Classic, Foundation or?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Purina does, and its a pretty common feed. They have 3 different kinds.

Omelane 300 (Mare & Foal feed, 16% protien)

Omelane 200 (Performance feed, 14% protien, recommend)

Omelane 100 (For the pleasure horse, 12 or 10% protien)

I have tried all 3, didn't care so much for the 100 for my easy keepers, they still stayed fat, they are on the mini feed. My foals are on the 300, the junior horses and the harder keepers are on the 200.

I feed purina omlene 200 to all of the horses exept a few that are on Purina Strategy which i also like...i like the Omlene line products
default_smile.png

I would stay away from Omelene at this point. As a sweet feed, you run a greater chance of founder. My advice would be to try Purina Stragedy, Nutrena SafeChoice, or Allco(? I think) Safe N Sound. These feeds are formulated to feed a higher quanity safer than a sweet feed. I noticed you put him on weight builder as well. I use a product from Smart Pak called CoolCalories (you might be able to find it elsewhere) that is a 99% fat supplement. I haven't been able to find another supplement that matches it. I have amazing results with it and it puts that extra finish on ponies safely and quickly. And I have found that my previous hard keepers turned into easy keepers (meaning, I can cut back the grain) after they've reached their optimum weight.

Remember, look at protein and fat when trying to put weight on a hard keeper.

Currently, my horses are getting a 12% protein/6% fat pellet with beet pulp, alfalfa, and some are getting Cool Calories. Here is the quantity in pounds by age and sex:

5 month filly: 2lbs grain + CC

4 month colt: 1.5lbs grain + CC

6 month colt: 1.5lbs grain

3 yr old stud: 2lbs grain + CC

2 yr old stud: 1.5lbs grain + CC

2 yr old geldings: 1.5lbs grain

And these values go up or down depending on their growth and activity levels.

Latest posts

Back