Chariot Driving class at Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinisOutWest

Reaction score
default_new_shocked.gif
Chariot Driving- while reading thru the amhr rule book, I was educated just enough for the chariot driving class. it is not a race, it is a costume driving class !!!!!

Now I am dangerous !!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

And in trouble, I want to try it with my over gelding Beau. ha ha ha. but who cares, I want to try it.

So where do I start? a chariot? where do I find one? wasnt there one for sale on this site a while back?

any help will be great !!!

It is suppose to be judged 50% of overall look and 50% on performance and manners. Last year was nuts. I won't be going into it at Nationals this year. I will be watching it as a spectator only. I was selling my chariot cart but decided against it, I love the class to much and now I think my horse can go back into it.

It was pretty simple with my boy learning how to do it, he is quiet and mellow as it is. He knew the cues to canter already, being 2 year old lounge line champion at local show, and he knew how to drive, now just combine the two, I simply started out in a regular easy entry. Got my chariot from Lutke harnesses, hooked him up to it, had no problems with it, it was just learning how to stand in that thing lol.

Chariot is a lot of fun, if you horse is quiet enough, and you can trust him, and everyone else around you lol, you should d fine.

I love watching the chariot classes. Last year in the amateur division my good friend Ron was there. I have some pictures of him driving his horse Star ( a very sweet horse). Jamie I think that is you to the left and the little horse behind Ron (in the middle) was an awesome little horse to watch. Ron loves this class and will not get to participate this year, he has chemo the week before Nationals. I know he will miss driving in it and so will Star.

Chariot class

Chariot Class again

Sorry about using links, I could not get the pictures to post correctly, it kept telling not to use something dynamic?
default_sad.png

might have found a completed chariot and one that needs finishes. but need photos of how the shafts connect to the chariot, I cannot picture this in my mind. How do I know if the chariot is sturdy and safe, somebody mentioned a chariot fell apart. what? holy cow!!!

Angela the chariot that broke was the girl driving behind Ron in the first pic. The horse was stretched in a flat out run and it just took everything in stride. Nice horse like I said.

Angela,

I don't know if I would just jump into this class if I was you without several practice sessions. Maybe Keely will pop in? Keely's cart is the one that broke and let me tell you, a lesser horse/exhibitor team would have ended up seriously hurt.

I want to add that Keely and her horse were fearless! I was out of my chair on the first stretch she took around the opposite side of the arena, it was really something to see.

I really hate it Rona and Star can not show in it this year, we were talking about the class this morning and being their second year would have been even better.

Well, funny thing. Being from the quarter horse industry, that is one thing I do- get bored just walking and trotting in a cart, so my horses can lope and canter too with the cart- with their heads set like a western horse. guess with just 2 horses, I have too much time on my hands. But you are right. I think I will start now to get the Chariot thing going, but with as much research I am having to do to have the ultimate cart, it is going to be 3-6 months of work on the cart alone, unless I buy one I like 100%. Been watching a lot of old roman chariot racing movies and getting as authentic as I can. But the ' little roman tighties' is another story AL!!!! Now that one I have to give some thought to.

This is the absolute coolest class there is. I am chomping at my own bit just waiting to get into it. I’ve got a chariot collecting dust just waiting on a horse (yes, I got the cart before the horse).

I am going to get mine reinforced a bit before taking it full speed. (My Chariot horse(s) will be slightly larger since I am as well.) I got a good look at the chariot that broke last year and have some ideas on how to improve the strength. Come find me at Belinda’s stalls during Nationals and I would love to talk to you about it. All the people in the class have always been very nice and helpful when I ask to look over their rigs. They’re great at sharing ideas.

Terri, please tell Ron his big, bald buddy from the Water’n Hole will be thinking of him. He’s one of my favoritist people to talk to. Actually, could you PM me his contact info? Not seeing him in chariot is going to be a big let down because I know how much he loves it.

The chariot class is John's absolute favorite. He was hoping to get to do it again at Nationals this year, but unfortunatley we are unable to attend. Good luck to all -- it is quite the class. We have also driven it with 4 abreast-- that is fun as well.

Larry Parnell told me he was sure hoping that John & Ron would be in a class together -- looks like it won't happen this year.

Joe & Scott got to try out Larry's chariot when they were down to his driving seminar last year. THey certainly had a good time.

I just wanted to add, Ron will be at Nationals and hanging around the Waterin' Hole
default_yes.gif
He just will not be driving the Chariot.

Well, funny thing. Being from the quarter horse industry, that is one thing I do- get bored just walking and trotting in a cart, so my horses can lope and canter too with the cart-
I applaud you for wanting to give it a try and I do think you are on the right track with having your horses already canter in cart. I do believe for safety reasons every horse should be very comfortable cantering in cart.

Latest posts

Back