Check out my new buckskin!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:aktion033: Good Job! Looks like a whole new horse! I wish I lived near you, we could get into all KINDS of trouble! Your pics and posts always make me laugh! I'm still laughing over the chickens!

I have been thinking of coloring my grulla stallions mane and tail. The top hairs turn brownish from the sun I guess. We have a beauty supply chain here called "Sally's" I used to get color for my hair there that had no peroxide in it. I wonder if that would be better for black manes. I want to see the pics of Rockey when his "roots" begin to show!!! :new_shocked:

Good luck at the show!!! May the most colored horse win!

Ok, I'm going against the grain....
default_unsure.png
:

You did a fantastic job!!!
default_yes.gif
: Everything blends well and looks great.

But I preferred Rocky in his natural color. I always thought he probably carried a silver gene that made his color so unique.

It's just my personal preference, horses should for the most part be left as natural as can be. Another reason I don't show.

But again, you did do a good job! Just not my cup of tea
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Ok, I'm going against the grain....
default_unsure.png
:

You did a fantastic job!!!
default_yes.gif
: Everything blends well and looks great.

But I preferred Rocky in his natural color. I always thought he probably carried a silver gene that made his color so unique.

It's just my personal preference, horses should for the most part be left as natural as can be. Another reason I don't show.

But again, you did do a good job! Just not my cup of tea
default_rolleyes.gif
:
I agree!! I like his "under" color. I didn't match that very well though. The color of his mane and tail under the sun bleaching is a medium brown. It is not black, but not as light as the sun bleached part. I totally admit that I used the wrong color. But, I can't do a lot about it now. I will just have to let him grow out and see how I feel about coloring next year!! :bgrin

:aktion033: Good Job! Looks like a whole new horse! I wish I lived near you, we could get into all KINDS of trouble! Your pics and posts always make me laugh! I'm still laughing over the chickens!

I have been thinking of coloring my grulla stallions mane and tail. The top hairs turn brownish from the sun I guess. We have a beauty supply chain here called "Sally's" I used to get color for my hair there that had no peroxide in it. I wonder if that would be better for black manes. I want to see the pics of Rockey when his "roots" begin to show!!! :new_shocked:

Good luck at the show!!! May the most colored horse win!
First I wanted to say thanks for the nice comments. When someone does something drastic, sometimes people can get nasty about it. That said, I was not for coloring Rocky and would have never thought of it, but I read about it in a mini horse world mag, and my inner hair dresser came out!! :new_shocked: I had to find out if it was show legal first though.

OK, now about peroxides. 10 volume is a depositer and I think it is needed to get coverage on a horses course hair. I did a little experiment with Slick and used 40 volume on his forlock with a lever 9 blond color and it came us a beautiful sunset orange. But, it just was not him, so I colored it back to dark red useing a level 2 (the smaller the numnber the darker it is) red based color with 10 volume peroxide and now he is back to normal. I did try a temporary color on Rocky for the sun bleaching but it did nothing. It needed the peroxide to deposite the color.

Also, I do have areas where the color is on his coat, but I am going to use a 7F blade against the grain on those areas on Friday. The show is Saturday. By doing this, I think I will be able to blent his coat back to normal without having to shave his entire body. So that is the plan. I will let you all know how we do!! I hope hairdresseritis is not catchy!! :bgrin

Well I colored Rocky’s mane and tail...

...I have gone through about $45 worth of color.

...Today I colored him twice and STILL did not get good coverage.

...All this for one color class this weekend!
IMO...It makes no sense at all to apply human hair color to a horse in order to change the God-given color of the horse. If this is common practice, it doesn't say much for 'competition' within 'color' class at the show.

Fake, false, and misleading...but WooHoo...let's get a pretty little ribbon...maybe you should frame your $45 worth of receipts for the hair color.

Absolutely unbelievable. :new_shocked:

Wow! He looks great in the after pictures! I personally think he looks great with the dark black. I wouldn't take a horse in the show ring (well smaller shows but not the big shows) with a sun bleached mane and tail. Just my preference.

Well I colored Rocky’s mane and tail...

...I have gone through about $45 worth of color.

...Today I colored him twice and STILL did not get good coverage.

...All this for one color class this weekend!
IMO...It makes no sense at all to apply human hair color to a horse in order to change the God-given color of the horse. If this is common practice, it doesn't say much for 'competition' within 'color' class at the show.

Fake, false, and misleading...but WooHoo...let's get a pretty little ribbon...maybe you should frame your $45 worth of receipts for the hair color.

Absolutely unbelievable. :new_shocked:
Well that's ok. I knew I would get slammed. No big deal. I guess I had to try it to get it out of my system.

I couldn't find any "Horse Color" BTW. :bgrin

Oh don't let that old wet towel Krazy Horses get to you!!! It's all in good fun! Don't we all play with our friends, kids, animals hair and dress them up all goofy??? Yeesh! I'm thinking you are just going to a local open show but I can tell you that when I competed at the APHA World Show, horses manes and tails were all painted up with hair color in a can and many were plenty obvious especially if I could tell with my 40 year old eyes! So yes, you can get color for horses, it's called Shapley's Show Touch up. I have cans of Black and White for my horses scuffed knees, ankles, scabs, etc. I wouldn't go painting a big white spot on a solid horse at an APHA show but I would definitely use it to cover up blemishes or those nasty, hard to get rid of yellow and green spots! I've seen some pretty weird things at shows as far as hair "products" go! The last Paint show I was at I got a strong whiff of Pledge, hmmm, I tracked it down to the fume cloud eminating from a halter horse and sure-nuff, Pledge, all over that animal! He was lemoney fresh but yeesh, the fumes!

So, hair color, highlite gel for the face, gel for the mane, silicone sprays (and furniture polish) for the coat, polish for the hooves, glitter, stencils, corn starch for white socks, it's all out there!
default_yes.gif
: Bottom line is, you are out there playing with your horse, there's many many horses out there who hardly ever see the person who owns them. NO HARM DONE! I bet Rocky enjoyed the attention!

In support of Rocky, I think I WILL dye Freddies mane just for the fun of it! I need to dye my own too come to think of it ....... I'm seeing a lot of gray!!
default_wacko.png
:

Oh don't let that old wet towel Krazy Horses get to you!!! It's all in good fun! Don't we all play with our friends, kids, animals hair and dress them up all goofy??? Yeesh! I'm thinking you are just going to a local open show but I can tell you that when I competed at the APHA World Show, horses manes and tails were all painted up with hair color in a can and many were plenty obvious especially if I could tell with my 40 year old eyes! So yes, you can get color for horses, it's called Shapley's Show Touch up. I have cans of Black and White for my horses scuffed knees, ankles, scabs, etc. I wouldn't go painting a big white spot on a solid horse at an APHA show but I would definitely use it to cover up blemishes or those nasty, hard to get rid of yellow and green spots! I've seen some pretty weird things at shows as far as hair "products" go! The last Paint show I was at I got a strong whiff of Pledge, hmmm, I tracked it down to the fume cloud eminating from a halter horse and sure-nuff, Pledge, all over that animal! He was lemoney fresh but yeesh, the fumes!

So, hair color, highlite gel for the face, gel for the mane, silicone sprays (and furniture polish) for the coat, polish for the hooves, glitter, stencils, corn starch for white socks, it's all out there!
default_yes.gif
: Bottom line is, you are out there playing with your horse, there's many many horses out there who hardly ever see the person who owns them. NO HARM DONE! I bet Rocky enjoyed the attention!

In support of Rocky, I think I WILL dye Freddies mane just for the fun of it! I need to dye my own too come to think of it ....... I'm seeing a lot of gray!!
default_wacko.png
:

default_cheekkiss.gif
:

I took these today. He looks better in the sun.

buckskin005.jpg

buckskin006.jpg

I did nothing to his body coat. He just screams "I am a yellow Buckskin" with his dark mane and tail!!

he looks fabulous, don't listen to the other person.

What did Loren think about his new pony?

Quite the handsome fella you've got there :aktion033: --Love his dye job
default_wub.png
: . P.S.-- Slick's looking great too. Better give those boys a hug for me
default_yes.gif
: .

:Kim

I had to find out if it was show legal first though
His mane and tail look really great, what a difference. I know you can dye the mane and tail but I did not think it was legal to dye his legs. I believe this is an open show and NOT a sanctioned show so I don't think it matters but for future reference I would double check on the colouring of the legs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to find out if it was show legal first though
His mane and tail look really great, what a difference. I know you can dye the mane and tail but I did not think it was legal to dye his legs. I believe this is an open show and NOT a sanctioned show so I don't think it matters but for future reference I would double check on the colouring of the legs.
His legs are sheadding out fast. They are no longer the same color as his mane & tail. See??

buckskin006.jpg

I love what you did with him. A word of caution though--I have a brown horse whose mane and tail sun bleach badly, and I colored them with a dark brown for shows--looked great. Sadly, this was when I was in Iowa and I had no barn to keep him in for show season- The color in his mane and tail absolutely FRIED with sun exposure--I ended up roaching his mane at the end of the season and let it grow out. I won't dye him again unless I know he has a stall reserved for the season!!

Good luck at the show!! We are going to the Area 5 show with 6 horses and I am SOOO not ready... :new_shocked:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back