CHOKE!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maewest4u

Reaction score
Hi y’all. Just a heads up on an experience I had last night. Our 3 1/2 yr old miniature horse was pleasantly eating his normal dinner of Purina Miniature Horse pellets , one sliced up carrot and 1/2 flake of grass hay. He started choking! Gagging, stopped eating, head down, squealing, then became lethargic. I was unable to get a vet till morning but by then it had resolved it’s self. What a horrible experience. He was so scared and uncomfortable for hours. The culprit we decided was a big slice of carrot. So… please be careful and cut up those big carrots into little pieces. I’ve learned a valuable lesson.

EE73F3FA-BA52-4071-9F54-D84A4901D9F9.jpegEE73F3FA-BA52-4071-9F54-D84A4901D9F9.jpegEE73F3FA-BA52-4071-9F54-D84A4901D9F9.jpeg
Sorry that you had to go through that! Keep a close eye on him for a few days and maybe take his temp. Aspiration pneumonia can happen after choke if they inhaled anything during the choking episode.
Thank you for the advice. It makes me realize I love my animals way too much. I’m still shook up about the episode.

Attachments

• 9550CB0C-7398-42FC-9B19-F54523982AAF.jpeg
    9550CB0C-7398-42FC-9B19-F54523982AAF.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 4
Glad he is ok. Sliced carrots are bad. A friend got stuck with a huge vet bill because she thought cutting them up small would make her horse less likely to choke and the vet said that was what caused it. The vet told her feed carrots whole or don't feed them at all.

Glad he is ok. Sliced carrots are bad. A friend got stuck with a huge vet bill because she thought cutting them up small would make her horse less likely to choke and the vet said that was what caused it. The vet told her feed carrots whole or don't feed them at all.
Wow!! That’s good to know. I started slicing them when he started loosing baby teeth. No more carrots!

Hi y’all. Just a heads up on an experience I had last night. Our 3 1/2 yr old miniature horse was pleasantly eating his normal dinner of Purina Miniature Horse pellets , one sliced up carrot and 1/2 flake of grass hay. He started choking! Gagging, stopped eating, head down, squealing, then became lethargic. I was unable to get a vet till morning but by then it had resolved it’s self. What a horrible experience. He was so scared and uncomfortable for hours. The culprit we decided was a big slice of carrot. So… please be careful and cut up those big carrots into little pieces. I’ve learned a valuable lesson.
How terrifying. So glad your baby is OK!

Totally scary. Dapper Dan sort of choked on a slice of carrot once. He got it down all right but it gave me a scare. Now I cut each slice into pieces. Also, I've found that after they lay out a while they are softer.
I'll try grating, though. Sounds much safer.
I’m so glad you saw the carrot issue before Dapper Dan had a bad choke. I seriously am going to be grating Phantom’s carrots, as silly as it seems.

I have been feeding out 1-4 lb of carrots a day for some months, since I found they often run cheaper than apples, and are better appreciated. My horse gets 2 decent scoops of horse feed too. Never had a choke, but these are horses standing 15 hands high.

Latest posts

Back