Chat Board "Nursery" - post pics of foals born with help from this board

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Marlanoc 2012 Foal Line Up!

Marlanoc TB Work of Art/ Picasso

picasso24.jpg

Marlanoc TB Might of Mjolnir/ Thor

thor32.jpg

Marlanoc TB Lokasenna/ Loki

loki21.jpg

Marlanoc TB Waltzing Matilda/ Tilly

tilly19.jpg

Marlanoc SP The Phantom/ Red

fantasyfoal03.jpg

Here are my two babies from 2012.

Merlin was born on the 16th May, luckily his mare was induced and my vet was present as he was a dummy foal. After lots (and lots) of TLC and plenty of encouragement from the "Aunties" here we managed to sort him out.

At 2 days old

18  may2012 010.jpg

18  may2012 007.jpg

At 6 days old

Merlin 6 days old 004.jpg

At the chewing stage!

chewing everything.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Then on the 6th of June (Matteo's B'day) Arthur was born and yet again his mum Odette did it all alone with no warning signs.
default_frusty.gif

At 10 days old

23 June 2012 001.jpg

The boys together

23 June 2012 004.jpg

A KISSY FOR THE AUNTIES

helloooooooooooo.JPG

Renee, both your babies are adorable. Sorry to be so uneducated but what is a dummy foal?

No problem this thread is here to help and educate. Foals suffering from this syndrome behave abnormally for a number of reasons. One of the most common is lack of oxygen due to the premature rupturing of the umbilical cord (red bag) but it can also be due to to dystocia, septicemia or low glucose levels.

A Dummy Foal with mild symptoms will lack the foal sucking response and may be disorientated and irritable. It may wander aimlessly around the stall, not appearing to know where it is or what it should be doing.

One with more severe symptoms which is what my foal had is that they may have seizures or even become comatose which believe me was very frightening. In either case, treatment should be stated immediately. Waiting and expecting it to improve without treatment will probably result in the loss of the foal.

Many Dummy Foals will return to normal within a few days of treatment which usually includes giving the foal glucose, oxygen and oral or intravenous nutrition ie. milking mum and feeding the foal.

As you can see with my little man he turned out just fine after just 4 days of constant help with feeding and keeping him warm. The only down side is that he is a little over confident with people as we bonded so much in his first days. I tried to keep to as little contact as possible but it is hard when you are feeding them and lets face it they are just soooo cute, his mum seemed to understand and was totally fine about me milking her to feed her baby.

I hope that helps.

Renee

Oh Renee, I remember so well how we all crossed our fingers and held our breaths for Britt as she got closer to foaling and then when little Merlin was safely delivered, there followed the long and exhausting hours and days (and our prayers) as you fought to keep him going and to get him to survive, both for his sake and that of Britt's. You were amazing and the fact that Britt, at last, had a baby to love was entirely down to your efforts.

Thank you for posting the pictures of Merlin and Arthur, great to see them again and you managed to include little Alby and sweet Izzy too - brilliant!
default_yes.gif

Thanks Anna, I am waiting for some new pics of him to arrive as I haven't seen him since June
default_no.gif
Don't worry I will post them as soon as they arrive.

I almost forgot to put up piccies of the foal that was born at my place last year... naughty Cassie!

here is Hudson...

1 day old so little and cute! IMG_2567.JPG

1 month old loves his legs! 74828_10151448817399027_1717799677_n.jpg

and 3 months old, getting to be a big man at his temporary home in Canberra! 528607_475007389207427_1908560722_n.jpg

Thank you to all that helped and gave advice as we counted down to the birth of our little stud colt. I so appreciate all your support and help!
default_smile.png

So, at less than 24 hours old, born March 5th somewhere around 9pm.
default_smile.png
: Lionheart's Dreamy Blue Valentine

Sire: First Knights Dare To Dream

Dam: Longman's Ranger Blue Ripley

ripleyfoal1.jpg

I am not a red fan either but when they are THAT gorgeous colour doesn't matter. If you want though just ship him over here to Italy and I will hide him
default_new_rofl.gif
Oh and you best ship mum too
default_whistling.gif

I guess I'd better post my first little guy born this year on Mar. 11 at 8am. Mom finished breakfast and dropped immediately to foal. I just about missed it, but nope I caught her pushing on cam and ran out to videotape it all. By his cannon bone measurements he is gonna be a little guy (about 32 inches tall).

IMG_1022.JPG

Wow Amanda with a quick glance at his color I thought I must have already posted to this thread with my filly until I noticed his star! My mare and yours must have conspired to be sneaky; my mare did nearly the same thing as yours. When I left her she was quietly hoovering her dinner but when I checked on her 45 min later her dinner was all gone and baby was partway out!
default_doh.gif

Here's Willow and proud mama Charm
default_smile.png

DSC04034.JPG Charm 130327 (5).JPG

Here's MMM Designs Roll Of The Dice, barn name Dice, born on March 25 at a whopping 354 days gestation. He is a silver(smokey?) black pinto with two crystal blue eyes.

Dam is 30" and sire is 30 1/2". His cannon length is 8 3/4", making his maturity height between 32-34".

First pic morning after he was born and second pic is when he is 5 days old.

SANY0494.JPG

SANY0523.JPG

Latest posts

Back