Childhood horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently got a new minaiture horse, an appaloosa. I had an appaloosa name Dusty when I was a child so I had to call my new one Dusty also.

I had to leave Dusty behind during a move at age 13. I had a photo of him laminated and carried it in my purse until I got married. I've looked and looked for that old photo but can't find it. What I did find, was the paper I taped hairs from Dusty's mane and tail onto. Back in 1965.

I wonder what ever happened to my old friend?

olddusty.jpg

I've often wondered where one of mine went. At one time I heard he was being used as a pack animal in one of the western states. Also, looking back, I feel soooo guilty because I "know" what happened to my first horse. I was just a kid at the time and didn't know any better, but I strongly suspect that she came to a bad end because she was old when we sold her. Funny how you look back at something that happened over 50 years ago and feel guilty about it.
default_sad.png

My 1st was a bay pinto Shetland named Chico I got when I was 9. After a year of chasing him in a 10 acre pasture to catch him, him dumping me when the saddle slipped...lol...and other stuff, we sold him, but since I was only 10, I don't remember it...and didn't care at the time I guess, cuz I then got the pony of my dreams...a 1/2 Welsh 1/2 QH sorrel named Harmony...sweetest pony ever! Unfortunately, I do remember what happened to her...one year after we got her, she got sick at the county fair and died!
default_no.gif

I often think of my riding horse, Smokey. He gave me so much confidence when I first started out. I loved that horse. Then I got married, bought a house and no longer had the time to ride. I sold him to a young girl so I hope that he gave her the same confidence he gave me.

That is so neat that you still have Dusty's mane and tail hair.

I often wonder what ever happened to all of mine. I do know what happened to my first pony. A family in the same town I grew up in bought her, they used her for their grandkids to ride and taught her to pull a cart. They tried to breed her and she miscarried on several differant ocasions. My others I'm not sure. My frend says she sees my (then 5 yr. old) form time to time at shows, he would be 22 now. He was a jumping horse an after I figured that out I sold him as I DO NOT jump. I know my daughter is going to wonder about her horses that we have sold. We are in contact with the people that bought our minis, and I know Drew went t Rhode Island to be a pack horse (for now). So I can so far tell her with confidence we know what happened to them. I had another QH as a kid and he would be 28 or so. He ended up going to alesson program and then sold to one of the students after that I have no idea. And I have no idea what happend to the first horse I owned after she went to a friends brother.

Christy

I have posted a picture of him before but I never get tired of looking at it or sharing it for that matter
default_wub.png
He was my very first horse that I could call my own. I loved him dearly but sadly he developed navicular and my mother couldn't afford the care. She sold him to a horse trader. I contacted him years down the road to ask him what had become of my Nugget. He said, "I don't know sweetie but if he was in that bad of shape I probably had him put down". At the time he told my mom he would do everything he could to find him a home that would care for him. But in my heart I know what he did with him. I have never forgiven myself for not fighting my Mom harder on the issue. I don't think it would have mattered though.

I don't think we ever truly get over our first "horsey" love. Because of those events so many years ago I am very sensitive to helping animals in need. Even bugs in need lol
default_biggrin.png
Why just today I scooped a bumble bee out of my pool that was taking it's last breath. He held on for a few minutes but promplty killed over. I guess with each rescue, however small, I feel that I tried.

Cheers to all of our first "horsey" loves
default_wub.png

Nugget and I at the lake when I was 16 or so.

nugget-1.jpg

I had a couple of mares growing up - the first I rode from about age 12 almost through high school. I know she went to Colorado to someone's ranch, imagine she lived out her life there. The second was a filly we raised, and I had her until we had to put her down at almost 30 years old close to 20 years ago. She gave us several nice foals in her life, and gave my kids their start on riding.
default_smile.png

Jan

My first pony was named Princess. I got her when I was 3. I had her until I was 11, almost 12 and she died of old age. My first horse I got a week before my 13th birthday. Her name was Pasos Flame, a gorgeous chestnut arabian mare, sadly I know what happened to her. I had to put her down in 2003 at the age of 19. I had her 12 wonderful years. I still have 2 of her daughters here. I miss her a lot. She taught me a lot and 3 years after I got her she was diagnosed with reccurent uveitis and by the time I put her down she was totally blind but still was great to ride. She trusted me and I could ride her bridless and bareback. No one could believe how well she went for being blind. Her being blind was not the reason I put her down, in 2002 she was up near Oka, Quebec getting bred to Whirlwind Blues, a gorgeous bay arabian stallion and during that stay their was a huge forest fire in Oka. My mare got really sick and was skin and bones. We almost lost her. It took months to get weight back on her but due to the smoke she got heaves badly. When her 2003 filly was born she had no milk and we pulled the foal and hand raised her per vets orders. Pasos over the next 3 months kept getting worse and not better even on the meds so I made the hard decision to put her down. I still have herlast foal, the 2003 filly, SPH Sameera Sunnphire, as well as her 2nd filly for me, SPH Phancyphire. Her first filly for me, SPH Starrphire was also put down in 2003 due to a very very bad leg injury at age 9. :-(

My first horse was a little POA pony named Gypsy. She was an awesome one eyed pony. She had had cancer in her eye so the vet removed it. My friends would call her the Cyclops Troll pony, because of her one eye and the fact that her mane was just like those little troll dolls. You could mold her mane into different dos. We were fortunate to be able to keep for for the rest of her life. I learned a lot from her as did my little sister. It was a difficult day when we had to put her down because of an illness. I'll have to dig up a picture of her she was a cutie.

I have had a number of 'first' horses....

my first 'horse' was a donkey, that my parents bought as a weanling. She lived to be 21 and we had to put her down due to old age.

My next 'first' horse was my mini mare, Ginger, who I still have here....at 26 years old, she is starting to show her age. Every year I have her I cherish her even more.....

The first big horse that I had in my life was a neighbour's horse that I used to ride. She was about 14.3 hh bay Arbian/Saddlebred (so I was told) named Sugar. I wasn't able to buy her at the time, and she went to a local dealer. I actually found her about a year later...for sale again. I wanted to buy her in the worst way, but they were asking far too much money than she was worth. They told me they sold her to a young girl not too far away, just as a companion horse....I do wonder what happened to her.....

And my first big horse that I owned, I think about often. Bought her as a yearling, and she just did not work out for what I was wanting to do. She loves what she's doing now from what I'm told....wish I could run into her at a horse show though, as I'd love to see what she looks like now....but I do know it was the right decision, and I am sooo happy with my Anoki brat.

I'll have to dig out a picture of Sugar.....

Wow, that brings back A LOT of memories.....
default_wub.png

~kathryn

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I would love to see a picture!!!!

I have had a number of 'first' horses....my first 'horse' was a donkey, that my parents bought as a weanling. She lived to be 21 and we had to put her down due to old age.

My next 'first' horse was my mini mare, Ginger, who I still have here....at 26 years old, she is starting to show her age. Every year I have her I cherish her even more.....

The first big horse that I had in my life was a neighbour's horse that I used to ride. She was about 14.3 hh bay Arbian/Saddlebred (so I was told) named Sugar. I wasn't able to buy her at the time, and she went to a local dealer. I actually found her about a year later...for sale again. I wanted to buy her in the worst way, but they were asking far too much money than she was worth. They told me they sold her to a young girl not too far away, just as a companion horse....I do wonder what happened to her.....

And my first big horse that I owned, I think about often. Bought her as a yearling, and she just did not work out for what I was wanting to do. She loves what she's doing now from what I'm told....wish I could run into her at a horse show though, as I'd love to see what she looks like now....but I do know it was the right decision, and I am sooo happy with my Anoki brat.

I'll have to dig out a picture of Sugar.....

Wow, that brings back A LOT of memories.....
default_wub.png

~kathryn

Back