Classic K Miniatures~ ring test results...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry Finn has been having so much trouble. I would recommend doing some clipping to help relieve the sweats. Remember though, that when fevers break, they do sweat a bit. But, if it's warm and the horses are in heavy coats, I do a cooling clip of their heads, neck and chests which seems to keep them from sweating.

I'll be praying for success with the oral antibiotics. I don't know what's available over there, but any supplement with oxidants and vitamins/minerals would seem like a good source to help him gain strength.

And Chanda, no one here would ever make a stink about anything you have to offer. We are all friends here trying to just help each other for what has worked for us. We love you!

Praying for Finn and you Cassie!!
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Thanks everyone
default_smile.png
it's gone back to winter weather again tonight lol but I think I will clip his neck etc because his coat is like goose down lol so thick and warm

Please do pray have him his first oral med tonight see how he is in the morning if he has gotten worse by Monday I have to ring the vets and put him back in penicillin so really do want that praying that he keeps improving
default_smile.png
yes Diane I have been using rise hip granules which are apparently a good immune booster and a few essential oils that are apparently good for the immune system too chanda was helping me with finding some more supplements etc that might help and I had read the pros and cons of garlic... What do you ladies think of giving garlic to horses? Never done it seems like an awesome immune booster but from what I hear there can be some pretty bad side affects... :/ really want Finn to get better and I would like to eventually find a good supplement that I can keep him on 24/7 that will help with his immune system so he isn't as sick all the time
default_sad.png
(

Did you all like the pics of my two sleeping munchkins? So cute! ❤

The oral meds he is on is called sulfa B ill find out what's in it in the morning for you Diane
default_smile.png

Oh Cassie, Im sorry to you had to poke poor lil Finn...if only they knew you are only trying to help. Its so hard to see them not feeling well. I do hope the oral meds kick in some and help him along. He looks so tiny and cuddly in his stall...but looks thrilled to be able to charge when he gets to go outside. Hes really a lot smaller than Cam. Spirulina, that Chandra mentioned is what I am going to start a couple of my horses on. I couldn't find it and a store ordered it for me. Actually should be in today.

My niece is Molly Larson on FB I will message her and tell her to accept you...I'd love for her to be able to meet you even if its thru FB only. She reminds me of you, she's talented, her love for animals and just a sweet person....but like me...she's not good at pics and isn't too computer savy!!! She did post a couple pics on her site from Australia so you might recognize the location. Im not sure how to transfer them to here, Sorry Anna.

Well Ive got to go put on my boots and go do the barn..if I don't drown in my many lakes that we now have to live with!! The rain has been a constant party pooper for sure around here and it makes every chore a whole lot harder.

I hope little Finn is feeling much much better the next time we hear from you but don't you go getting sick trying to nurse him back to goodness too!! We will not have 2 sick in Australia!!

Oh Cassie, I'm so sorry to hear that poor little Finn has been so ill! - will be praying that the oral meds suit him and work for him.

I just love those pics of him and Suzie snoozing in their stable - so very cute, bless them both.

Sending ((((HUGS)))) for little Finn - and for you too. Take care of yourself.
default_yes.gif

Hi Cassie, I am so sorry to here Finn is still poorly
default_sad.png
you mentioned garlic and I just wanted to say what I know. I often give it to my horses during the summer to help with the flies, it can make them anemic if given for long periods and you need to be careful if feeding it with electrolits but it is ok for short periods. I fed it dry or in capsules 3/4 times a week for about 3 months with no problems what so ever. The show jumpers received blood tests weekly so I know it wasn't a problem.

You mentioned he was on bute which I would worry more about, try and suggest something else to your vet as it isn't safe for minis

I am praying for our little boy

Me too, Renee. I use banamine for pain relief and most other things. Bute, although used for big horses many times, can be quite harmful if they get too much and sometimes the dosage is difficult to determine properly with these little ones. I have used Bute for injuries when the vet said it was a better drug than the Banamine for the situation, but used it as sparingly and for as short a time as she deemed necessary. Then we went back to Banamine.

Praying he has good success with the oral anitbiotics today. Keep us posted! Still praying!
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Hoping to hear some good news Cassie when you have a moment.
default_yes.gif

Hey girls sorry, Thank you for the information and caring thoughts, Finn is plodding along. Thanks for the bute advice also, I don't like using it and we only used it when he was spiking the horrible temps, from now on though I will ask if we can use finnadyne (which is our equivilant (sp) of bannamine) only issue is that it doesn't come in an oral paste
default_sad.png
(not a big issue I know)

Finn has been doing quite well on the oral meds thank goodness!! his breathing was a little more raspy this morning but it was FREEZING last night so I think it would be due to that... I will see how he is tonight I need to get some more little rugs for him as the girls rugs don't fit him LOL he takes a 3'0 rug LOL baby man! looks like it will be a nice day today so being out in the big paddock with fresh air and excercise will do him good I'm sure
default_smile.png
Vet asked me to ring him today to give him a report on how he is doing on the new meds so I'm hoping he will be happy with my report
default_smile.png
otherwise all is well, Smartie is picking weight back up after dropping alot at the beginning of winter
default_sad.png
Penny is fat as! and Suzie is doing really well also
default_smile.png

Hey girls sorry, Thank you for the information and caring thoughts, Finn is plodding along. Thanks for the bute advice also, I don't like using it and we only used it when he was spiking the horrible temps, from now on though I will ask if we can use finnadyne (which is our equivilant (sp) of bannamine) only issue is that it doesn't come in an oral paste
default_sad.png
(not a big issue I know)

Finn has been doing quite well on the oral meds thank goodness!! his breathing was a little more raspy this morning but it was FREEZING last night so I think it would be due to that... I will see how he is tonight I need to get some more little rugs for him as the girls rugs don't fit him LOL he takes a 3'0 rug LOL baby man! looks like it will be a nice day today so being out in the big paddock with fresh air and excercise will do him good I'm sure
default_smile.png
Vet asked me to ring him today to give him a report on how he is doing on the new meds so I'm hoping he will be happy with my report
default_smile.png
otherwise all is well, Smartie is picking weight back up after dropping alot at the beginning of winter
default_sad.png
Penny is fat as! and Suzie is doing really well also
default_smile.png
We can get banamine in an oral paste, but many use the liquid injectable orally. [Just draw up the dose, take the needle off the syringe and squirt it in their mouth. Tastes like crap, so he won't like it much.]

Glad to hear that little Finn seems to be improving (Smartie too)
default_thumbup.gif

Cassie, we have Finnadyne here in the UK too, but we can get it in paste form as well as the injectable. Are you sure you cant get the paste stuff from somewhere?

Hope the improvement continues.
default_yes.gif

((((HUGS))))

I've always used the injectible Banamine. As Chanda said, draw it up in the syringe, take off the needle and squirt in his mouth. It starts acting VERY quickly because of the mucous membranes in the mouth.

It tastes awful -- but who cares if it works!!

Keep us posted!
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Thanks everyone
default_smile.png

Last dose of antibiotics this morning unless the vet wants me to do another course but hoping he won't left a MSG with him just before... Finn is so much better and his coat looks amazing!! I have been giving him rose hip granules giving I them to smartie also and both their coats look great! Ill have to try take some pics to show you all
default_smile.png
my friend suggested I start Finn on a blend of apple cidar vinegar and garlic going to do a bit of research on that one today and maybe grab some
default_smile.png

So how is our "little" Finn doing Cassie. You know some of us Aunties don't "do" Facebook, so we depend on news here!

Hope he's doing fine and is over his illness.

How are the ladies doing? Are they getting ready for their adventures??

Finn is all better!!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
:SoHappy

Vet called in last monday and confirmed that he was very happy with how Finn had improved no raspiness in his breathing and his breath rate had come down to a normal level so no more antibiotics YAY been a week now without them and Finn is going great guns! hehe.

I have all of them on rose hip granules and apple cider and garlic and all their coats are looking lovely and Finn is so healthy and happy I'm going to keep going with both as I'm loving the results
default_smile.png

Rode Smartie yesterday for the first time in probably 6 months
default_smile.png
so good to be riding again! Rebekah my friend came and gave me a lesson, he acted up a little for the first bit just chucking his head in the air and backing up but thats the worst he did and after working on aids and flexing he was going quite nicely by the end of our lesson
default_smile.png
Rebekah got a short video I'll have to see if I can get it off her and show you guys my riding is quite rusty so please forgive us for that but it was so much fun!

we are having the warmest july/august in quite some time here in Sydney every day is averaging 20 degrees and apparantley this sunday is meant to be 25!! worried that we are going to have a hot dry summer... Dad and I have been working with the cattle quite alot and have a plan of action of what we would like to do. we sold 20 head about 2 months ago and I'm hoping we will be able to take another 20 next week, want to cut right back (we had over 100 head!!) get the paddocks looking really good and look at a larger frame of cattle, I'm really excited! but my uncle is making it difficult which makes it hard for Dad and I to do what we want to with the herd.

Penny and Suzie are doing great! Suzie is looking so well I reckon I could take her to a show tomorrow she is looking so well
default_smile.png

Penny is still a little fat but looking better, and yes trying to get ready for their adventures
default_smile.png
I have been struggling to get a stallion service contract off the owner of Banner (Penny) and I'm trying to work out how I'll get her up there and back (have been secretly looking at floats to buy but I don't know if I will buy one) lol.

The owner of Suzie's stallion is moving at the end of this year
default_sad.png
to Queensland so I will definitley put her in foal as I really want a foal by him there is a good chance he will also be gelded.

otherwise all is well mum and Dad are deserting us again at the end of this month to go to Fiji for a week for their 25th Wedding anniversary and my Grandma's 90th birthday is coming up this month which is very exciting.

was bridesmaid for a friend 2 weeks ago the wedding was beautiful! I'm being bridesmaid for another friend in December so planning the kitchen tea etc for her and getting very excited!

hope you are all well and everyones fur kids are going well
default_smile.png

here are some piccies of everyone for you all
default_smile.png

Kingston having a play in the garage. love my old man!

018.JPG

Casper and Jonny on the quad bike hehe

006.JPG

Blinky Bill

031.JPG 119.JPG (he was helping me make my bed lol)

Penny

168.JPG

my Smartie man

205.JPG (still needs a bit more weight but I don't know if he will ever put much more weight on as he is 24 yrs old)

some more of Blinky Bill, he is such a funny little bird. he can say Hello, Blinky bill, blinky, Casper, and he has started to laugh whenver we laugh its so funny!

164.JPG (he was sleeping in my scarf so cute!)

240.JPG

we had a rogue steer wandering the streets of Ebenezer (strange I know) don't know where he came from but he jumped into our paddocks and met my Penny lol

200.JPG

Finnley looking much better though still fat lol

207.JPG

the sky a few evenings ago
default_smile.png

227.JPG

254.JPG

I don't have any horse wide load pics as I don't have any babies due this year, but I thought I would show you a very wide load moo cow
default_smile.png

278.JPG

click on the pictures to make them bigger
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh thank you for the update Cassie - we have missed you! Great to hear that Finn is all better at last - love the pic of his cuteness! Hope you can continue to work/ride Smartie now that you have started again, would love to see that video if possible.

Penny is looking great, hope things work out ok for both her and Suz and their respective stallions (just one thing, you need to lower Penny's manger, the angle of her neck is too high for comfort - actually did you know that to 'grind' any food properly and to 'wear down' their back molars evenly, horses need to eat from as near ground level as possible!??)

Loved all your pics - Blinky Bill is just so cute and give that lovely Kingston a hugs from me, little Casper too! Hope all your plans for the cattle work out for you and your Dad and that your parents have a fab Anniversary trip to Figi, as for your gran reaching 90, wow what a great age!

Keep the news and the picture coming - we love hearing about your life and your beautiful furkids as you well know!
default_yes.gif

Thanks Anna
default_smile.png
guilty that was smarties feed bin hehe she stopped to sneak a bit on her way through his paddock to another lol

The minis all eat off feed bowls on the ground
default_smile.png

Thanks again

Hope you are well
default_smile.png

Back