Class help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Okay i am fairly new to showing and am going to get into it within the next couple month but i dont know what all the stuff is. Im attending my first show to watch Aug 5-7 in springfield.

What is/what do you do in .....

LIBERTY?

HALTER?

those are the only two im interested in really. thanks. Im not sure which one im most interested in. I sort of know what halter is ..but liberty im lost at.

Liberty is fun...... you turn the horse loose in the arena to music for 90 seconds, they prance around and show off and then you have 2 minutes to catch them. You're judged from the moment the halter is off until the horse has been caught and you leave the ring.

You may have one helper come with you. You may carry shaker cans or whips to encourage the horse to work, but no edible treats. Only the person wearing the number may touch the horse, and only after the music has stopped. But your helper can help you "herd" the horse around.

You'll be disqualified if the horse falls at any point, the horse can't be caught in 2 minutes, you get outside ring assistance at any point, you or your helper use edible treats to entice the horse, your helper touches the horse in any way or you touch the horse while it's performing.

To do well in liberty a horse has to be fairly enthusiastic about it all- bounce around, trot and canter (not just tear around in gallop circles), plume their tail and in general they're having a good time playing in the big ring. You should be able to catch the horse easily too.

Last edited by a moderator:
So its not that hard to train them really? Just need to get them running and trotting and to canter to really loud good music? That sounds easy and fun.

So you can carry cans and chake them.

Last question ....do you have to remove the halter ..or just unclip the leash from the halter?

..okay one more ...are they aloud to kick or is that usually frowned on?

lol thanks Littleum

Yes, in Liberty you remove their ENTIRE halter. The training tips part of my website has some class overviews as well as tips and such.

Latest posts

Back