Checking in finally after Hurricane Rita

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westwood Farms

Reaction score
Please indulge me, as I tell you the story of my experience with Hurricane Rita...and my horses

It all began on Sept. 23, 2005, manditory evacuation of our area, Rita was headed right for us. I was frantic, knowing I could not take the horses. It was 110 outside, and they would have cooked in the trailer. I cried as I said goodbye to my Quarter Horse of over 20 years. I cried over telling them all goodbye. I prayed over them, and asked God to spare them. I told my little girl, all we can do is hope they will be here when we return. She, even at 5 years old, understood the magnitude of the storm, and our situation.

So, we left, not really knowing where we were headed. It took 8 hours to get to a normal 1 hour destination. People were very patient for the most part, as 3 million of us left our homes, our lives, and our critters behind. WE finally got to Checotah, Oklahoma 20 hours later. ( We got home in 8 ).

The people at the Kampground of America were very kind to us, and allowed us to stay in the main building as the storm approached our area. We had located our preacher and his family, and we stayed together through the whole thing. Preacher kept telling me my horses would be fine.

I cried more, and I cry as I write this. Rita changed me, forever.

The next morning, we called home, to only one family that stayed in our immediate area. Through the day, we called, checking on them, and getting updates on our places. Finally, we got word on our home, no-one could get back here, they had no idea if anything was standing, much less alive. I was terribly frantic. We called again, and they said trees were everywhere, and they simply could not even safely walk back here, due to all the debris, power lines down, and trees, I know for sure we have counted 40 trees down.

Then an old friend called the next day. He managed to get back here, and saw horses, ALIVE!!. My only question was is my nugget ok? He said he was sure 2 large horses made it through the storm. That meant my Nugget, and my foster horse were ok. Next question, were there any minis? He said yes, but he had no idea who, how many or anything. He told us of the trees being on every fence, and you could not really see through all the downed trees how many minis survived.

A farmer friend was able to cut around 8 trees, and bring in water every 3 days. At least they had something.

Chances mini horse rescue was very sweet, and helpful. We were displaced, could not get feed , and they gave us support we needed. Chances sent us a monitary donation, and we bought a generator to come home. Thank you Chances, you saved many horses lives by sending us that, so we could get home. They called and checked on us, as did several other forum members. I do appreciate everything that was done. Lone Star Equine \ Habitat for Horses also stepped up to the plate, since I am a foster mom, and within 10 days of being home, hay and feed was sent to me to disberse to the 3 counties that have fosters.

Before we left Oklahoma, we also bought gas to get home, we knew we would need it. I think we had 17, 5 gallon containers full, in a U- Haul.8 days later, we headed home, still not knowing the full magnitude of the damage of our area

As we came into Beaumont, which is of significant size, it was pitch black. It was so Eary, and scary. We could not orentate ourselves at all. We made the drive home, another 20 minutes or so out, and we got to our driveway. Even though it was dark, we could see it was bad. All we did was sit in the truck a bit, and look down the long, what used to be beautiful driveway. Now, it was just trees., and lots of them.

WE weaved through them, and got back to the house. It was fine. I got out, with a flashlight, and went to see my horses. They were all there, every one, from month old foals, to 25 year old horses. We set up a tent, and slept a couple of hours.

When daylight came, I checked every horse from head to toe. My mares were the worst off, I think they must have stood over their foals, and blocked them from flying debris.My Daughters mare had lost all her weight, she was bones. She is an older mare, and I had put her foal in with her during the storm. Her weanling was fine. They were all skinny, but glad I was home. I just sat out there, and thanked God for every head of horse out there, I was thankful we had a house to come home to, and I was thankful to be alive. We were Lucky, many houses still have trees in them. We had 140 mph winds clocked here, and a tornado, and we still had a home.

Of course there was damage, the house shifted on its foundation, so we have lots of remodeling to do, the barn lost a wall, and the trampoline moved from the back yard, over the house, and sat itself in the front yard. I am still amazed my horses made it.

It took almost 3 weeks to get lights back on, and my daughter missed 17 days of school. We just got our internet, and cable on this week.

I learned a couple of things with Katrina, that directly affected how we treated the storm coming for us. Get out was the first lesson I learned, and had we still lived in the log cabin that we just sold and moved from, we would have stayed. It had 3 trees in it. I learned have a contact person. Ours was family in Kansas. Although I had no clue where my dad, step mom, or my brother and their family was, I knew right after the storm they were ok.

I also learned horses are stronger than we think. They got upper respiratory infections, and oh, my goodness, rain scald so bad. But, I knew better than to leave them in the barn, and it is a good thing I did not, as it lost a wall. We are still treating them for this and that, since they got so stressed, but all in all, they are great.

If anyone would like to e-mail me for pictures, you are welcome to. [email protected] FEMA is still around, and we just saw the insurance man this week. Our fences are a mess, and most still have trees on them, but the horses cannot get out. The horse trailer is un-usable, it got whacked.

We burn and burn, and this weekend, finally, we see a dent in the downed trees. Rita is finally going away. Looking at those trees are a great reality check, but I am glad to be getting them burned.

Thank you for all your support, prayers, and thoughts. It really means the world to me. I am sorry this is so long, but I really could go on and on forever.

I also want to thank Christy Darmond. As most of you know, I had Ranger, Too. I had paid a bunch into him, but after the storm felt I needed to return him, as I could not justify making payments on a horse, when our property is a huge mess. We needed living money, since both of us could not work for a couple of weeks. She did not even ask questions, she knew we were in a bind. I miss Ranger, too every single day, he is a wonderful horse. We had finally bonded right before Rita. If you have the opportunity, buy him, he really looks like his professional pictures. He is gorgeous. Thank you Christy for understanding.

I will be a lurker again, I am glad to be back.

Alicia and family

Oh my goodness Alicia... I am so sorry that you and your family had to go through that. Even though it was sad, and very hard to leave your animals.. most important thing is you are all OK ! <<HUGS>>

Things "Will" get better!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Alicia, I'd been thinking of and praying for you the whole time. Thank God all the horses made it through! I know first hand how wonderful Christy is! I'm sorry you had to give up Ranger. I was thrilled for you when you got him.

I'm sorry for everything you've all been through. Please don't lurk, come and post when you have time. I know it will take years for things to get back to normal. I'm glad you're still with us.

Please take care and know you're in my thoughts.

Oh my Alicia, your story sure puts a new perspective on things when hearing it first hand. I am sooooo sorry for all you, your family and animals had to and continue to have to endure. May God continue to bless you as he certainly already has and give you continued strength to get your life back in order. I can only imagine what you have been through.

Hey Alicia! So glad you posted. I can't begin to imagine what you all have been through, but I'm so glad to hear you and your horses are all safe. I've kept you all in my prayers as well.

God Bless and Take Care....

Oh My and I thought I had it bad when I got blown across the field because I had not the sense to let go of the wheelbarrow!!!

Alicia we will still pray for you, and all your friends and family. I think Rita sought of got overshadowed by Katrina, we have to remember you all, and I will, I promise.

I am so grateful that your horses got through it all OK, I cannot imagine what it must have been like having to leave the but, as the Mother of a young child, you had to have your priorities in the right order.

God Bless, please post when you can. Jane.

no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Your story broke my heart and made me cry. My prayers will continue to you for strength.

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us.

Oh, Alicia, I know you feel that you have been to h**ll and back! Believe me, it will get better! I haven't been through a hurricane, so I don't know the magnitude of that, but having a tornado come through here, I have some idea of how you must feel.

The last one that came through here 2.5 years ago, I left 15 minutes before it hit as I feared it would be bad and I thought it best to save myself. I was so worried about my horses and not knowing what to expect when I returned. Fortunately, my home and main barns were spared, but it took out many trees, all of my loafing sheds and destroyed all of my fences. No horses were killed and I absolutely don't know how. They were all outside in their pens and loafing sheds and none of that was there when I came back. These were extremely well built sheds too. On pipe, welded and concreted into the ground. They were scattered for a 1/4 mile. Brush and debris everywhere. One mare suffered a gash to her lower shoulder that had to be sutured. Another suffered an eye injury that was treated and she was fine. NO other injuries.

It has taken 2 years to actually complete the clean up. I just this spring had the remaining huge brush piles burned and buried. I felt like I was burying that memory and no longer had to relive it when I looked out.

It will take some time, but as you clean up and get things back to normal, you will be very thankful for what all you do have.

Thank you for sharing your nightmare with us. As bad as it was for you....you are so very lucky that you, your family & all your horses made it thru. God was certainly listening to your prayers.
yes.gif

I am so glad someone realized that we did not get much national coverage because of Katrina. But, I also realize that when they said get out, we did. Believe me, things could have been so much worse. It went from a cat 5 to a cat 3 at landfall. When we left town, it was still a cat 5, a massive storm. And we expected the worst. There are many mini farms in this area, many still with so many trees in the pastures, that you would never know horses exist there. At least I can see mine now. There were at least 30 tornadoes in this immediate area.

anyway, thanks for your stories, also. I would love to hear more. You know, we are all in it together, when it comes to Mother Nature. And we all have a love of the miniature horse. So, when one of us is hurting, we all hurt.

We are better, and even got the Christmas Tree up yesterday. I look out my window, and see busted fences, and twisted trees, but it is now time to focus on Christmas. Rita can wait another month...Anyone else visited by Rita or Katrina, ( or any other hurricane for that matter) Please write, I am saving all the stories for a scrapbook. Also, I am glad I am not where Becky lives, We see those hurricanes coming, sometimes you do not see the tornadoes coming. You were very lucky, and I am glad you are ok.

Alicia,

I am so glad to hear you and your horses are all ok. What a frightening experience to go through. We have earthquakes here occasionally but I don't think those are as scary as hurricanes.

My prayers and best wishes to you and your family for a speedy disaster recovery.

Wow, what a story. I am so glad that you and your family were largely spared and blessed. Thanks for telling your tale, it could be any one of us for any number of reasons, we all learn from one another what to do. For our farm, it is a danger of flooding or earthquake. Leaving your horses behind had to have been the hardest thing you've ever done.

(((((HUGS)))))

God Bless u!!! We just made a trip from fl to texas and back and what we saw was awful. We went through beaumont tx and around there and I cant believe how many trees the storm took out and to see the roofs all covered in tarps, most roofs!! We left florida and there are still tarps everywhere around here in florida from the hurricanes LAST YEAR!!!Then in every state along the way to texas we saw more and more tarps. At all the little campgrounds are people living out in the open UNDER more tarps. And talk about mosquitos, they about ate us alive. I feel so bad for all of u! It really makes me thankful just to have a house to live in. Best wishes for u all. Jennifer

Oh, Alicia, I've thought of you often. I'm so glad that all your family and animals were fine!

Debi

What a blessing you, your family and your horses made it through that without any injuries.

Alicia, thank goodness you are back home with no loss of life - truly you have a guardian angel nearby.

Thank you for taking the time to share your story, it is a reminder for all of us as we take stock and give Thanks during this holiday season. Special thoughts over the next few months as you rebuild and clean up the storm damage.

Latest posts

Back