Charm - Filly 3/23/13!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugaryCharm

Reaction score
Hi all!
default_saludando.gif
I just wanted to start a thread for Charm and let you know I am enjoying watching everyone elses' mares progress. Charm is 5 this year and a maiden mare. She just came to us in January, and the girl I bought her from had only had her a few months so her history is a bit sketchy. She ran with a pinto mini stallion for "a good while" (not sure how long that is) until the stud was removed in April, so counting back from there, I suppose she could theoretically go any time between now (though IMO she doesn't look quite ready just yet) and late March.
default_impatient.jpg
She has not been confirmed in foal by ultrasound or Weefoal but I am pretty confident based on the way her belly has been expanding and jumping around these last weeks! Here are some pictures I took this morning while Charm was enjoying her breakfast (excuse the shavings):

Charm 130201 (1).JPG Charm 130201 (2).JPG

Charm 130201 (3).JPG Charm 130201 (4).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there! I'm not a very good judge of "is she or isn't she" much less when will she foal. I wasn't sure if my mare was bred until the vet did an external ultrasound and we saw the spine, etc .... She is usually big bellied from previous pregnancies so I didn't have a clue until then. I did see my stallion breed her but he's a newbie at babymaking. She ran him down and demanded service ... poor little guy. Funniest thing I had ever seen and he ran from her for awhile.

Your mare is beautiful and I'm sure there will be more pics requested to see those other important areas!

Good luck and we are all here watchin and waitin ...... impatiently!!!!!

I did see my stallion breed her but he's a newbie at babymaking. She ran him down and demanded service ... poor little guy. Funniest thing I had ever seen and he ran from her for awhile.
default_new_rofl.gif
I laughed out loud picturing that, thanks for sharing! Your mare is lovely as well...I love the pintos! Her face marking reminds me strongly of a gelding my mom used to have.

Diane, thanks for the kind welcome!
default_smile.png
I have only seen the baby kick a couple of times, but were very active both times--I think the most recent occasion was last week. I think her udder is just starting to develop--will have to try for another udder pic tomorrow (took one today but it came out blurry). I think her hooha looks rather relaxed for a maiden mare, compared to others I've seen on this board. Here's a pic:

DSC03712.JPG

She was being fed prairie hay only when I bought her. I've slowly switched her over to basically free choice bermuda plus a bit of alfalfa twice a day and about 1/4 lb of Strategy with Mega-Cell for vitamins. Not sure if that is too much/too little but she seems to be doing OK so far--feeling frisky and her belly is growing pretty rapidly.

Looking forward to passing the time with everyone here. You guys are great!

Oh excited for you. Our chestnut mares are going to be due really close together it seems. We havent had ours long either and I had very little information when she came to us. I didnt even know for sure if she had been bred until I saw her belly move a lot. You can look at my start up thread of Jewel here to see her pictures. I am thinking she(our Jewel) is about 10 months along now but not really sure. How fun to see other pictures of horses that are close.

Hello and welcome from Australia! Charm certainly sounds like she's pregnant. At least you've only got a little while to go to find out! Cute little lady btw, can't wait to see her baby
default_smile.png

Welcome, so glad to have you and Charm join us here in the Nutty Nursery! She is a cute little lady and certainly looks preggers - do you have any more info about the stallion?

Meanwhile, as Diane says, we would love to hear more about any of your other animals.
default_yes.gif

Thanks again for all the welcomes!
default_yes.gif
I wish I knew more about the stallion, but I'm twice removed from that info
default_thumbdown.gif
, as the girl I purchased Charm from sounded as if she had little interest in minis and had planned to resell Charm all along (she got her from a friend who was moving). So other than being a pinto mini, daddy is an enigma. Charm is AMHR registered (hopefully I get her papers someday...they had been sent off to get Charm transferred into the girl's name when I purchased her) but the foal will be grade--oh well.

Here's the udder pic I promised yesterday:

Charm 130202.JPG

In addition to Charm, we have a 15.1 hand APHA/PtHA mare, Sugar, who is generally not sweet at all
default_doh.gif
and three indoor cats, Noobie, Ruby and Boots. Boots has a thing for shoes, so at least one of our animals was named well:

DSC02445.JPG

Upon my vet's advice, Charm got a late Rhino shot today...I was pretty nervous since I had never given a mini a shot before (but have done BH shots), but Charm took it like a champ. I also took the opportunity to get some new pics while dear hubby was around to hold her for me!
default_thumbup.gif

Charm 130206 (1).JPG Charm 130206 (5).JPG

Charm 130206 (2).JPG Charm 130206 (3).JPG Charm 130206 (4).JPG

Hello and welcome from snowy Italy
default_saludando.gif
Charm is moving along nicely and judging by her pointy belly it looks like baby is moving into "take off" position, her udder is progressing too as you can see in the 2 pics you posted.

/monthly_02_2013/post-45064-0-52319000-1359843212_thumb.jpg

/monthly_02_2013/post-45064-0-52659700-1360205379_thumb.jpg

How are things coming along for this horse's due date. She looks so close to our horses size and may foal close to the same time. Horses are so hard to tell. I got where I could easily guess on our Boer Doe Goats when they would kid.

Hi and Welcome from Australia
default_smile.png

so glad you have joined us! gorgeous girl and wow she has dropped in those recent pics! she is starting to bag up too woohoo! looks like she is right on track for a March bubby! yay!

ok so next question... will you be setting up marestare so we can help watch?

Hi again, sorry for the delayed response. Lots going on these days! Not much to report in the baby progress department--Charm's progress seems to have slowed, or maybe I am just staring too hard!
default_laugh.png
We have been getting snow and freezing rain the last couple of days so it has been pretty miserable. Poor Charm had ice-ball "high heels" yesterday that she would shed every 5-6 steps and then immediately start accumulating again. (Anyone have a good remedy for that I can use next time?) Now it is mostly a mess of puddles and mud. Will get new pictures in the next couple days!

Forgot to add--I wish I could put Charm on Marestare, as I am going to have to be gone for work for a few days here soon, but we have a data limit on our internet that prohibits it. I am hoping she foals before then but it's not looking promising so far!

For the snowy high heels (love that idea) you can use the grease spray that you use in the kitchen, American girls help me here cos I can't remember the name
default_frusty.gif

Latest posts

Back