Chickens with Pony

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa De Renee

Reaction score
We got 5 chickens to keep our pony company. The problem is our food aggressive Shetland is crazy about their crushed feed. He keeps breaking into their Coop and even breaking their metal feeder troth thing to eat it. Is it ok for the pony to eat that stuff? Does anyone else have this problem?

It is not ok for him to eat chicken feed. Especially if it's medicated chick starter.
A very small amount of regular chicken feed won't kill him, but it is very high on the list of things that can cause laminitis and colic. Find a way to keep him out of it. My chickens feed has always been out of the horses reach. They can interact while free ranging. It's also not a good idea for chickens to poop on the horses hay.

No, horses cannot eat chicken feed. I have a stall guard across the gate of my chicken pen so the hens can come and go but my horses cannot get in. I have miniatures, so the stall guard is bolted low enough for me to step over. And I only put a one pound can of feed in their trough, just in case the horses get in.

I had the same problem with my mini. I ended up making a stall guard of sorts with a bungee across the gate like Marsha, so I can leave open the gate to let them roam.

I purchased a regular big horse stall guard. Eye bolts on the door frame to clip it on. A pain to step over, but it does the job. I've had horses try to go over, under, and through. But none have been able to frustrate it. Over the last 8 years I've only had to replace it once.

Latest posts

Back