweat on, then tie the horse for an hour or so "sweating" before removing the sweat, washing the neck. At night then I'd apply the wraps.

Wraps are fleecy, soft things. Sweats are neoprene and will irritate if left on for hours on end and must not ever be left on 24/7 as suggested above.

As to the lunging, I've had the best luck lunging a horse his age 20-25 minutes every other day. Not every day.

I'd also dye his mane and tail. I've loved "Just for Men" shampoo in as it doesn't drip like the other products I've tried and I'd use a "blackest brown" or "almost black" shade NOT "black" which will look unnatural.

Also, I'd thin his mane and probably take it down his neck a bit more. And bring the noseband of the halter up just a touch.

Sorry I dont use neck sweats or wraps on any of my show horses so I confused the words. I still dont think putting a neck sweat on for two hours a day is going to make any difference. As soon as you leave it off the rest of the day its going to get thick again. I know at the shows the horses that wear them wear a sweat while they are working and a wrap the rest of the time. The only time you see them off is when the horse is in the ring and then the wraps are right back on

I just went and looked to at some online stores and they have many sweats listed that can be left on guess they are made differently??

Be careful with neck sweating oil. I have seen a lot of horses with burns from using that

I agree with muffntuff that trotting him would be much better for getting that tummy off

I have been learning a lot about sweats, myself. If you use a 6" neck WRAP, which is a long piece of fleece with neoprene at the end, with a 2" neck SWEAT that is neoprene over the top of that at the throatlatch, it works really well. I undo the sweats when I work my horse, then put it right back on afterwards. What I have found is that when you take off the sweats the neoprene will feel wet, but the fleece that is next to the horse is dry. That is because the fleece wicks the moisture away from the horse.

Over the years I have seen several different methods of sweating a horse, and I think most work. Most people do use the sweats when they work the horse, but that is the "breathe" time that I give mine. I recommend that you take off and rewrap once daily after brushing off the neck and letting it breathe for a few. Leaving it on 24 x 7 will practically guarantee that you get skin fungus from it.

Best of luck to you!

He is a hottie!!! Good luck. What show are you going to???

Hi Lori,

Bowtie is the sire to my gelding colt Colonal Drummer Boy born July 4,06. I tried to copy pic from forum but did not wk. I would really appreciate a pic of Bowtie to put in Drummer's scrap book. He is my first, and is truely loved.

So interesting to see a recent pic of Bowtie.

email [email protected]

thank you,

Janet

Put a neck sweat on him. Buy a good neck sweat gel (several out there). Put the gel on him, then wrap it with saran wrap or a garbage bag, and then put your sweat on him. Work him at a trot for half an hour and then let him stand in the sun for an hour or two. Do this everyday and you'll see results quick. It won't slim him down to where he should be, but will work wonders. I've never had belly sweats work. But this sweating method works on mine quick.

Well I dyed his mane and tail

any tips for getting dye off your hands

Looks better but can still see some highlights

Zoey he is going to the Garden state show Sat

Thanks everyone for the tips and compliments on our boy

He is such a sweetheart

Janet I will send you some pics this evening, so glad drummer boy has a loving home

I have some pics of him from when he was born would love to see updated

last year Bow sired 3 foals for us and 1 so far this year and waiting on 4 more

we are so happy with the foals he has produced.

Latest posts

Back