Clip or shed in Texas?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockysticksfeatherfarm

Reaction score
I am just wondering (and trying not to ask a dumb question!) is it better to clip or let your horse shed out in Texas? We are having a really warm winter most days are staying in the 70-80s. We are not showing our little guy and haven't even thought about investing in a clipper. To my understanding them shedding starts when longer days start? I am just worried about him being uncomfortable when it starts to heat up. Most summers are in the 100s and no telling when summer will start! If its better to clip, I will need to seek out help since I have never clipped a horse. It won't have to be perfect of course like for show but just worried about him getting to warm.

For us, it depends on the horse! Our broodmares and non-show horses shed out slick and fine. The babies all get clipped. show horses, naturally, get clipped. If a non show horse looks ragged or too furry, they'll get clipped.

Right now I have one mare who is already shedding! I keep telling her we still have plenty of Winter left, just hang on a bit longer!

I am in SW OK. I clip mine around the end of March. Sometimes there are cool days/nights after that but I just throw a blanket over them. Better to clip than wait for shedding, imo.

The Andis 2 speed is a good clipper for casual clipping. I use a size 10 blade. Just get in there and start zipping! It won't hurt a thing. There are good tips on clipper care you might want to research. Owner's manuals don't always give you the facts of life.

I like to get that heavy hair off and make sure there aren't any fungus spots or other trouble areas. And they seem much happier getting rid of the hair.

I clip mine too, march most likely and then blanket if we get cooler nights still. It's been crazy hot for January! But there's no telling what February will look like... 2 years ago all my palm trees froze to death and we had snow last year didn't we? So I'll wait until march. I have been clipping my cocker (cocker cut) for years so clipping her wasn't much different. She almost falls asleep when I clip her face and the rest doesnt bother her at all either.

I hate clipping but I find in my miniatures, its a necessary evil. I always say that the ones that shed out nicely and have a tight hair coat do not need to be clipped. I have two like that who can go without a body shave. I watch them all as they start to shed out and if they begin to itch and body slam themselves into the fence scratching I can't stand it so out comes the clippers to help it along. With hot temps like 100 degrees, you betcha I'd be clipping if the hair coat wasn't super short. I also do it usually with a #10 for just around the home so they still have some hair on them to protect from sun rays.

Yep I also clip but not quite yet. I do have one mare who gets a very thick coat and get hot and sweaty and then cold at night so I may just clip her head and neck pretty soon but the other 27 will be waiting until about March or so.

Just noticed earlier that my mini is already starting to shed! Thanks to the recent crazy weather I guess...

One of the best self grooming tools I have found is a shop broom attached to a pole.It helps with itchs and shedding.

It would be great for (clean) dogs...

I've weighed the same decision and think a heavier duty one will be justified for horses. That, and, I don't want to be the reason my wife's clippers are hosed right before a dog show.
default_giveup.gif

My predeliction is to search for Wahl or Andis 2-speed 120v (220v in the UK I would guess) clippers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in San Antonio, TX and clearly understand the weather issue. However, it's still pretty cool here in the evenings. Therefore, I'd only do a head/neck to help cool your horse down during the warm days.

Yes, I clip a lot before the heat of summer. At least head & neck, bellies. They just get so hot here with a full haircoat, I worry especially about babies overheating.

Jan

I use the Kim laube speed feed. It's actually a dog trimmer but it's great, you can adjust the blade from 9-40 without attachments and it comes with all attachments and is cordless, you get 2 sets of batteries so it doesn't run out on you. It's pretty powerful, not very loud and allows for a precise cut. I have a long haired curly cocker that I've been doing the cocker cut on for years. I just now had to get a new blade for it, after 3 years of use. I've used it on my mini 3 times and she actually enjoys it so much she almost falls asleep when I clip her face. I tried another clipper (wahl) and hated it.

It is exceptionally hot in Texas right now. It will get cold again - for days. I would suggest clipping your horses in Texas as they do not fully shed out until about June as a rule and clipping in March as suggested is a good time to do it, later part of March. But for now I would only clip their muzzles, under their jaw, under their neck to their shoulders. This will help cool them a lot but still leave plenty of hair for this next cold front we are getting.

Do not know how many horses you have, but do recommend getting double k clippers as they last and last. I've had mine for over 15 years. The do occassionally need servicing, but they are worth every dime of the initial cost. Resell is good for well kept ones too.

Good luck....

It is exceptionally hot in Texas right now. It will get cold again - for days. I would suggest clipping your horses in Texas as they do not fully shed out until about June as a rule and clipping in March as suggested is a good time to do it, later part of March. But for now I would only clip their muzzles, under their jaw, under their neck to their shoulders. This will help cool them a lot but still leave plenty of hair for this next cold front we are getting.

Do not know how many horses you have, but do recommend getting double k clippers as they last and last. I've had mine for over 15 years. The do occassionally need servicing, but they are worth every dime of the initial cost. Resell is good for well kept ones too.

Good luck....
It IS hot, up to 80 here today, mine are shedding like crazy already, I clipped the neck of mine (not very short but took most of the thickness off) two days ago, crazy weather right now and the flies are already coming out...
default_sad.png

Yes and bees, poor little bees, they are confused and there isn't any flowers :/ they always swarm my chicken feed looking for protein. Thanks for the clipper suggestions I am on the hunt now I made a separate post (I hope that ok!) I only have one horse. I don't want to spend a lot and also don't want to waste money. I wish I just knew someone with good clippers they would let me borrow!

I know right! I've had bees chasing me on my patio for weeks already. My roses are just as confused and growing new leaves before I had a chance to trim them down. Everything seems to be out of whack this year, I just hope the snakes stay away for a while! My great Dane was bit in fall and I don't need a repeat... I got lucky with the speed feed clippers, they normally run around 150 and I caught them on sale for 35.

It's warm enough for the snakes here along the gulf coast, I almost stepped on one after feeding my guys yesterday afternoon. I was tripping over 12 dogs and 6 cats and there sat the snake on the path to the barn....

When ya'll talk about doing the neck are you talking about like a minimal trace clip? or are you doing the whole neck? I think after this next front finishes moving through I'll need to start seriously thinking about clipping my guys. My poor boys were sweating in Dec and early Jan and it really didn't get much colder since, a few days here and there. We haven't even had a freeze this year, few frosts on ground but not enough to kill the mosquitoes...look out for summer :/ I may try to wait til mid March but if they get too sweaty I'm gonna break down and do it, even if I have to throw blankets on them a few days.

Latest posts

Back