Cinnamon is fitting in well

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Rule

Reaction score
unsure.gif

Cinnamon is fitting in well here. She's been here for a couple or three weeks. She has made friends...and we've learned which mare she should NOT be put in with...the mare backs Cinnamon into a corner and just kicks the you-know-what out of her!!
new_shocked.gif

Here's my questions...Cinnamon is all of a sudden putting on weight. She's been getting the same as what she got at her old home...she's getting about half a flake of timothy hay twice a day. She gets no grain. She has been wormed, also. Her tummy is getting big though. Here are a couple of pictures of her...

This is a picture of Cinnamon with her buddy YaYa...it was taken a week ago...maybe 2 weeks ago.

CinnamonandYaYa.jpg

This is Cinnamon today, Monday, April 16th.

Gotcarrots.jpg

What do you think...am I imagining this, or is it for real...I have an e-mail out to her previous owner to see if she could possibly have been bred...

Now, for my other question...do I dare feed her beet pulp with the other horses? Usually I feed beet pulp, plain oats, a little bit of black oil sunflower seeds, and some flax. Do I dare feed her such a thing??

Kim R.

She is a cutie .....I wouldn't worry about the beet pulp oats and sunflower she should do fine on that combo .....my experience with donks is when they get FAT they get cresty on the neck and get "back" fat (for lack of a better description) they don't tend to just get a hay belly unless they are wormy or thin.........remember to use ivermectin on everyone regularly to avoid your horses getting lung worms
wink.gif

She is a doll can't wait to see her in person
smile.gif

Well about the weight deal It looks to me she is cleaning up all the unused hay that your mini horse is not eating and really getting IMO getting too much hay...Just by the looks of the picture anyway..Your horse is all through and what is left just to me looks like plenty plenty hay left over for the donk to be eating...I gave my donkey 1/2 flake of hay and he still put on wt.. Donkeys are much much better keepers then even the easiest mini horse.. But what a cutie....I hope in a year or so if my medicine does as what is says and I can have at least 5 good years of not much pain because of my RA then I will get another one donkey and or mini horse...And now after a year of getting on some very strong meds my RA is Just now getting where I can be outside and work some. It has been a very Long year......

shminifancier, glad to hear the meds are working....I can assure you that YaYa is still eating. She's laid down on her hay and eaten since she was a little tiny baby!!! it's just the goofiest thing! YaYa actually chases Cinnamon away from the hay, and sometimes we have to intervene so that she gets some food.

and runamuk, you'll have to find an excuse to come over and do motorcycle ears with her!!! Your son would really adore her...she is SO cute!!! she doesn't have back fat. You can still feel her back bone, just as you can with other donkeys. Her neck isn't cresty, it feels good and solid, if not a bit thick. I still haven't heard from the lady we bought her from. I wonder if he stallion wasn't as intimidated as she thought....I'll include a picture I just took of her...it shows her belly the best...

I'm sorry these pics are so big, I guess I don't know how to resize them!!!

DSCF0052.jpg

Kim R

WOW i dont know much about donkeys but from that picture the last one you posted and how lopsided her belly is well if she were a horse i would highly suspect she was pregnant

Kim, she is looking good. Ella looks just like her mother!!

I was told when I picked up her filly, that they had her in with their mini stallion, but they did not think she took. They wanted a Hinny. Anyway, there might be a chance she is in foal. In fact, she looks like she is in foal to me!

So Shari, when did you pick up your little donk?? I need to have an idea as to when she was in with the stallion, so that I know when she might have been bred.

We got things to do...if we have to get ready for a baby!!!
aktion033.gif
new_shocked.gif

Kim R

I Picked Ella up Dec. 19th. But I honestly do not remember the dates her mother was in with the mini stallion.

If you end up with a Hinny, please let me know,, and I will want pictures of course!!

Wow Kim that looks like a preggo donk to me
new_shocked.gif
better start asking about donkey gestation etc...if I recall they have some differences in length of gestation than horses
unsure.gif
also where are you getting timothy since it is darn near impossible to grow here (orchard is everywhere but no timothy) I would love to find a supplier.......I have some great orchard/grass/alfalfa hay close by but always on the lookout for other "good" hay.

So......are you going to teach her to drive?
biggrin.gif

Great...I heard from Susan, the lady we bought her from. She thinks I'm feeding too much. But she didn't give me the breeding dates...she just said he was a finicky breeder!!

Runamuk, I think she's preggo too...but Kris is saying she's not...should we place bets ???
yes.gif
I already know that donkey gestation is 12 months...

Last edited by a moderator:
Great...I heard from Susan, the lady we bought her from. She thinks I'm feeding too much. But she didn't give me the breeding dates...she just said he was a finicky breeder!!

Runamuk, I think she's preggo too...but Kris is saying she's not...should we place bets ???

I'll get a hinny if I win!!!
aktion033.gif

yes.gif
I'll cut back her food, but I think I'll get a foaling kit together...you know, just in case!!! By the way, what do I need???

Oh, and I might teach her to drive...I think it would be fun to drive a donkey!!!

Kim R

Hey Kim!

I think you got a moma on your hands there.
biggrin.gif
Your donkey looks just as fat and the same shape as my donkey that is due to foal anytime..hahahahhaa.

Congrads!

Tammi

Hi Kim, On the picture that shows "her belly the best" --YUP, my bets would be that she is bred. Donkey gestation is 13 months (standard, but I do know of minis who have carried this long too) mine usually are at the 12 1/2 month mark, when they are bred for a hinny. IS your donk wormed regularly? Donkeys get lung worms which are not common in horses, and the only type of wormer I know of that kills off lung worms is a Ivermectin based wormer (do think panacure works also, but would have to check) Donks are super easy keepers, mine do have access to all the hay they want, but just quit fro awhile then go back, and so forth. I have never had any problems wioth that, but I am very careful as to the amount of grain/beet pulp they get...since if they do get overfed they will develope a crest. In my foaling kit (its the same one that I have for the mini horses) I have Thermometer, towels (lots of them!) , Iodine, Nolvasan, rubber gloves, lub gel, Ivermectin wormer, scissors, banamine, vet wrap, foal blanket, baby bottle, childs enema, and my book "Blessed are the Brood Mares". Sam, glad to hear your meds are helping.. hope to see you sometime. Corinne

Back