Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLJcowgirl

Reaction score
Hello all, me again. I don't really have anyone around to ask questions about mini showing, so I am using you yet again.

I bought my girlie an Arabian style and I'm having second thoughts. I love it and it's so cute on her, but I don't really know if it's appropriate for her look. I'm thinking a stock type may fit her better. I don't know, what do you all think?

How do you decide what style of halter to use on your mini? Are there times one halter style is favored over the other? Any classes one type should/shouldn't be used? Or is this all preference? I won't be showing breed, she's not registered, so am I over thinking this? I just want to present her at her best.

Thank you for your advice!

And a pic of the halter
default_wub.png
(I accidentally put it on upside down the first time I tried it on... but this pic is just too cute!)
13645254_10201661229490582_3930198520811318585_n.jpg

It's taken me almost 30 yrs to get to where I "like" and can appreciate those cable halters. I always preferred the welsh style/stud bridle that has both a brow band and a throat latch OR the western style (though didn't like them on the minis/small shetlands so much - sometimes too bulky).

That one really does look nice on your girl. The whole look, in the end, is up to you. You could actually put a browband on that to match your noseband and a throatlatch, too, if you'd like.

In 1998, I had 4 halters custom made for our small ponies/minis - I felt that the browband and throat latch made them safer for the girls (8,6 & 5 yrs old) to handle the ponies themselves. Especially after the number of accidents I saw where the cable "slips" literally slipped right off of heads and allowed for loose ponies, foals and arabians... I never got around to attaching silver to them (a good thing since some of the hardware is brass), but do still have the original 4!

StuffySierraHeadshotAug98.jpg

shown on a 1/2 arabian pony filly - 3 months o old

642d.jpg

shown on a "furry" weanling with a "red" curbstrap instead of a chain under the chin.

bd3a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the halter you chose. I would take into consideration what would be around when you show and how secure the area may be. I love the sleek look of those dainty little halters but if worst case scenario it broke or slipped off, would your horse just be loose in the ring or a secured area or would there be a chance of ending up in danger. I don't show but I go to shows and watch because I would love to eventually. I have thought about that very thing though. I've thought personally I would probably use a good old safe halter up to ringside and switch out just before going in. Once in there's really nowhere they could get into trouble because it's usually inside an arena. If ever I decided to give it try, that would be my plan.

Depends on what type of show. You will NOT see any miniature horses showing in a mini breed sanctioned show halter class in a western style halter. They all use a cable-style of halter, but can vary greatly in the nose band, cable sides (filigree or non-filigree), conchos, etc. The most important thing is a halter that is adjusted to fit correctly. There is nothing that makes a head look more clunky than a poorly fit halter. Most "newbies" have the noseband too low on the nose, and this makes the head look extra long and out of proportion. Minis do not show with a browband, either. However, if you are showing in jumping, hunter, halter obstacle, etc., a western style halter is often the preferred way to go. If showing in Liberty, you want a halter that is easy off - and more importantly - easy to get on and buckle and appearance of the halter is not important.

I show in unrated shows and use a western silver halter as my mini is not a refined type. And I like dressing up western :)

But these are fun shows. If I went to the bigger shows I would go with a cable halter as it's the norm.

Your girl looks lovely in her new halter!

I am going to agree with Jean_B, it totally depends on the type of show you are going to but as far as a halter class goes, this is the kind of halter you should have to accentuate your mares head. If you show in halter obstacle, hunter, jumper, that is when a western style halter is used.

Thank you very much everyone for your replies!

I'm probably one of those "newbies" Jean. But I very much appreciate your information. I really couldn't find much while googling.

Luv, I've only had the chance to use that halter once at a show, and had had the same thought of it slipping off, so I kept her in her normal halter until showtime. It works great.

And Paintpony, I just have to say I absolutely love that you always have a wealth of pictures to show exactly what your talking about! I'm always impressed when you post.

Cayuse, that's exactly how I started feeling about this halter. She's not a super refined, Araby horse. But boy is she cute
default_smile.png

Strange, I do think it makes her head look more feminine
default_smile.png

If you go and look at some of the miniature horse tack on-line catalogs, you will be able to see pictures of the different types of halters on horses and see what a difference they make in appearance. Try Star Lake Tack, Ozark Mountain Tack, and Running Creek, to name a few. It's amazing how a different style halter can make or break the appearance of a horse's head. You don't want your halter to be the first thing someone sees when looking at your horse....it should just help accent a nice head without being overwhelming.

PS: I think the halter you have is complementing your horse nicely.

~~~And Paintpony, I just have to say I absolutely love that you always have a wealth of pictures to show exactly what your talking about! I'm always impressed when you post.~~~

Thank you!

I forgot to say (or maybe I did in another post?) that since you mention you are showing in Open shows with a non-registered horse, "follow" the circuit. If you know of a group that regularly puts on shows that you'll go to, see if that organization gets the same judges rotating through their shows. If you can find out who the judge will be (our show series doesn't post that - used to drive me CRAZY!!), find out what type of judge that judge is (QH, Hunter/dressage, Arab, Morgan, saddle horse, Draft, etc) and then you can train your mare and dress yourself and her to match the style that that judge "caters to" (at least somewhat). Then when that judge is judging the classes you are in, you are presenting your mare the way that judge already likes to work. Of course, do so w/i your mares' conformation (practice different poses and figure out which is just too extreme for setting her up in - then never take her that far.). You'd be surprised how impressed a judge will be and the fact that you might get more "look time" or comparisons to the other horses.

O, and be prepared - some folks will think you are either cheating or "buttering up" the judge. I don't believe you are - I believe you are preparing yourself and your horse to the best of your ability and see nothing wrong with "catering" to a judges specific style of judging. You just don't go to loud extremes.

You could even find out what the judges are taught to look for. Here in NC, we have judges clinics in January/February - every year. A judge that wants to judge Open shows, goes to find out what is required in each different breed standard. They will get to see and judge, (hopefully) a full class of horses of breeds then might not see otherwise UNTIL they get to a show. They might actually be carded in their specific breeds, but once they go to this clinic (can't remember if they have to do it every year or not), they get added to a list that Open Shows, Benefit shows, 4H and FFA shows will then utilize to call judges from. You can sit and learn in the same classes - up in the stands - or at least we used to be able to do so.

ADDED/EDIT - This is a 2 way "street" set up - the 4H/FFA students were also here - this is where they learn the breed standards that they will be placing for their Judging contests. During the 10 years our daughters were active in some form of 4H and FFA, NC DID NOT have standards for either Miniature Horses OR Shetland ponies (actually there were none for any pony breed). ADDED/EDIT

This works even, or maybe especially, in showmanship classes. When we had a specific judge that judged Arabians but was also very much a hunt seat english enthusiast - the youth that presented their horses/ponies in hunt attire w/ appropriate boots/jacket/helmet/gloves and a bridle w/ their horse's mane/forelock braided - got a 2nd look. They did not always place higher BUT they got that 2nd look. Our family attended several shows that would have western, QH type judges - and even the Arabs/Saddlebreds and Morgans would be shown mostly squared up rather than stretched to extremes and in a different halter though not always a "stock type". It was pretty awesome to then see that judge place those breeds over the QH he normally favored - if they moved sound and true (a lot of the QH then didn't here for a few years).

OR you can stick with what you've got and always present your mare as if she is a registered Miniature Horse. Really depends on how you feel about it. You can present even a stocky type horse slightly stretched or a more slender, "stretchy" horse slightly squared up. Just changing the angle/level of your mare's head and muzzle position can make a big difference in what a judge "sees" and appreciates.

I do have some pics showing some different positions of one pony we had...
default_new_multi.gif

Thank you again so much everyone!

I do think I have an idea of how the judges are going to judge Paintpony, I haven't been to any of the shows yet, as they are a couple hours away, but they happen in conjunction with APHA/AQHA shows, and as far as I know, the same judges do the mini classes.

I should have known to consider what the judges might be looking for! But it didn't even cross my mind haha
default_doh.gif

Latest posts

Back