Clipped bay advice.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayley~Diaz

Reaction score
I have a bay pinto stallion. When he has his winter or full coat he is a beautiful dark, rich bay. When I clip him, he turns into a bright, red bay. I really love his dark bay colour. Any advice? I feed him 'colour' enriching supplements during his conditioing/show season, but that beautiful dark bay doesn't come out!! I would love any advice, but remember I live in New Zealand, so the climate here is a lot different to the USA.

I was told that 'heating' bays doesn't work, so I've never actaully tried it...perhaps by heating him in this case he would go darker? I can't really show any pics because it's basically winter here and he has his winter wolleys on.

I would imagine that the richer colour is caused by his winter undercoat therefore I doubt you will be able to "create" that colour during summer.

I think that blood bay is your horse's natural summer color. Short of using hair coloring, I doubt you're going to change it. You simply need to enjoy what you have when you have it. My gelding, Mingus (in my avatar), is a blood bay, and his winter coat is, like with your horse, a rich, dark mahogany. It's pretty, but I much prefer his stunning summer color.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I thought that would be the case. I prefer my bays richer dark bay. It goes nice with his black points and white markings (and blue eye).

I usually clip min three weeks before a show, and limit their time out in the sun to two or three hours. The color will come back it just takes patience.

Latest posts

Back