Classic, Foundation or?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah's Little Blessings

Reaction score
Ok, I am new as all of you know to the world of shetlands! I have a question. Do you all think my boy Guardian is a Classic or??? He does have B's once you get back to like the 4th or 5th generations,then starting at the 4th some have no letters, and a little futher back he has some hackneys. So what is he?

default_wacko.png
I am just lost with all of these shetland types, so hopeing to get fully cleared up.

Thanks for the help
default_saludando.gif
-Sarah

In early 2008 the A and B was put by the wayside so to speak. It does not matter except you still cannot show a pony as foundation unless you have the foundation seal.

We now show ponies by type rather than by paper. So it truly is how your pony looks and moves. So we would need pics of him standing and then one of him trotting without being coerced.

Thanks!

Ok, here are a couple pictures I have of him, haven't taken one of him being at a trot. He doesn't pick his feet up like a hackney though.
59_925374-R1-04-32A_005.jpg

then here is a side shot.
59_059.jpg

Hope these two help some. I was just totally confused about what is what.
default_wacko.png

Thanks!!!

Oh he is only a yearling too.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first thought was "classic" as he looks somewhat fine boned and necky but the photos are not the best to judge off. I think i would rule out foundation, but if you had a photo of him standing tied or something...

My initial opinion is Classic, however........with some weight and conditioning I might change my mind.

I agree with TXminipinto... he looks quite underweight so he may appear more "refined" than he actually is... and could be "Foundation" once he was in proper weight to present in the show ring. Yearling shetlands are VERY hard to keep weight on, you may find the shetlands to be harder keepers than the minis.

Andrea

If there is a B in the 4th generation though he would not be eligible to be Foundation certified.

Hey! Thanks everyone! Yes. I for sure have learned about the weight thing, I have FINNALLY got him to wear he is sticking to that weight, and then gaining a little bit more every week. I knew they ate alot, but boy wasn't sure this much. I really don't think you can overfeed a shetland like you can a mini!!! Right now I'm giving him all the hay he can eat(to the point he is leaving it on the ground) and then around 8lbs of grain per day, plus he has a salt block, and some weight gain supplements added to his feedings. Hopefully he'll pick up soon.

So basically a classic huh?

Yep, basically a Classic
default_smile.png
I think you will have a LOT of fun with him! He looks like he's enjoying his little "herd" there
default_smile.png

Andrea

Yep, basically a Classic
default_smile.png
I think you will have a LOT of fun with him! He looks like he's enjoying his little "herd" there
default_smile.png
Andrea

Yeah! I can't wait to show him!!!

And yes he does enjoy them! I watch to make sure he doesn't get to rough(when he's out of his stall playing)on the weanlings, to me he is their "age". Do you all find that shetlands mature slower then minis, or is that just him?

I really don't think you can overfeed a shetland like you can a mini!!! Right now I'm giving him all the hay he can eat(to the point he is leaving it on the ground) and then around 8lbs of grain per day, plus he has a salt block, and some weight gain supplements added to his feedings. Hopefully he'll pick up soon.
You might want to look into an additional fat source for him like a little rice bran oil. I don't know what kind of grain he's getting or how much the manufacturer recommends that you feed, but you can founder even a thin pony by over feeding starches. And when he does get weight on him, you'll find that you most definitely can overfeed a shetland like a mini, especially geldings :)

Looks like he is going to be a very flashy little guy- love his color!. Post some more photos later on to show his progress

What grain are you feeding him? Yes your feeding 8lb of grain but what quality of grain is it? There are some grains that have nearly nothing even close to nutrition in them if you look at the feed tag. I would recomend a 14 -16 % protein, a higher fat level, high fiber level and then add in some calories. I really like Omlene 200/300 and Strategy ...both are higher protein and higher in fat. I also feed Rice Bran Oil which is 95-99% fat depending on what brand you feed. I feed omlene/strategy (depends on the horse which they get..) AM/PM with beet pulp and then Buckeye Gro N Win (32% ration ballancer) with steamed rolled cleaned oats for lunch. I am just finially getting my feeding program where i like it, so yes it does take a while
default_smile.png

He needs weight but i think he will look nice once he has bloomed
default_smile.png

He is actually get the Platform feed. I know people have varied results in this feed, but so far its working on everyone I have fed it too. I know he is picking up some little by little so can't wait to see him fully bloomed out. :) I'll keep you all posted with pictures and stuff.

Oh, yeah and he had a test run on him, NO WORMS, so he should really be picking it up now..

Oh yeah ment to add to he is getting a small "cup" (the one that comes with it) of weight builder, and some Energy supplement. So between all that I'm hoping we'll have him filled out in a couple of weeks/month......

I never had to good of results on the mini feed with the hard keepers, they just never seem to keep good weight. On my harder keepers I like to give Omelane 200, plus if necessary the Platform Weight Gain supplement and all they grass hay they can eat. It takes a while to see some results but you will know when you see it its working. I used it on older minis and my yearling shetland.

IMO Platform does NOT have enough calories in it. You'd be better off feeding him something else.

And probably saving yourself some $$ too.

Ok, thanks you guys!! I'm for sure going to swap him(slowly so it doesn't upset his stomach) to something different. This may be a dumb question but who makes Omelene? I've asked three different feed stores today if they carry and they said they didn't. Thanks again-Sarah

Latest posts

Back