Chicken updates anyone?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
too bad ur not close enough...

I butcher all my "too many roos"

and for a friend as well!

default_smile.png

Have a question - do any of you have any experience with the "super blue layers"? These are Ameraucana x white Leghorn crosses. I went ahead and purchased a trio - believe the hens are F1 and the roo is F2, but might be the other way around OR I may have purchased brood stock that is F1 and the resulting chicks will be F2. I need to call the woman I purchased them from (once I re-sort the papers/addresses I got at the show this weekend) to figure out which way they are. These are young - won't be laying eggs for a while. Because I have two hens and one roo, I expect that I will also have chicks resulting from "clutches" (right term?) when they are older.

I don't have a good coop or small pen situation yet, they are pretty wild - so they are still crated. I am pulling them out each day and handling them some. Need to get some mealy worms - so that I can feed them from my hands.

13dec14pets446.jpg Don't have other pics yet...

I also got a little bantam, red, roo. He's very happy here and so are my BIG girls (production reds(4), ameraucanas (3) & cucko marans (1)..

13dec14pets443.jpg 13dec14pets441.jpg

13dec14pets444.jpg

& who says they can't live together?? Here's Tigger, the cat; Monkey the dog and Roo, the new bantam rooster. In my living room! Actually, Roo stayed in my lap for a couple of hours - before I put him in his box for the night. He's already "running loose" with the girls - roosting up on the outside of the dog kennel in the carport.

13dec14pets440.jpg

Very pretty birds!

Leghorns are flighty, so they may not tame down as much as heavy birds. If your pen doesn't have a top, you will likely need to clip a wing. I don't think leghorns are very broody, so you may not get chicks, unless you incubate.

Your rooster is so handsome. Sort of makes me want one, but not quite!

How fun to go to a chicken show!

If I need to, they can become dinner. Shoot even my "heavy birds" got their wings clipped (right one) as youngsters, trying to slow the flying around and out of here business!

See I hadn't really resaearched the leghorns, but I believe what some are saying is that you retain the blue laying w/ them (whereas my brown laying hens would produce chicks that have olive coloration. Too funny - why would "we" cross a low rate sitting/laying bird on another that is the say way along with the extra flightiness. ah - live and learn. It's been fun and they are "purty"!

Well, they might not be great setters but leghorns are great layers so the cross should give you hens that will lay plenty of 'blue' eggs. You can always slip some under one of your heavy hens if she starts to go broody since she won't give a hoot who's eggs she hatches out. BTW leghorns are not ideal as eating birds, just not all that much meat on them. ;) when I process the young roosters from a group of mixed chicks (in my case still a bigger bird than leghorns -called a dual purpose - but not a meat bird IMO) I just call them soup chickens. I also find even processed young they are not very tender so they make good soup but not much for roasting or frying.

Love your new addition btw
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back