Christmas and economy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you spend this christmas

• Same than last year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Less than last year

• More than last year

• Wished I could spend..

• Total voters
Not sure if less or more
default_wacko.png

My one daughter and her husband that just had Olivia, hope to be exchanging gifts.

We decided to buy just for the children this year since our four grown children all have children themselves, we have 5 grand children and another on the way. (March 2009)

hubby and I are going to just buy each other what we need most.

Hope to keep it simple and enjoy our Christmas together as one big Family.
default_wub.png

I voted "same as last year" but that might be deceiving, because "same as last year" means pretty much nothing. We really don't "do" Christmas. Mom and I don't exchange gifts with each other nor with any of the aunts/uncle/cousins. My one aunt always sends something to each of us so we get her a token gift each year and that is the extent of our Christmas shopping. We send out a few cards and fix a big Christmas dinner for ourselves. On Christmas eve we reflect on the past year and what we have in life--generally there is something we've bought in the past few months that counts as our gift for the year--a foal we've purchased, or a new cart, or some show halters...those are the gifts I like!

We will be going to Alaska this year for Christmas. Used our air miles and we only had to pay a total of $20.00. A number of years ago we had all agreed to just get the grandchildren gifts under the tree. We feel that the visit either way is a blessing and our gift to each other. Alaska kids will be here for thanksgiving then 2 weeks later we go there for a white Christmas! Quite a few traditions that the family participates in. One which is a lot of fun is the candy making. What a riot! Then the next day we go into the sewing room and pull out lace, material and anything else we can find and we sit down to each make an ornament for the tree. The men in the family are included in this and you should see some of their designs. The best Christmas is having your family around gifts or not.

Heck I don't know what I'll be spending,,,,,to much going on to think past tomorrow. Just happy most are healthy and if I do spend more, it will be to get to NY to see my new grandson, so I guess that would be a present for all!

Funny, just spoke to my mom, and she is bragging how she just finished up
default_wacko.png

She has 5 kids, 4 kids-in-laws,,,,,,,,17 grandkids, and 5 great grandkids,,,,,,she buys 5 presents for each, spends same amount of money on each, and she works on it all year round as that is how long it takes to truly balance that many presents with the same dollar amount. She always finishs by Oct. 15, because it takes her till Christmas to get them all wrapped. She is the only person I know with a Christmas Schedule. But, it gives her something to do and she loves it.

Ours will be less. We have friends that we are drawing names for each of our kids this year. We will be giving to my three nephews. My kids are very young. We are going to start making the holidays more about family and less about things.

Last year we started giving to a needy family. Each family member contributed $25 and 1 new toy to be given to a local family.

Kim

Same as last year.

I never spend alot of money at Christmas.

I started giving Heifer International donations as presents a few years back and that is what I will do this year too.

I will buy for the kids, but I never go nuts.

Hubby and I are pretty practical at Christmas and exchange gifts that we need.

I think I will be more aware of what I spend this year though.

We'll be spending FAR less than last year.

I think someone should start a thread on buying gifts on a budget.

I'm always looking for creative ideas.

Its gonna have to be less for us this year- we are not ones who go crazy at xmas anyway but this year everything is higher so we will have to adapt.

I will say gas here is $2.99 WooHoo!!! My husband was in Arkansas last weekend and he said it was $2.85 or $2.89-WOW

I say if we want to help the economy then gas has to stay down so food and everything isnt so much... Here is to cheap gas!!

Great idea Marty-lets see a list so we can all shop economically..

Its gonna have to be less for us this year- we are not ones who go crazy at xmas anyway but this year everything is higher so we will have to adapt.
I will say gas here is $2.99 WooHoo!!! My husband was in Arkansas last weekend and he said it was $2.85 or $2.89-WOW

I say if we want to help the economy then gas has to stay down so food and everything isnt so much... Here is to cheap gas!!

Great idea Marty-lets see a list so we can all shop economically..
Don't get used to gas under 3 bux..Opec is meeting ahead of time to cut production..we getting used to prices way to fast..October 06 was 2.02 and oct 07 was 2.77..now we are getting exited if its around 3.00

I agree it isnt gonna stay down low. I just wish I would..

I will take anything cheaper...

Will be much less.

Boyfriend and I will probably get each other something small...don't have too many friends and I am not sure for the family.

Latest posts

Back