Christmas driving photos, please :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkipsMom

Reaction score
Lawrence, Kansas host an annual "Old Fashioned Christmas Parade" in which only horse drawn vehicles are allowed. The only stipulation is that you must look "old fashioned". I have a wooden pleasure cart and purchased some bells to use. The bells were already driving me bonkers walking from the back of Target to the check out counter tonight!!!
rolleyes.gif

Proofing "Chubby Sam" on the bells begins first thing tomorrow. When you hear "old fashioned" what comes to mind?? I need to outfit myself in something festive yet not too restrictive. We are taking our youngest mini, the 2 1/2 year old, as a lead-along since Sam has never done a parade before and this gives us a nearly free set of hands beside the cart w/ kiddo helping. Sam was shown in AMHR halter classes as a yearling by his breeders and I did a driving class w/ him at an open show last year but that's all I know that he has done. Ideally we'll have Pippin in something to coordinate w/ Sam. So, you creative types would have me forever in debt if you could toss out some ideas! It can be old fashioned western or victorian, whatever.

When the gal in charge of the parade told me a few details I began to balk then she said this is actually a terrific first parade for horses to do because it's only horse drawn vehicles, no bands, no floats or Shriner units. Makes sense so I think I want to give it a go.

aktion033.gif
Yippi!! You go girl! Sam will be fine. Wish I could send you some photos, but really haven't been in many parades with the minis. Going to 1 tomorrow, and the next several Sat. Tom. is Veteran Day parade, but next Sat. is Christmas parade. When is your parade? Since the minis are SO hairy, I'm trying to 'hide' as much as possible. Maybe something under the harness? I'll send you some pictures of tom. parade. Some will be driving. Kiss Sam and Pippin for me!!

Pam

The parade is the first Sat in December so I've got just a smidge less than a month to get ready. Hair, ain't it awful!!!! I've got to trim the longest one's off the underside of their faces, just have too and tidy up their legs!!! The bank which sponsers the parade seems to really try to make it attractive for the entrants. They have a dinner the night before and many out of towner camp at the fairgrounds where everyone assembles Sat a.m. On Sat a.m. they have a pancake feed for the entrants then it's hitch up and drive down from the fairgrounds to the main drag for the parade which starts at 11:00.

I can do whimsical and fun outfits because kiddo was a Rodeo Queen and is going for another title in the spring. I'm AWESOME, almost dangerous, w/ rhinestones, a blazing hot iron and fabric glue!!!
aktion033.gif
It's the trying to kinda be "authentic" that has me going "gah!".

Your guys are doing terrific, just terrific! We made their shed/barn larger this summer so now they have oodles of covered space- when Chubby Sam feels like letting Pippin in. The other three are doing great too! Blackie/Dude is all grown up and his Mom bought another local mini last December so he has a room mate. Little Man and Little Lady remain the apple of Taylor's eye!!! Though, Little Lady is quite the dancer when she gets her vaccinations at the clinic!! Ditto Pippin. He's so funny and such a stinker!

Do share your photos when your done parading!

Leslie

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but they ARE Christmas driving pictures. Boy. 44 days left. I know I won't get another White Christmas down here, but I am so looking forward to it--so much to be thankful for.

Xmas%20ride%20for%20Pastor%20Steve.jpg

Xmas%20ride%20for%20Janet.jpg

My pastor in Iowa mentioned at the Christmas Eve service that he had asked Santa for a pony year after year....guess what he found on his front lawn Christmas morning!!

This wonderful mare now belongs to Margo C-T on the Forum. Best driving horse I never should have sold--except to her. Give Dusty a big hug for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes, that looks chilly!!!! How neat that you can still keep in touch w/ the new owner. I purchased my two from Horsefeather/Pam here on the board. The area in Arkansas where they live is beautiful and it was great bringing three of the coolest mini's to Kansas. (The third one was for a friend) Since then, a local family who purchased one of our full size horses has bought two minis from Pam. We dub ourselves "Horsefeathers North".
biggrin.gif

If you do a Google search, then click on Images, put in your search "Norman Rockwell Christmas Pictures" and boy you'll get lots of ideas of how to dress for a good old fashioned Christmas.

And just do a clip art search also, of "old fashioned carollers" and I think you'll get more ideas.

You can basically do a long cape with a hood, and just get some very inexpensive fur to baste around it. Or long coat with bonnet and scarf.

If you have a copy of the movie: White Christmas you may get some ideas from that from thier closing number. Also, Chevy Chase had a movie, not Christmas vacation, another one, but I can't think of the name of it, where all the people in the town had to dress like Norman Rockwell's characters so if you can figure out which on that is, you'll see some nice dress ideas or just watch Scrooge too.

I hope you post pictures when you figure it all out. I know you will all be wonderful.

For those jingle bells: get some spray glue and spray it inside of some of the bells so that they will still jingle, but not all of them.

Marty, you warm the Holiday spirit of my heart. Tell you what--meet me in Lawrence KS with Timmy; I'll bring my antique 4 wheel buggy and Sunny, we'll hook up with SkipsMom, and you can get us all decked out.

Hey Marty thanks for the ideas, fabulous!! It is going to be a rainy day here today so I can work on your plan!

Oh yes, a trio from LB would be a hoot for the parade!

Leslie

I live about 30 minutes from Lawrence and am planning on attending the parade this year. Unfortunately only as a spectator. But I have heard it is a neat parade and know that a few members of our Heartland Miniature horse club are going to participate. Wish everyone could come. Good Luck in the parade and I will watch for you! Sheila
smile.gif

aktion033.gif
I live near Topeka and will try to make it. My Sam and I are suppose to help Santa this year on the 5 and 17 Dec to raise money for Tarc(for mental retardation patients). He will be giving rides and posing as Santa favorite reindeer for pictures. Maybe I can get some DRESSING idea!! Good Luck!

saludando.gif
Hello fellow Kansans!!!!
saludando.gif

I didn't realize there were so many out there!LOL
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back