Cleaning a Harness...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the brass I use the cloth/cotton stuff in a can[snip]
For those of you not in the know that stuff is called NEVR-DULL. How did I ever live without you NEVR-DULL!?
default_biggrin.png
Fantastic stuff, I can't recommend it enough.
Yup! That's the stuff whose name escaped me at the time I replied
default_biggrin.png
Thank you Annabellarose! A can of it lasts for ages and it doesn't leave any white crap on your leather that can't be seen till it dries like some of those other polishes.

26 years ago when I bought my first harness a friend of mine who is a harness maker advised me that once a year conditioning was plenty for a harness that was being used and looked after, cleaned regularly with plain soap (recommended Fiebings) and water, suggested Harness Honey was the best thing to use and then once it is dry dress it with black leather polish. He advised me that One Step conditioners did more harm than good for leather although they do make it feel nice at the time, said it would rot them out quicker than anything. I still have that harness and it is still perfectly serviceable - minor signs of wear but the leather is VERY healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
26 years ago when I bought my first harness...I still have that harness and it is still perfectly serviceable - minor signs of wear but the leather is VERY healthy.
That is a GREAT endorsement for why people should buy a good leather harness from the beginning and take care of it. If you figure the cost of the harness over the course of 26+ years, it is pretty cheap! More so than a cheap harness that you have to replace every couple of years! Our Smucker's was about 5 yrs. old when we bought it in 2002. It is the only harness we have for that size horse, so we practice and show in it, and it has done very well in Turnout at every show.

Latest posts

Back