Clipped One of Ours Too :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyin G Farm

Reaction score
Here is a 3 month old colt that was born almost white (a little lighter silver color on his neck from what we could tell...and a few spots on his rear)...the weather has finally be warm enough to clip off the fuzz to see what we have under there...and this is what we found:

spinner45-24-08.jpg

Not a very flattering picture but it shows his color...

spinner35-24-08.jpg

Here are his parents:

Dam heavily in foal:

MiniWhinnyAcresSilverElayshun.jpg

Sire:

WestwindFarmsRollersBonsai.jpg

He has a few spots on his rear (hard to see in the pictures)...and then hopefully you can see the rest...so is he a snowcap...or a few spot....or ???

Tracy

hmm, IMO I'd say he's a spotted blanket like dad, but it's hard to tell if the spots you can see are just spotted skin or if they actually color the hair, if they don't come through on his hair then I'd say blanket or snowcap..

I think he is a lage blanketed appy. It looks like he has too many spots to be a sno cap. I also think he is palamino and that is why his spots are small. He is very nice! Congratulations!

Thanks:) I've had a few other people tell me snowcap from what they've seen.

Sheila...there is no possibility of palomino...he was freshly clipped so I think that's what you're seeing...there is no dilute in his background whatsoever
default_smile.png
He is a VERY light silver where he actually has color.

Thanks again everyone for your help...these appy patterns just throw me for a loop!
default_wacko.png

Tracy

Your colt(who is lovely btw) is a silver blanketed . Too many spots for snowcap and a fewspot is a homozygous form of leopard. Nice large blanket on him...Too cute.

I agree with Shelia- quite a few spots showing there to classify as a snowcap.

He's gorgeous! In my opinion, he is exhibiting both the few spot AND snow cap patterns! He should be a truely wonderful color producer!!
default_aktion033.gif

Geez...these appy patterns are so confusing to me
default_wacko.png

Here are some pictures of him prior to him being clipped:

spinner13-30-08.jpg

colt23-22-08.jpg

And this one is of the day he was born (the other 2 he was a couple of weeks old)...I know it's a goofy picture but you can see his "color" better than in most of the other pictures I have of him...we had to search for spots on his rear...but at first glance he just looked entirely white except for a hint of very light silver on his neck/head...but that stopped of course just past his shoulders.

colt73-8-08.jpg

Tracy

Looking at his baby pictures and seeing no spots showing through I'd say snowcap, and being by two appaloosa parents he's a true snowcap and should be an excellent color producer if left a stallion
default_smile.png
Love his momma, oh to look at her in the pasture everyday!
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back